SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
SC1-GTR
Advanced Member
SC1-GTR will become famous soon enough

Question What is up with the Spam?

What is up with the recent troll spammers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC1-GTR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC1-GTR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC1-GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: What is up with the Spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1-GTR View Post
What is up with the recent troll spammers?
maybe the captain has SF on autopilot? oh oh.....

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
SC1-GTR
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
maybe the captain has SF on autopilot? oh oh.....
heh heh yeah seems like it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SC1-GTR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My guess is simply that these new entrepreneurial spammers have figured out that signing on as new members with no background checks as most open forums allows, opens the doors for anyone having the time of day to put up mass spam posts. Read the sign-up regs again and see how easy it is. I tried to bring it up more than once but apparently it hasn't hit home until everyone sees a half page of spam ads. Charlie has kept up as members do their part simply reporting the spammer quietly, directly to Charlie or letting the spam die of natural causes - lack of responses. One "reported" post following the first spam is also sufficient to let everyone else know. Perhaps Charlie may consider more stringent membership regs before allowing new members to post in order to filter out new spam before they post. I'm sure there are ways to do this without taking away the ease of information sharing here on Saturnfans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Idea Re: What is up with the Spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
My guess is simply that these new entrepreneurial spammers have figured out that signing on as new members with no background checks as most open forums allows, opens the doors for anyone having the time of day to put up mass spam posts. Read the sign-up regs again and see how easy it is. I tried to bring it up more than once but apparently it hasn't hit home until everyone sees a half page of spam ads. Charlie has kept up as members do their part simply reporting the spammer quietly, directly to Charlie or letting the spam die of natural causes - lack of responses. One "reported" post following the first spam is also sufficient to let everyone else know. Perhaps Charlie may consider more stringent membership regs before allowing new members to post in order to filter out new spam before they post. I'm sure there are ways to do this without taking away the ease of information sharing here on Saturnfans.
Spammers are definitely a headache for me. There is a delicate balance between keeping the forums accessible and locking down the forum all together. Up until this week, the CAPTCHA image verification and random questions had kept out 99% of the spam. I'm not sure what exactly has been going on for the past week, but all of a sudden SaturnFans has been bombarded with spam. I've been deleting spam posts several times a day. Reporting posts is the best way to let me know when you find spam. Your emails are flagged in my Inbox. I'll be installing a new forum enhancement this evening that should help thwart spammers -- and hopefully lock them out for good. The change should only pose a minimal inconvenience to newly registered legitimate users. Stay tuned for more information -- I'll post something later tonight. In the mean time, keep reporting anything you find and I'll keep deleting/banning them.

Thanks,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I'll be installing a new forum enhancement this evening that should help thwart spammers -- and hopefully lock them out for good.
Good luck with the enhancement procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

I'm sure that us legitimate members would not sweat a little security enhancements if it meant a SPAM-free environment.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Attention Re: What is up with the Spam?

Well, its been about an hour since the change, and there haven't been any new spam posts... (knock on wood)

New members will not be allowed to post links or photos until they have 15 posts.

We'll see how well that works.

Please let me know right away if you see any more spam.

Thanks!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Spam is made by HORMEL and Charlie has stock in HORMEL. He has all the Spam you need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: What is up with the Spam?

Quote:
Well, its been about an hour since the change, and there haven't been any new spam posts... (knock on wood)

New members will not be allowed to post links or photos until they have 15 posts.

Thanks!
Charlie
Hey Very Nice! i Think that will work much better.... Will it still be blocked if it is something like this?? w w w d o t m o r e s p a m d o t c o m or something of the like?

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
SC1-GTR
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Saturn View Post
Hey Very Nice! i Think that will work much better.... Will it still be blocked if it is something like this?? w w w d o t m o r e s p a m d o t c o m or something of the like?
I believe we need Spammers as much as Rich needs poor... meh or maybe not..

but i do know that Tom's so-called anti-spam settings for myspace doesn't seem to work anymore either although those e-mails eventually get deleted, but are the spammers taking time to do the captcha's now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Sad Re: What is up with the Spam?

Quote:
I believe we need Spammers as much as Rich needs poor... meh or maybe not..

but i do know that Tom's so-called anti-spam settings for myspace doesn't seem to work anymore either although those e-mails eventually get deleted, but are the spammers taking time to do the captcha's now?
Spam.. I get so much spam its not even funny, I mean, like 50 of them in my Inbox, And 100+ in the spam , aday! I had my email address for like 7 years, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
SC1-GTR
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Saturn View Post
Spam.. I get so much spam its not even funny, I mean, like 50 of them in my Inbox, And 100+ in the spam , aday! I had my email address for like 7 years, so maybe that has something to do with it...
just like the damn phone, no matte rhow many different lan-line phones we get, we still get spam calls

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Saturn Spam.. I get so much spam its not even funny, I mean, like 50 of them in my Inbox, And 100+ in the spam , aday! I had my email address for like 7 years, so maybe that has something to do with it...
If I may suggest two things:

Opt-out on your phone number for unsolicited calls at FTC.gov. The Opt-out lasts 5 yrs. Don't have your phone number printed on personal checks.

Get an email client that has SPAM and blacklist/whitelist filtering. Thunderbird has a good one. I used to use a little filtering program called MailWasher, but I learned to use the filtering in Outlook and Outlook Express so that only the senders I want get through, everyone else gets immediately deleted.

Lastly, NEVER REPLY to SPAM, especially the ones that have that "opt-out" link on them, that is a trick to let the SPAM-bots know you are live by responding then you really will get SPAMmed.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
are the spammers taking time to do the captcha's now?
Yeah, unfortunately. The current setup should eliminate 99% of the spam. If a message has a link or a photo, and a member has less than 15 posts, that message will be rejected by the system.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #16
GurlBHere
GurlBHere is on a distinguished road

Yeah it's nice to keep the spam out of forums. I'm a member of two differnt car forums and it gets real old. I just joined and this place seems to be pretty clean and I like it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GurlBHere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GurlBHere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GurlBHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
Craftsman673
Craftsman673 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:

Thanks!
Charlie
So thats why my photos won't upload.... I was wondering why. I can live with that. Sounds like a good idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craftsman673's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craftsman673 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Craftsman673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
mikelife85
mikelife85 has a spectacular aura aboutmikelife85 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

When I used to spam..... CAPTCHAS don't do squat... here's why:

You can program the vBulletin spamming software to send the Captchas to people in India who will decipher them and send the "text" back to the spamming software to enter into sites like this, thus bypassing it.

People in india are willing to do this stuff by the thousands for lets say, 5000 captchas per $1.00.....

That's a pretty good return on your investment!!

i did this 6 years ago to bypass captchas on myspace, facebook, faceparty and made about $4-$6k/week.

I didnt spend any time infront of the computer, the software I made was automated and let indians directly communicate with it when it needed captchas solved.

I stopped doing it along time ago because laws and what not got much tighter and I didn't want to goto jail

-Mike

1998 Saturn SL2 w/ 270k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikelife85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikelife85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikelife85 is offline   Reply With Quote