SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
02sc22013
02sc22013 is on a distinguished road

Default '02 SC2 Manual Wont Go Into Gear

I just replaced the clutch on my saturn. And now that I have everything back together I had it in gear, pressed in the clutch pedal and started it. It jerked like it wanted to pull forward and was running at higher RPM. I was able to take it out of gear while running, but I could not put it back in gear (grinding). The slave cylinder was in place just fine, the clutch is supposed to be self adjusting, the shifter cables are connected, there is no leaking fluid from the hydraulic system for the transmission? It was idling just fine when I got it out of gear. From what I have read it could be a bad slave cylinder, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Is there any where I could have replaced the clutch fork wrong or something? I don't want to run out and buy a new slave cylinder unless I know that it what the problem is.

There is no tension when I press down the pedal, which tells me that it is not disengaging the clutch.

Any help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02sc22013's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02sc22013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02sc22013 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: '02 SC2 Manual Wont Go Into Gear

Did the operating rod miss the clutch fork? To find out do a wire test per these instructions.

Clutch Wire Test
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=wire+test
How the clutch hydraulics works
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183128

The next question is where did the new clutch come from?

Welcome to the forum!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
02sc22013

If you mean the piston in the slave cylinder, it is right up against the fork. I have checked it twice. Still no tension in the pedal. The reservoir is full of fluid so it is not leaking anywhere. I was told to flush the system, or bleed it. But I do not see any way to bleed the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 02sc22013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is a sealed system and can not be either flushed or bled. Attempts to do so will result in the expenditure of ~100+ for a complete replacement.

Do a wire test to check if the fork is moving. If you had the slave above the level of the master cylinder while doing the replacement the slave may be air bound.

Where did you obtain the replacement clutch assembly?

Last edited by OldNuc; 03-13-2013 at 04:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
02sc22013

I purchased the new clutch kit from Advanced Auto Parts. The Slave cylinder was placed at or above the level of the master cylinder when I moved it out of the way. So I assume there is air in the system. How do I fix it?

Also, you can purchase a new slave cylinder to install. If you can install a new slave cylinder you have to break the lines do you not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is a completely sealed system, you replace it all. Carefully remove the slave from the transmission being extremely careful to not allow the rod to fall out of the front of the slave. If you unlatch it slowly and allow the spring to push it back you will be able to easily capture the rod and not drop it into the bell housing. Once out of the transmission you can slowly pressing the operating rod while maintaining the pulsation damper and slave below the level of the master cylinder and then allow it to slowly extend. Now remove MC cap and see if there are any bubbles on the surface. Keep cap on while stroking cylinder as it will squirt fluid all over. There is supposed to be a plastic tip on the end of the operating rod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
02sc22013

And that should help remove any air that could be in the system and save me from having to replace the whole thing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Maybe. Wont hurt. It is not an uncommon occurrence for these brand X clutch kits to fail to function as well. That is why you should perform the wire test to verify proper or improper slave operation.

When you installed the clutch cover is it pulled all the way down onto the flywheel before the bolts were torqued?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
02sc22013

Im not sure what you are asking. If you are asking if the flex plate was able to fit flush up against the flywheel without having to put bolts on? No.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
02sc22013

But like I said. There is NO tension is the clutch pedal. It springs back up after you press it down. But it's extremely easy to press it down. And all it does when I try to put it in gear is grind. If I start it in gear it starts and starts moving right away.

The pressure plate was about 1/4" or so away from flywheel without putting the bolts on. I had to put the bolts on to seat it.

I have a feeling it's all in my hydraulic system. Not my clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Ramics
Advanced Member
Ramics is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I just went through this as well. New clutch and no engagement.

If you have floor mats in there, you might want to move them. You are going to need all the travel you can possibly get.

Try ALL of the gears. If you can get the clutch to grab at all, keep at it. Soon you will wear it in a bit where it will be as stock as it shoud be.

Can you get into any forward gears at all?

Once you have a little success keep driving and shifting. Eventually you will wear it in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ramics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ramics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ramics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Bad news! I had the same thing, except I bought an AUTO ZONE clutch kit. I'm sure your kit is probably made by VALEO too! You will need to buy a LUK clutch kit to make it work. Search ebay for 2002 Saturn SC2 LUK clutch kit.

I had to rip out my autozone clutch because it wouldn't go into gear while running. Then, it got stuck in gear. There are thickness variations in the pressure plate and differences in the shaft hole area where the in put shaft goes into.

Read into it here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188034

96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taatman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taatman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
02sc22013

My clutch is a Perfection brand clutch and I have not read anything about people having this issue with them. I have read that they have worked great, though.

However, I am reading post after post after post that are describing the same issue and people are finding different solutions to the problem. Some are replacing the clutch they bought, some are adjusting the MC rod/clutch pedal, and some are finding success with a new hydraulic system.

I am going to read about the wire test so I understand what that is supposed to tell me, see if that gets me anywhere. I will try the pedal first and see if not pressing it in so much does anything. After that it looks like it will be the clutch kit if I am understanding everything correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The wire test measures the stroke of the slave cylinder. If you get 0.45" travel on the wire or more then the hydraulics are working and your problem is the clutch kit. There is no adjustment of the hydraulics system, none - nada. I know it has been hacked and I also know what the long range effect of these hacks results in, thrust bearing failure and crankshaft damage.

The success rate with these supposed lower price kits that are not the exact correct LUK number is about 50%.

Just to add something you may want to consider you can fit the 99 and earlier LUK kit with no problem and it will have a better feel. Part No. LUK 04-115 kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
02sc22013

Here is a picture with the results of my wire test. It is moving almost a whole inch. So unless that is TOO much. I should have a good hydraulic system.

Also, is there anywhere I can find this LUK clutch kit in a store? I need to have my car up and running. It is my only vehicle. And waiting another week to get the new clutch is going to kill me. I have already been without my car for too long with all of these repairs. I would like to be able to go to a parts store and pick it up and have it done today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiretest_result.jpg (110.4 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
02sc22013

One more thing. I have a 2002 SC2. Is this the correct part #? 04-115? That tells me it's for up to 1999.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sc22013 View Post
One more thing. I have a 2002 SC2. Is this the correct part #? 04-115? That tells me it's for up to 1999.
Yes, works for all S-series 1991-2002. the third generation clutches may be a bit softer, depending on how you like your clutch.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
02sc22013

I do have to admit that I am hesitant to buy a clutch that does not say it is for my year of vehicle when ordering online and would probably have a hard time returning it if there was a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 3rd gen cover is different and designed to have a very light pedal effort and a very gentle lockup so people who usually can not drive a manual car could do so. As the flywheel is identical 91-02 and the bell housing is identical 91-02 and the transmission input shaft and sport bearing is identical 91-02 they will swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
02sc22013

Ok. Well, since people seem to have experience with this specific part fixing the issue I went ahead and ordered the LuK clutch kit Part #: 04-115.

Just for future reference for others who are replacing their clutch DO THIS FIRST so you don't have to install and then reinstall. I wish I would have known sooner.

Also, I was able to find this LuK clutch kit from Parts Geek for $105.25 with free shipping. I added shipping insurance for an additional $3.95 and my order total came out to $109.20. It should arrive in about a week.

Thank you guys for all of the help! Even though it is frustrating to have to pull the transmission again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!