SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
SATURNOFPLANO
SATURNOFPLANO is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Build the SKY!!!

Forget about finding out how well the Solstice will sell. Build the SKY for us. We, the Retailer, need the car. We've had lots of response ever since it first appeared. Everyone needs to go to Saturn.com and email the message-Build the SKY. Do it for me, please.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNOFPLANO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNOFPLANO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
crispy5
crispy5 is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn reaches for the Sky; sporty vehicle would project youthful image

Check out this article on AutoWeek.com - http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=01643055

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crispy5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crispy5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Now that's Interesting. I know two people that would purchase one if they built it... My mom and I. My Mom has been waiting for a convertiable from Saturn since her 1991 SL2!

I think they are super pretty, and I would definately get one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Right on

Other options could be to simply rebadge the opel speedster, screw plastic panels, just rip off that ol' opel badge and slap on a red ringed planet. Call it good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

the sky would be excellent if they build it front engine REAR wheel drive, like the mx-5 miata. we don't need another late mercury crapi and honda del sol that fail because they look better than they drive. the front drive lotus elise didn't last too long did it? also they should lose the r-a d and make it a two door so i can bolt in a rollbar on mine. keep it simple and cheap.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2002, 09:52 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2

D'oh! I meant front drive Lotus Elan. not Elise

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
L300Boy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eRic 96sc2
the sky would be excellent if they build it front engine REAR wheel drive, like the mx-5 miata. we don't need another late mercury crapi and honda del sol that fail because they look better than they drive.
heheh...I hope GM management decides 1) yes, lets build both the solstice and the SKY 2) lets use the RWD platform for both instead of the delta.

But delta or not, id be happy.

Last edited by L300Boy; 10-29-2002 at 06:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:04 PM   #8
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
heheh...I hope GM management decides 1) yes, lets build both the solstice and the SKY 2) lets use the RWD platform for both instead of the delta.

But delta or not, id be happy.
L300Boy, that would be a smart idea because then Pontiac and Saturn can share the cost and reduce MSRP for both models, perhaps even undercutting the Crapri, Dull Sol and MX5 Miata. If one division, be it Pontiac or Saturn, keeps the platform all to itself and builds in low quantity, the cost would be greater and drive up the price accordingly.

I, too, would prefer RWD, but the Delta will prove itself to be a rigid vehicle architecture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:33 PM   #9
DarkAngel
DarkAngel is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I agree that it needs to be Rear Wheel Drive! I think if they do that they should bulk up the horse power a wee bit too. Make it a fun car. Perhaps a midlife crisis car! LOL. But really if I had the cash I would own one. When I bought my 2000 Saturn if they had the sky out I would have tryed to talk my grandma into it. She would never had gone for it since that was one rule in what she wouldn't buy me but hey it would have been worth the try for a convertable!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarkAngel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarkAngel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:59 PM   #10
L300Boy
Master Member

"over" 200hp (and probably as much torque) out of the factory boosted RWD would be plenty of power...

and then we can chip it aftermarket to set the boost to whatever we want.

Some insurance companies go by displacement, rather than actual hp/torque numbers. For a short time, the S2000 was cheaper than my L300 -- well -- until claims started rolling in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2002, 11:26 AM   #11
eRic 02sc2

oh yeah insurance will cost you for a roadster. displacement doesn't mean much today when you have naturally aspirated 100+hp/L four bangers that are 1.8-2.0L. too bad we don't get any of those goodies. a 190hp sc2 n/a would be nice.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2002, 02:07 PM   #12
LI 350
Advanced Member
LI 350 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

rwd...

saturn, if your going to do it, do it right; a limited slip or torsen type rear differential is a MUST (or a must if only as a option).

I will buy one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LI 350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LI 350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2002, 10:41 PM   #13
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
build it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2002, 10:49 PM   #14
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

I'll buy it if they build it! Unless pontiac beats them to it with a convertible grand am.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:08 PM   #15
Garland
Garland is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of saturn having a halo, low production number vehicle that they can offer as a unique flagship product. However, it's going to be stiff competition for the under 25k market since there's alot of things that cost that price and thus are cheaper.

I like the idea of RWD, but if they go with w/ a delta platform to cheapin it up, that's fine too.

What I'm actually hoping someone reads is the following:

MAKE TWO MODELS.

Allow me to explain. Saturn corp NEEDS a flagship product. Something to say "we're saturn and we mean business".

Chevy has the corvette.
Ford has the mustang and every SVT car
Mercury has the marauder
Pontiac has the GTO now
Honda has the type-r series
Porsche has the 911.
Most importantly, acura has the NSX.

I can go on.

Now the point is, of almost all of these models there are TWO types. The cheaper version that is mostly show, and not really go, and the REAL model, the one that has the forged pistons and rods, and upped boost, limited slilp diff and dedicated 6 speed.

You get my drift?

Say make 20,000 total sky's. Then make a "sky efx" .. only .. not just a ground effects kit. A sky type r if you will. Hand worked and forged internals, say 5k of these total a year. Up the boost to 10-12 psi, put in a torsen diff, stiffen up the chassis a bit and slap an extra 5k on the price tag.

If saturn can make a car that sprints from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds or less, I'd be impressed.

So impressed even, that I'd buy it. I'd even like to see a sportier exterior on it. Something like momo seats, brembo brakes and a hood scoop.

I'd pay 22-25 for something like that from saturn :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garland's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2002, 08:11 PM   #16
L300Boy
Master Member

With the SKY's weight of 2300lbs, manual transmission, and the increase of power to ~220hp.....we're going to have problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2002, 02:45 PM   #17
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

An RWD roadster that could compete in the S2000 playing field would be nice. OEM boost would be the way if you wanted to keep the displacement realistic. Sign me up!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #18
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default SKY pics

It looks very nice in person - very nice. Lots of folks coming up wanting to get one too.

Front looks pretty sharp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:40 PM   #19
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Thumbs Up RAD on SKY

Pretty neat feature for a drop top

Like the steering wheel cover - must be a dealer option.

A nice quality brochure they were hawking at the show about the SKY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2002, 05:47 PM   #20
L300Boy
Master Member

Yea, id like one. Black interior please.

Looks like Saturn corp ditched the LCD switch gear (instead of physical markings and a rotating/push switch, a small 16x16 pixel monochrome LCD matrix on the switch displayed the current mode)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread