SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 02:41 PM   #1
JLeo
JLeo is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Love my Ion - HATE the wheels, help!

Hey Everybody,

My Ion 2 is now about 2 months old with about 5K on it. I must say that I dig it. Fresh design, new ideas, center console, all good stuff. I've driven every model of Saturn since their inception. The model has potential for satisfaction all around.

Except for the tires and rims, people...........damn!

Anybody else out there notice that the wheelwell on these cars can very well have its own zip code. The one thing that ticks me off considerably every time I look to admire my new car is the illusion that my Ion 2 is riding on 4 donut tires. And I've got the 15" caps! My brother has the 14" set and those are even more pathetic.

So what can we do about this problemo? New tires and rims.....and thus the basis of my questions - of which I have two:

1. Does anybody know the measurements of the 4 bolt pattern for ordering new rims?

2. The wheelwell is gigantic, does anyone think the Ion can handle a set of 18's without suspension mods and/or speed bump/pothole concerns?

I appreciate your comments either through this post or email. If you've got photos of your Ion with some 17's or 18's I'd love to see those as well!

Feel free to point me to links or posts that may address this - I hate to be redundant on message boards and I apologize if I am.

Thanks everybody, have a great day!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JLeo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JLeo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Red_Forman
Red_Forman is on a distinguished road

go to tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com. they already have wheels for the ION.....and i agree. i've got an ION2 with the 15's, hubs, and strangely low profile firestones that make the wheels look really small in the big wheel well. i'm going to wait until the tires need replacing to buy a wheel and tire package. probably 17's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red_Forman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red_Forman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

The ION QC RL is going to have 17"s so I would think it should be able to handle those.

SixFlagsForum.com
VeggieBoards.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
IoninSA
IoninSA is on a distinguished road

Happy Looks like I'll be going with 16-inch wheels

Although unexpected repairs to the fiance's Saturn SL have caused a delay in my plans, I think I will buy 16-inch wheels and rims sometime in the next few months. I see www.discounttire.com has some nice ones for under $100 each. And you can have them installed at your local Discount Tire store (who should have them in stock).

The 16's look good on the ION3. I checked with the service center today and they told me there is a setting in the computer for the wheel size that they can change. The tech was uncertain whether that affected anything more than the speedometer, though.

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IoninSA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IoninSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2003, 09:01 PM   #5
ION
ION is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Looks like I'll be going with 16-inch wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by IoninSA
I checked with the service center today and they told me there is a setting in the computer for the wheel size that they can change. The tech was uncertain whether that affected anything more than the speedometer, though.

John
When I test drove the 1,2 and 3, the 3 handled much better than the 1 for high speed steering feel. I take off-ramps pretty fast. I am not 100% sure of this, but I am assuming that the computer also changes the steering feel or amount of boost the electric steering provides. As I stated, I do not know this for fact, I just know that the steering felt much more "Euro-sporty" (if that can be a word) on the Ion3 than on the Ion 1 that I drove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread