SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
splatmouse
splatmouse is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Attention 07 Ion 2 Radio Wiring Diagram

I've searched and searched locally for a harness and it's annoying me that everything is special order (5 to 7 days). I don't trust ordering online because there are several different plugs and I am sure I'll screw up ordering the part. Can anyone break down for me the wiring in each of the plugs in the back of the OEM radio? I've scowered Google to no avail. I have the base unit with XM radio. I have enough experience to easily install the aftermarket unit, I just know there is something that is going to come back and bite me if I don't get it right the first time.

Thanks for the quick help!

p.s. I am really starting to dig the Ion. I just purchased it about two months ago and other than the factory radio being about as useful as a legless, armless police officer; I really like it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to splatmouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help splatmouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
splatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 07 Ion 2 Radio Wiring Diagram

Crutchfield is your best bet for ordering one, it's what they do. I can't over-emphasize how bad an idea trying to cut the harness and hard wrote in a stereo on a modern car is.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thank you for your suggestion. However, while it is bad for someone who has no experience in installing things; someone like myself who understands the concepts of vehicle wiring it's not as bad. I have no vehicle diagnostics or anti-theft systems to deal with. My issue is that I have satellite radio routed into my OEM and I thought someone on here would be nice enough to provide me with the details so I can splice into only the wires needed (I prefer this method over the cut em all and figure it out method with a hard install). I am pretty sure that the 96 and 97 have the same wiring schematic, but I was wanting confirmation from someone who has been there before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help splatmouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the 2007 shares nothing in common with the 96 and 97 from a wiring perspective. they're completely different cars. this has nothing to do with being nice, or not, it's about the fact that they aren't really available, which is one reason why this is ill advised. there have been many people on here looking for the same info, to no avail. these cars are hard (at best) to trace the wires without a schematic, by anyone's standards. I've done this on a BMW, and it was doable, but I would just buy the adapter for this car.only one or two people have come on here with issues related to harnesses, whereas many have had issues trying to hard wire them.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Okay let's say I take your advice, there are at least three different plugs used. Two for the same radio but nothing explaining the difference. Help me out and I will take your advice. I have 4 speakers, XM radio built it, OnStar is on the rear view and there are only two plugs (minus antenna) out of the back of the OEM. Point me to the right harness? I've been on Metra and Crutchfield but neither are conclusive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

All of the 2006-2007 ION OEM radios use the same harness that has two male plugs. To install an aftermarket radio you will need the Metra p/n 70-2202 (or equivalent) adapter harness. The plugs that go to the factory radio go into this adapter harness. The other part number you saw (71-2202) is what you buy if the plugs that go into the factory radio were cut off or needed to be replaced for some reason.

Here is a link to the correct diagram.

You will also need Metra p/n GMOS-LAN-06 or equivalent to keep the functionality of OnStar and the warning chimes.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 11-15-2013 at 12:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

pm me your vin and i will tell you the rpo code of the radio.. that should help narrow it down a lot..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
pm me your vin and i will tell you the rpo code of the radio.. that should help narrow it down a lot..
No need to lookup the VIN.

The Saturn RPO codes are easy to remember.

AM-FM-CD (opt U1C)
AM-FM-CD-MP3 (opt US8)
AM-FM-muti-disc-MP3 (opt US9)

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if you followed my advice, you would have gone to crutchfield.com, looked under "find what fits my vehicle", then clicked on parts&tools to install a receiver, then vehicle specific wiring harnesses, and you would have seen one option, not 3. but you didn't follow my advice...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
if you followed my advice, you would have gone to crutchfield.com, looked under "find what fits my vehicle", then clicked on parts&tools to install a receiver, then vehicle specific wiring harnesses, and you would have seen one option, not 3. but you didn't follow my advice...

Did follow your advice. Guess I'll just suffer till next week. Im having reception problems on top of a glitchy unit, is thatt common or should i consider replacing the antenna as well? Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Also, I am assuming the Serial/dlc is for chimes and audible warnings?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I think you just have a bad head unit. the warnings and chimes are handled by the instrument panel, the stereo has no effect on it (unlike the '97-'03 malibus, for example). it's unlikely the antenna has gone bad. it's unlikely the radio has gone bad, but it's more likely than the antenna. did you perform the "hide the antenna" mod? what is "serial/dlc"? have you tried just unplugging and re plugging in the radio/antenna a dozen or so times? twisting the antenna plug, or unplugging/plugging it back in will clean both the contacts in the radio and the plug.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
I think you just have a bad head unit. the warnings and chimes are handled by the instrument panel, the stereo has no effect on it (unlike the '97-'03 malibus, for example). it's unlikely the antenna has gone bad. it's unlikely the radio has gone bad, but it's more likely than the antenna. did you perform the "hide the antenna" mod? what is "serial/dlc"? have you tried just unplugging and re plugging in the radio/antenna a dozen or so times? twisting the antenna plug, or unplugging/plugging it back in will clean both the contacts in the radio and the plug.

Im not a modder yet...lol. Serial and DLC are both lines that run from the OEM unit. Just wondering if I had to maybe do anything special after I get it all installed. Ive read about some cars that have to program the aftermarket unit to the cars CPU. Although the diagram provided looks pretty straight forward outside of those three wires (serial and dlc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Biohzrd1
Biohzrd1 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Could have taken it to a local stereo shop, if one is available

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Biohzrd1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Biohzrd1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Biohzrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohzrd1 View Post
Could have taken it to a local stereo shop, if one is available
I would have but even if I provided all of the parts including wiring harness it still would have cost me $75. I mean with a harness it'll take 15 minutes (if that) to wire up. I used to work at a shop here in town. So I know what I am doing. However, I also know that a lot of newer vehicles come with anti-deterrent systems that are sometimes built into the OEM head units. After searching though it doesn't look there are any counter measures in the 07 Ion 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I don't see serial or dlc listed as wires coming from the adapter plug.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
splatmouse

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Install went well. Had to dust off pin knowledge. Thanks everyone for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1115131929.jpg (63.0 KB, 30 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!