SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
chiefwhahoo2
chiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the roughchiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the roughchiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the roughchiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Dizzy 2002 LW200 with 306000km's - starting & not starting issse

Hi all, let me start off by saying that I love this forum for Saturn owners. It has been useful somewhat for me in trying to diagnose the issue with my L-series wagon. I am hoping to get more answers that can help. My car has just started recently not starting then starting and running for a few days then not starting. I listen for my fuel pump to cycle before starting but sometimes I can't hear it all the time. I have no service lights coming on (but the SES light was on for about 2 weeks before this began but now is out). My passlock light does it bulb check & goes out. I have changed fuel filter thinking I had picked up dirty fuel. I have also changed fuel relay switch. It starts with that changed then quits & will not restart. The relay switch is more than warm when I remove it & replace with old one. I just tried replacing lock cylinder housing I picked up at a wreckers but could not get the BCM to relearn after many attempts over several hours wearing down my battery cuz DRL are on while trying to relearn for 30 mins. I put old lock housing back in & it started right away...no relearn required. I am leaning towards a new CPS after reading that it can contribute to a no start situation. Hope I can get some advice on this to proceed of try something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chiefwhahoo2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chiefwhahoo2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chiefwhahoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 LW200 with 306000km's - starting & not starting issse

You seem to have narrowed the problem down and just need some fine tuning in troubleshooting. One way to monitor the fuel pump would be to use a fuel pressure gauge on the test valve. Another is wiring a test lamp to the fuel pump relay terminal 30 with the ground wire anywhere on the engine/chassis. Just turning ON ignition should either turn on the test light or display pressure on the pressure gauge for 2-seconds. Easy to do and repeatable as the pump must run every time the ign switch is turned ON.

Testing for fuel pump operation is relatively easy compared to spark testing. With 306k kms/109k miles, this may or may not be a worn out fuel pump so using one or both suggested tests can help tremendously to find out if a pump is on its way out. Testing for spark is a little more difficult.

Spark testing requires removing the ignition coil pack/ignition control module and spark plugs to lay out over the engine and reconnecting everything for a visual spark test. If its more work than you desire, the crank sensor would be a logical next step to test. Crank sensors have a resistance value in a narrow range that can be measured with a multimeter - 700-1200 ohms. Testing one should be done at normal temps, immersed in boiling water and rapped several times against a bench table to duplicate heat, cold, and vibration - the conditions all crank sensors operate in. Any readings not within range would mean cps failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
chiefwhahoo2
chiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the roughchiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the roughchiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the roughchiefwhahoo2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Thumbs Up Re: 2002 LW200 with 306000km's - starting & not starting issse

Thanks for quick reply. I am going to try the cps test first...it much easier to change than the fuel pump & is less expensive than the fuel pump without a sending unit or float arm attached(I have checked into that already over $400 cdn whereas the sensor is less than $50). I will look at the fuel pump issue later but before it is too late cuz when running the car runs fine...no hesitation and will start up within 2 or 3 cranks of the engine. Will pass on the information as to how I do if the cps is the culprit. Meanwhile I have an ignition housing for an L-series with a key that I just wasted $100 on and they will not refund only replace if not working. Know anybody that needs that part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chiefwhahoo2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nope. Try ebay or c/l. Because you're new here and already know about the wealth of free information, don't hesitate to ask here first before plunking down money. Sharing our experiences and troubles/solutions allows the lowest cost repairs possible.

Lets hope its just a crank sensor failure. I agree with your assessment of the fuel pump still working but its now a little on the age side of history and should be kept in mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
chiefwhahoo2

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Happy Re: 2002 LW200 with 306000km's - starting & not starting issse

Well I finally got the cps replaced Not too much trouble changing it out spent more time removing & re-installing the starter motor. It starts on command. In fact it had been starting all week long so I could to & from work but as I was on my way to pick up the cps today my SES light came on. I know that it has something to do with emissions probably the O2 sensor but now that the cps is changed the SES light is out. I believe that having the battery disconnected reset the light. Now I have to wait until it comes on again & then find out the code(s) it is storing.

Thanks again for the advice. I have done a couple of bench tests on the old cps -- I get low 700 ohms reading...just have to do the boil test

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

My 02 LW300 had the start / not start issue just like yours at 100k miles. Random no-starts. LAter, starts right up.
A new Crank Position Sensor resolved the issue. I think I recall, it was not throwing a code.

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
Wayne G.
Wayne G. is a name known to allWayne G. is a name known to allWayne G. is a name known to allWayne G. is a name known to allWayne G. is a name known to allWayne G. is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wagonsky View Post
My 02 LW300 had the start / not start issue just like yours at 100k miles. Random no-starts. Later, starts right up.
A new Crank Position Sensor resolved the issue. I think I recall, it was not throwing a code.
I second this reply. Had the same issues with my L300 the sensor eliminated the problem. It is a 10 min replacement job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wayne G.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wayne G. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wayne G. is offline   Reply With Quote