SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
lmpeejay
lmpeejay is on a distinguished road

Happy Could my transmission be slipping

Some may have followed the chronicle of my car trouble...but here is the summation. My car sat dormant for about 4 months awaiting a new battery. We have one and the engine purrs like a kitten. But there is on occasional and inconsistent jerking on acceleration. This happens in conjunction with a spike I the RPMS I have notices that this happens more frequently on 3occasions.

Cold start, hills (up and down) and after prolonged driving. It has been suggested that it was my coil and sparks but I think that would affect performance consistently...not just on acceleration.

Could this be caused by low transmission fluid...and should I get an exchange of a flush?

I welcome any and all thoughts.

PJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lmpeejay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lmpeejay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lmpeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: Could my transmission be slipping

year/model/miles?

Is this happening only during gear shifts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
lmpeejay

2001 sl 4door sedan... Yes it happens on or about gear changes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lmpeejay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Two strong possibilities:

-The Saturn transmission acts all kinds of crazy when it's not getting the power it wants. Ensure the new battery is fully charged, there's no corrosion on the posts or cables, and that they're tightened down (not over-tightened) pretty snugly. If you've ever removed chassis grounds make sure they got re-installed.

-A failed line pressure solenoid in the Valve Body. If you get a "clunk" going up hills, this is probably the problem. It's also a common issue on the gen-3s (2000-2002). It's a medium difficulty DIY job to test the solenoids as well as replace them if they turn out to be faulty. You'll need a socket set and a multitester. Also a torque wrench if you decide to replace the solenoids yourself.

Here's how to test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDmBlKn2jI

Here's how to replace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSSj_2eHUY

Don't let a shop tell you you need an entire valve body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
lmpeejay

Thank you....
I have not the skill set to do it myself, but I know an enthusiast who does, since it seemed the shops were guessing, I wanted to consult the experts - the clunk was key, I never thought about that but now that you mention it...it has been there for a while.

That's for the help.

PJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Before tearing into the xmission, try something simple; blocking off the egr valve ports underneath it. Use sheet metal, coins or soda can (aluminum will melt eventually from exhaust heat). This temporary blocking gasket removes the egr valve from interfering with normal engine running during acceleration and cruise. If the egr valve is the cause of this problem the temporary blocking gasket will show an immediate improvement. No improvement means the problem is elsewhere. If its the egr valve then it will need cleaning or replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote