SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
flymanansh
flymanansh is on a distinguished road

Default steering intermediate shaft to steering column bolt

I am going to lube the intermediate shaft. Does anyone know what kind of torque wrench is good for the bolt connecting the intermediate shaft and the steering column? I know 46 lbft is required for the bolt. what does 1/4 or 1/2" drive mean for a torque wrench? which one should I use for this work?

thanks

Jian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flymanansh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flymanansh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flymanansh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: steering intermediate shaft to steering column bolt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_wrench

Buy a 1/2" drive torque wrench at least. I prefer 3/4" but you also need a 3/4" set of sockets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
flymanansh
flymanansh is on a distinguished road

thank you for the reply. one more question.
I tried to remove the bolt for lubing the intermediate shaft. However, the bolt is so tight that I fail to remove it. I even connected the socket to a electric drill for this work. The bolt didn't turn at all. I know the bolt was applied with thread locker, but the thread locker should be medium strength according to the thread locker recommended for the bolt. What can I do? apply heat? I am worried about if the heat will impact the parts around the bolt.

thanks

Jian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flymanansh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flymanansh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flymanansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
rlbock
rlbock is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

The bolt that holds the coupler to the steering mechanism is a 10MM, if you couldn't get it loose you might have been trying to remove the welded nut which won't come off, turn the steering to see the 10mm bolt that you need to remove, once removed slide the coupler down and then extend it up but not on the steering shaft and apply the grease to the extended shaft and then push it down to the retracted position and re-install on shaft. Tighten bolt with your wrench, you can use a torque wrench if you want but it's not that tough to get tight without it.
For this application a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench would be fine, you will need a 1/4 inch drive 10MM socket also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlbock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlbock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
rlbock
rlbock is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I noticed the torque spec of 46ft pounds you listed, that seems to be pretty high for such a small bolt, the spec might break the bolt or strip the bolt or nut. You might want to double check that spec. I would personally use a 10MM boxed end wrench and tighten it with that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlbock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlbock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlbock is offline   Reply With Quote