SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #61
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I don't get it, why so few Skys on the road?

"Unwrapped" the SKY this past weekend. I have been driving it this past week- still as fun as ever!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #62
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
...Diss all you want, the Sky is a POS.
And this coming from a guy who owns an ION...what a 'tard...spend some time in one, preferably a manual trans, and I'm sure you'll change your opinion, at least compared to driving an ION... oh wait, you were being facetious, right?!

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #63
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzestarvue View Post
And this coming from a guy who owns an ION...what a 'tard...spend some time in one, preferably a manual trans, and I'm sure you'll change your opinion, at least compared to driving an ION... oh wait, you were being facetious, right?!
Never said the ION wasn't a POS.
I won't change my opinion about the Sky
You still have to get out to raise/lower the top
It still doesn't have enough trunk space (especially with the top down)

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #64
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Quote:
Ahhhh, you're one of those type of Sky bashers...well, I wipe my own ***** after taking a crap, so I don't mind getting out to raise/lower the top...as for trunk space, I agree, but there's enough space for a weekend getaway...it's not meant to be a daily driver anyway, so I enjoy it immensely for what it is...and with all the positive comments that have been said to me about my Sky, whatever buyer's remorse I might have had, has long since vanished...

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #65
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Dizzy Re: I don't get it, why so few Skys on the road?

This is the thread that never ends,
it just goes on and on my friends
Some people started posting it, not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue posting it forever just because...

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #66
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have only seen about 4 Sky's in the last 6 months but about 15 Solstices. There might be one of the answers to why so few Sky's are seen on the road, it might be because the Solstice is stealing sales from the Sky.

Granted both cars look great and are priced around the same amount but the Pontiac has pedigree in its favor. To most people, the name Pontiac evokes a vision of sportiness and performance as the division has been active on the performance front since the late 1950's

By contrast, to a lot of folks, Saturn still means plastic reliable entry level car, due to the many years that the S series were sold.

If I was in the market for a 2 seater GM sports car, I would choose the Solstice over the Sky due to the fact the Solstice builds on the rich performance heritage of Pontiac and I like the rounded front end of the car.

Ether way you can not go wrong with it or the Pontiac version because the car is a joy to drive

Cheers

L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #67
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
I'm sorry but that just screams of laziness. It's such a simple operation. I bet you I can get out and lower OR raise the top and get back in and buckle my seatbelt faster than ANY automatic top just just go up or down. There was a post by someone a while back that said they saw some guy putting his auto top down during a red light, so he got the idea to do the same. I remember that he said something about he was done before the other guy's car was. It's literally just a push of a button, pull of a lever, get out, lift up trunk lid and guide it in. If that's too hard then something's wrong.

Quote:
Who in there right mind is going to buy a sports car for the trunk space? Really now...who? That's not the purpose of this type of car. If you want lots of storage space, get a station wagon. I have just enough space for everything I need in my sky's trunk. Only on rare occasion do I pick up a box that is too large to fit into the trunk (and even then only due to the gas tank being in way). But when that does happen, there is enough room in the cabin for whatever I need, even with two passengers seated comfortably. Although, I do agree that having the top down severely limits space. I still wish they would have offered a hard top (either solid, t-top, or removable) as one of the options.

Last edited by ToledoEngineer; 03-26-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: a few words missing that i had accidentally edited out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #68
ToledoEngineer

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof View Post
"Unwrapped" the SKY this past weekend. I have been driving it this past week- still as fun as ever!
We had a couple nice days here in OH back in early march where I decided to get it out for the weekend. Hadn't started or driven it in about a month so I figured it was a nice opportunity to do so. Let's just say that I loved driving it so much more than the s-series that i havent gotten around to putting it back yet. That was about 3 weeks ago. It's probably gonna be out for good now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #69
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoEngineer View Post
I'm sorry but that just screams of laziness. It's such a simple operation.
Who in there right mind is going to buy a sports car for the trunk space?
Please, Miata- reach back and close, reach up and open and the trunk space is the same top up or down. The Sky competes against one of the best cars in history, that has been on the market for 19 years and the Sky fails at simple tasks like this.
Haven't you heard of weekend jaunts?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #70
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Happy Re: I don't get it, why so few Skys on the road?

Quote:
Please, Miata- reach back and close, reach up and open and the trunk space is the same top up or down. The Sky competes against one of the best cars in history, that has been on the market for 19 years and the Sky fails at simple tasks like this.
So, that explains why SKY owners have the most muscular upper bodies and the competition is all fat and flabby? LMAO

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #71
ToledoEngineer

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Miata may have better functionality in this case. I don't know. I'm only going on your wording. Never sat in one or even looked at one up close. I don't like them. At all. I think it's ugly.

One of the best cars in history? Seriously? I'd consider that a matter of opinion until I was presented with comprehensive statistics to justify it. And even then interpretation is key. And plus, like you've just pointed out, the miata has had 19yrs to develope. Meanwhile the sky has been out for what, 3yrs now. I would hope someone at mazda would have learned something in those 19yrs and that is the why there might be better functionality.

I see no problem with weekend jaunts in the sky. I can fit everything i might need for the weekend in my trunk. I'm not going on an expedition after all so I dont need more than two pairs of clothes at most. So a small bag for each would work out. It's not like I'm taking it camping and need to drag a cooler along. And even then a small tent and two bags would fit nicely in the trunk. Top up or top down. And for two people you dont need a heck of a lot of food, so a small cooler for essentials would be practical and would most likely fit under or in front of the passenger's feet. And you can pick up anything else you might need once you get to your destination.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #72
SilverFox
SilverFox is on a distinguished road

I think part of the reason is Pontiac has better marketing than Saturn. So, being very simular cars, this is why you see more Solstices on the road than Skys. I'm sure even less will be purchased now that GM is selling the Saturn company...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #73
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

This is an interesting thread in several respects.

I just purchased a new Sky Red Line 10 days ago (http://imsaturn.com/profile/GP37)

Some people might ask "why?" "Because I've always wanted a nice little convertible." It's the kind of car I can see myself enjoying and keeping forever.

A convertible is a special type of car. It's not your everyday kind of car. It's different because one can remove the roof and it's focus, IMO, aside from being intended as "transportation", is for the driver to enjoy a different type of driving experience.

Although I just purchased a Saturn XR 9 months ago, I'm in a position of being able to afford a second vehicle of this kind in it's current price range. I'm neither rich nor wealthy nor throw every penny out but I've sacrificed and compromised in earlier years, which turned out to be wise decisions and saved a buck or two along the way to help with a down payment which helped to make it affordable.

As far as cost is concerned, I strongly preferred a 2008 Red Line because of the price increase of the 09 MY (model year). A comparably equipped 09 Red Line was approx. 3 to 4K more. I would've still been able to afford the Sky RL, but that would've put me in an uncomfortable price range. Plus, there were much better incentives. Mind you, I have to save just like most other people try to do and until purchasing my Saturn Aura last year, I hadn't purchased a new car in 16 years! (I drove a little Honda Civic hatchback which ran like a top and was 100% dealer maintained).

When I seriously started looking at potentially adding another car, I either didn't find the other convertibles I might be interested in attractive (Audi TT, Miata MX-5, Pontiac Solstice, Toyota Solara) or affordable to me (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, not to mention Porsche, et al).

I will add that I grew up overseas in the 60's & 70's as an Army "brat" and am a big Opel fan. This helped sway me toward the Sky as it did with the Aura. So, yes, there is a bit of sentimental stuff going on but not enough to have clouded my judgment.

I'm in my late 40's now and single. I'm probably too immature to ever reach a "mid-life crisis" and I can probably imagine the reason why we don't see that many young people driving machines such as this. Purchase cost, car payments, insurance, cost of fuel and practicality. I think it also takes a level of maturity (not necessarily "age") and experience to resist the impulse to drive beyond one's limits.

I did my research and new what I was buying. I knew space would be at a premium (trunk space w. top down is a mere 2.5 cu.ft) but it's manageable if one packs it correctly for the daytrip or weekend jaunt (an extra 12" of trunk length would've been awesome!).

True, it's a head-turner. It's curb appeal has been reported as high and it's almost embarrassing to me as I'm a low-key-under-the-radar-type-of-person. Perhaps because there aren't a lot of these on the road that people look when you're driving by. I've only seen one Sky and one Solstice on the road over the last 2 to 3 years. Had the Solsitice had a bit more of that 60's "bug eye" look, it could've been a contender for me.

However, the Sky / Solstice is what it is and some will find either attractive or unattractive for various reasons. However, it does what it is intended to do, well. The turbo versions probably can do 150 mph without mods and that's more than fast enough for road driving. I only intend on driving my Sky from mid Spring through mid Fall and only on weekends and holidays. It's supposed to be a special car and will have it dealer maintained. That's just my story. Until you've actually driven a (powerful) convertible a few times (I did three separate test drives), one may not understand what it is about.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 06-02-2009 at 11:54 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #74
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I should add, that it is a luxury to own a second vehicle, as many here may well know. In particular this type of vehicle. Many people cannot afford a second car and for most people, I'm guessing, making a decision about only buying one car is tough enough. Even I'm venturing into brand new territory by having two new vehicles sitting side by side.

Until I purchased my Aura 9 months ago, I had always been a one car driver. I traded my Civic HB for the Sky RL as the Sky may not even be built anymore for MY 2010 and will probably see a price increase if they are. It was either now or never.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #75
m8taylo
m8taylo is on a distinguished road

I do love the Sky. Very disappointed to see the last one made. I was holding out until my Greenline was paid for and I replaced the battery. Cant afford to many (more) cars. I have a '60 Triumph TR3a. The Sky is one of the few cars that can compete for weekends with the top down against the old Triumph - and it wouldn't need the toolbox in the trunk. Maybe I can pick one up on the used market in a few years...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m8taylo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m8taylo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m8taylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #76
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

For the record, there were almost twice as many Pontiacs built than Saturns. During the few years of limited production the total came in at less than 35,000 Skys and a bit over 65,000 Solstices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #77
demoncamber
demoncamber is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm326 View Post
Saturn is only manufacturing around 10,000 Skys per model year. As Sival pointed out it's a niche vehicle or what we call in this industry a halo. It was manufactured to draw attention to the Saturn brand.
Well not exactly, you also have the pontiac solstice (same car) and the Opel GT (same car)

So it was kinda just re-badged and borrowed.

///M5sc2-126k-5spd-Eagle GT's
-2x Alpine TypeS 12in 1223D -Kenwood KAC8104D -Audiobahn A4401T
-Alpine SPS-600c - Infinity Kappa 62.9I - 1.5f Cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demoncamber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demoncamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #78
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
Well not exactly, you also have the pontiac solstice (same car) and the Opel GT (same car)

So it was kinda just re-badged and borrowed.

The European export Opel GT and the Asian Daewoo G2X
were indeed rebadged Saturn Skys.

The Solstice however is not a rebadged twin
but is the same under the skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KappaStructure.jpg (25.8 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #79
Saturndude82
Saturndude82 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Of all the things I liked about the SATURN S-CARs it's tuning radius was always a sore spot with me ... sure I adjusted for it, almost got used to it, but never liked it. The ION does much better and is a better car in many ways, just as the ASTRA does some things better then the ION. After having the ION's I could not see me in a S-CAR again.

Name one thing the Ion's do better then the Astra? This will be fun...

"After having the ION's I could not see me in a S-CAR again". I guess you had a bad experience with your S-series, I have only had one and love getting much better mileage then ION's, also I drove an ION for about three weeks and remember the handling felt much worse then my S-Series, the ION really felt really heavy and not response to where I wanted to go. But that's just my opinion. Do ION's have better power-plants, yes without a doubt much stronger than the 1.9 but more reliable? As long as its not an oil burner I will take an S-Series hands down.

2002 Sl1 5 Speed Spring Special
Eibach Pro Kit ST-Struts
XXR-001 17in Rims Falken 205/45/17 Tires
Tint and Clear Corners
Thermal R&D Cat-Back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturndude82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturndude82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturndude82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #80
ToledoEngineer

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2SkyVue View Post
The European export Opel GT and the Asian Daewoo G2X
were indeed rebadged Saturn Skys.

The Solstice however is not a rebadged twin
but is the same under the skin.
I can't remember for sure anymore, but I was always under the impression that this generation of the Opel GT was produced before the Saturn Sky. Which would have made the Sky a rebadge. At least that is how I learned about them anyways, right before going to the 2005 NAIAS. (Which btw, that show should be starting next week.)

And the Solstice is all but a rebadged twin. The only thing different is the shape of the body. Interior and engine are practically identical. I've traveled over the the solstice forums a few times when i have questions that havent been answered here and it's amazing how little was actually changed between the two brands.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!