SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
GoatAndMonkeys
GoatAndMonkeys is on a distinguished road

Default New 2002 Saturn L200 owner. Stereo and general inquiry.

I just won a 2002 Saturn L200 at auction for $1100. It's my first car. Turns out it only had 37k miles on it. No one at the auction knew. I only found out when I got keys made for it. I feel very lucky. I wanted to know about any common issues with this model and what I should be looking out for.

I want to replace the car stereo. I've done this in two other cars previously. If I remove the single din stereo it came with will I be able to pop a new unit in or do I need to buy some sort of bracket? If I want to replace the front speakers should I use 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers? do I need to buy an adapter? should I replace the tweeters too? should I get a new crossover?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GoatAndMonkeys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GoatAndMonkeys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GoatAndMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
linearbit8
linearbit8 has a spectacular aura aboutlinearbit8 has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: New 2002 Saturn L200 owner. Stereo and general inquiry.

First thing I did when I got my 2001 L200 was replace the sound system. The stereo it self is a dual din design. You'll need a bracket no matter what size you will put in. They're about $15-20. The front speakers are so I would recommend using that size. The majority of speakers won't line up with the pre-drilled holes. I used self tapping screws and put a few layers of 3M adhesive pads between the speaker and the door frame. It sounds pretty good that way. I just cut and crimped the speaker wires so an adapter was not needed. As for the tweeters, mine were blown. I never replaced them since I bought 3 way speakers for front and back. If you are not installing a subwoofer, I wouldn't bother with a crossover. The L series comes with an amplifier/crossover out of the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linearbit8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linearbit8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linearbit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
GoatAndMonkeys

My factory stereo is not a double din, just half the space.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GoatAndMonkeys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatAndMonkeys View Post
My factory stereo is not a double din, just half the space.
Post a picture...

You can use the spacer brackets from the old speakers to space the new 6.5"s from the door. Without a spacer, the window will hit it when rolling down. Just takes a little plastic trimming. The rear uses a smaller size stock, but you can use 6.5"s without a spacer back there. Component speakers, with the separate tweaters, are a great replacement.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
linearbit8
linearbit8 has a spectacular aura aboutlinearbit8 has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It is double din, there's just a tray attached to the stereo. Here's a picture of my JVC head unit. And my speakers don't hit the window at all. Mine are spaced maybe a third of an inch away from the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-22 17.09.57.jpg (85.7 KB, 58 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linearbit8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linearbit8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linearbit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatAndMonkeys View Post
I just won a 2002 Saturn L200 at auction for $1100. It's my first car. Turns out it only had 37k miles on it. No one at the auction knew. I only found out when I got keys made for it. I feel very lucky. I wanted to know about any common issues with this model and what I should be looking out for.

I want to replace the car stereo. I've done this in two other cars previously. If I remove the single din stereo it came with will I be able to pop a new unit in or do I need to buy some sort of bracket? If I want to replace the front speakers should I use 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers? do I need to buy an adapter? should I replace the tweeters too? should I get a new crossover?
No you should be able to use your old brackets and screws don't throw those away regardless of what anyone says you will regret it. Any Single din stereo should fit just get a adapter plug don't I mean can't stress don't cut your existing radio wiring harness use a adapter to save it should you in the future want to change the stereo. I seen used car with this cutting and it's a mess not to mention damage the wire more then it help. Front are if I remember are 5 1/4 just get some good quality speakers and you should be fine I don't think you can fit 6 1/2 in there but I have to check my GM Service manuals to see what size they are but I think they are standard size aka 5 1/4 speakers size - have to check on that or if someone else knows the correct size? Tweeters should be find it's the larger speakers you should worry more about those tends to go out sooner as they will do more work aka base and full range. No crossover is needed unless your making a sound system or subwoofer box in the rear. But if you just want to enjoy clean sound just upgrade your current speakers to rubber lined speaker and you should have a good time listening. I done my fair share of audio upgrade and speakers are top priority with stereo second as speakers are harder to get to and more selections to pick from and stereo sometimes you have limits to what you can afford but easier to swap should it come to it. My 03 Saturn L300 has the factory 6 disc changer and so far it is sounding just fine and the lights doesn't blind me as did my custom Stereo did so that might be something you should consider how bright is it at night driving if too bright then you should consider a stereo that when you dim it dims as well. Hopefully that didn't scare you away from stereo upgrade but those are some factors you should consider when upgrading factory stereo. Should make a upgrade procedure list but I will see how this goes first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hmm...now I just noticed it is a JVC that should be a ok stereo to use but check the wiring and hopefully the factory harness is still intact and they used a adapter connector if not that will be a tricking thing to work with. But I would first consider replacing your speaker to improve your sound output.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
DCW1
DCW1 has a spectacular aura aboutDCW1 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 AURA XR

I put a Kenwood DPX500BT stereo in my L200 and it only took a few minutes (less than 30). All you need is the Metra 70-2002 wiring harness and the Metra 95-3106 Double Din Installation Kit. It is a piece of cake. This stereo has Bluetooth and is XM ready. If you want satellite radio, just buy the SiriusXM SXV200v1 and it will plug right into the back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DCW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DCW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DCW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

I put a Pioneer single DIN (DEH-P9400BH) in my L200. It's an easy job, and if you have done it before, there will be nothing unfamiliar. It does require using a harness and bracket, but they are easy to find on Amazon or Crutchfield.

As to the speaker in the front door, I put in Pioneer 6.5 (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A16...r+car+speakers) with separate tweeters. I tried using the existing wiring for the tweeters, but I just seemed like the speaker wire in the door was split and I was having the tweeters max out. I then took them off the original wiring (capped off the old tweeter wires) and hooked up the crossover that came with the speakers to the wire to the woofer and it now works perfectly.

One thing to keep in mind with the front door speakers is that they are on a spacer to keep the cone from coming in contact with the window. You can cut the spacer off the old speakers, and may need to use epoxy or some other creative solution to attach it to the new speakers. But you already have the correct 'spacer' in the car. You can also by after market spacers that would fit as well. I wasn't smart enough to take pictures while I was doing it, but it's fairly obvious once you get the old speakers out. There is one individual saying they put in new speakers without the spacer and they don't have a conflict with their window, but I'm not sure how that worked out, as it was pretty tight clearance when I put in the new speakers.

I've also hear recommendations of getting the speaker baffles (foam cups that fit around the rear of the speaker) to keep the water that drains through the doors off the speaker cone and prevent premature deterioration of the cone material.

2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
GoatAndMonkeys

For those searching for the same issue, I did end up needing a mounting bracket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!