SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default My top down method

I have read some posts where some may have had trouble with figuring out the easiest way to drop the top on their SKY. The top can be cumbersome sometimes and I learned this method to make putting it down almost effortless and safe for both you and the car. Hope this helps anyone out there. (going off memory so bear with me)

1st, think clockwise. Windows down. From the driver's seat, push the trunk button in the glove box or key fob. Then flip the center roof lever and gently lift the top's edge from the windshield to loosen the pins. Now walk clockwise around the car to the passenger side rear quarter panel and lift the trunk lid. Grab the top from the front part of the frame (by the windshield) and begin to fold it back, guiding the center part of the frame as it goes down. once the top is located entirely over the trunk, firmly but Slowly press the center of the frame down, then the corners until the top is evenly submerged in the trunk. Then with your hand in the center of the trunk lid, push it down firmly closed. If the top is down properly, the trunk should close completely on the 1st try.

When I have demonstrated using this method, it does make putting the top down very easy. Moving clockwise takes you from the driver's seat, safely out of traffic and back to the driver's seat - full circle.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Rick Tinley Par
Rick Tinley Par is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My top down method

Reading yours -- We are nearly identical (going from memory too) but yes clockwise - making one revolution around the car works for me too. Four years and no problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rick Tinley Par's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rick Tinley Par reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rick Tinley Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
I have read some posts where some may have had trouble with figuring out the easiest way to drop the top on their SKY. The top can be cumbersome sometimes and I learned this method to make putting it down almost effortless and safe for both you and the car. Hope this helps anyone out there. (going off memory so bear with me)

1st, think clockwise. Windows down. From the driver's seat, push the trunk button in the glove box or key fob. Then flip the center roof lever and gently lift the top's edge from the windshield to loosen the pins. Now walk clockwise around the car to the passenger side rear quarter panel and lift the trunk lid. Grab the top from the front part of the frame (by the windshield) and begin to fold it back, guiding the center part of the frame as it goes down. once the top is located entirely over the trunk, firmly but Slowly press the center of the frame down, then the corners until the top is evenly submerged in the trunk. Then with your hand in the center of the trunk lid, push it down firmly closed. If the top is down properly, the trunk should close completely on the 1st try.

When I have demonstrated using this method, it does make putting the top down very easy. Moving clockwise takes you from the driver's seat, safely out of traffic and back to the driver's seat - full circle.
this seems like several steps excessive to me.

Don't do it on a busy street - do it in a parking lot or somthing.
1-in car, loosen latch.
2-press trunk release
3-get out
4-open trunk
5-dump roof in trunk
6-close trunk
7-get back in car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_tek001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
BackBlade
BackBlade is on a distinguished road

I'll add, don't try this operation while the car is moving. I've seen some owners who attempt to drop the top while parked momentarily at a stop light, and it's seldom a smooth flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BackBlade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BackBlade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BackBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
boboman
boboman is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Now that would be a funny sight to see at a stop light :P that could quite possibly make my day right there. :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boboman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boboman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

It's also recommended that the windows be lowered before lowering or raising the top. I believe this is also stated in the owner's manual.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBlade View Post
I'll add, don't try this operation while the car is moving.
Technically, it's impossible to do this while the car is moving. The clam will NOT open unless you disable some safety mechanisms. It was designed to prevent this. It's in your manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBlade View Post
I've seen some owners who attempt to drop the top while parked momentarily at a stop light, and it's seldom a smooth flow.
I've done it. Both putting the top up, and then another instance putting the top down, while at a red light. Down is usually easier. Hardest part is not getting out of car. But it IS doable...and smoothly at that if you plan it out.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote