SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
braynor21
braynor21 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2003 Ion Headlamps suck

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster and the forum wouldn't let me to respond to a post from October so I'm just bringing the topic back up. Thanks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsborough View Post
I would say 'fine' is great for those who neither need or desire to see farther than 100 feet ahead of an ION.

The haze that coated the inside of both headlights (replaced at dealer expense) diminished that distance even farther. I have been reassured that their luminance was adequate by Saturn.

I do beg to differ especially during 'Interstate' driving at night. Aftermarket replacement bulbs from Sylvania have done little to improve this performance.

I am not 'dissatisfied', just not as satisfied as I want to be especially after driving my wife's Ford. and my Father's Vue. Its headlight luminance
is measurably more than my ION. Just an observation.

I totally agree. I have an 03 Ion 3 Quad, and I just realized within the past few months that the low-lights on my wife's Honda Civic are almost brighter and better illuminating than the brights on my Ion. I almost can see no discernable difference between my lows and highs.

I've already tried to replace the lights thinking that these are the originals, but I can't get them out of the damn light dock. Those blue tabs are impossible to move and I'm sure if I forced it, I'd break them. Any tips??? And yes I already looked at the manual... once the housing is off, it just says remove the light......easier said than done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to braynor21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help braynor21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
braynor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

just to be sure, you do take them off the car 100% first, right? I had a rental slowbalt (brand new) and I couldn't see anything, I pulled off the road, aimed them appropriately (against a sand berm) and went on my merry way seeing just as much as my ion. people need to learn how to aim the headlights, that's the problem if your bulbs are good and your lenses are clear.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

The headlamps on the four ION's in this house are fine ..... and aimed properly. Seems to me every light on every car sold in the US must meet max and min DOT regulations ... might be a good idea to aim your lamps, but if your not smart enough to figure out how to replace the bulbs I'd guess aiming is out of the question.

everything is easier said then done .... crap for example.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

2004 Saturn Ion 2 full 4 door sedan.

I drove this Ion halfway across country and I did not notice anything different from any other of the many used cars I have owned. But after reading this, I will observe the lights more closely.

But back to the headlight bulbs. Is replacing a bulb a job for Mr. Goodwrench? Are instructions for replacing the headlight bulbs stated anywhere here?

Anyone have a headlight bulb burn out yet on an ION?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you pull out the two L shaped pieces of metal, remove the bolts on the top of the bumper cover, pull the housing out, disconnect the connectors, unscrew the retainer rings, replace the bulbs, not exactly rocket science

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Not exactly any type of science

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
you pull out the two L shaped pieces of metal, remove the bolts on the top of the bumper cover, pull the housing out, disconnect the connectors, unscrew the retainer rings, replace the bulbs, not exactly rocket science
Just pull the "L" pins and remove the lamp. Unhook the connector from the bulb and turn the ring (3 in' dia) ring around the bulb (i think it is blue) clockwise and it will allow the bulb to be removed by pulling the bulb straigt back. When replacing the bulb, be sure it is aligned correctly (there are ribs on the bulb and slots on the reflector to make sure the bulb is in the right orintation). then turn the ring to lock the bulb in place. Then put the lamp back and push the "L" pins back in. Easy as pie

HeyMO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if your hands are small, but you also risk scratching or getting water or dirt on the new bulb and shortening the life.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!