SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default New Engine Break In Procedure?

Astra fans - I am in the midst of wrangling two different vehicles to test drive at a local dealership in an effort to decide which car I want to buy more. One car has to be brought in from another dealership 300 miles away. I assume that car has low miles on it and all these miles will go directly on the odometer. Soooo, here is my fear...this person driving this car on the highway for 300 miles at sustained speeds and engine RPMs is probably NOT following the "recommended" engine break in procedure. Can someone with an Astra owner's manual quote me the citation that describes the proper engine break in procedure?

And question 2 for those dealer folk out there...is there a way a potential customer can request a vehicle be trucked from point A to point B rather than being driven? I am concerned about putting 300+ miles on the odometer without a proper break in procedure? I would think that dealers can arrange trades like this (over long distances) would have plans/arrangements to ship vehicles rather than DRIVE them. Am I wrong? Am I within my right to request the dealer NOT drive this vehicle? I need to know ASAP because they are looking at getting the vehicle on Monday.

Thanks again and keep the rubber side down!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
ftruscot
ftruscot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: New Engine Break In Procedure?

from page 8-2

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:

* Do not drive at any one speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles. Do not make full throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.

* Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow these breaking-in guidelines every time you get new brake linings.

Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

2008 Astra 5dr XR, black, 5-sp, adv. audio, prem. trim, sports handling, sunroof

Previous Saturn: 1997 SW2, blue, manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ftruscot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ftruscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ftruscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Sky Man View Post
Astra fans - I am in the midst of wrangling two different vehicles to test drive at a local dealership in an effort to decide which car I want to buy more. One car has to be brought in from another dealership 300 miles away. I assume that car has low miles on it and all these miles will go directly on the odometer. Soooo, here is my fear...this person driving this car on the highway for 300 miles at sustained speeds and engine RPMs is probably NOT following the "recommended" engine break in procedure. Can someone with an Astra owner's manual quote me the citation that describes the proper engine break in procedure?

And question 2 for those dealer folk out there...is there a way a potential customer can request a vehicle be trucked from point A to point B rather than being driven? I am concerned about putting 300+ miles on the odometer without a proper break in procedure? I would think that dealers can arrange trades like this (over long distances) would have plans/arrangements to ship vehicles rather than DRIVE them. Am I wrong? Am I within my right to request the dealer NOT drive this vehicle? I need to know ASAP because they are looking at getting the vehicle on Monday.

I wouldn't sweat it... todays new engines really do not require any special treatment. From section 8-2 of the Astra manual:

"New Vehicle Brake-In

Notice: Your vehhicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the the long run if you follow these guidelines:

* Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles. Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle."

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
GM Sky Man

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the quick feedback all. I guess I tend to get a little over protective of my car even BEFORE it arrives at the dealership. Now if I could just get them to drive the car across the two states with the ENTIRE shipping protection film on it, that would be lovely!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
seankiely
seankiely is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 RELAY-2

Quote:

We just got ours and made it very clear to the dealer next to zero Miles/KMS on it. They honored our request with no fuss.

I would imagine if its 300 miles away they would charge you a fee to ship it. Anotherwords testdrive local or that car if you want - but be clear on your purchased car - zip for mileage.

FWIW we had ours trucked from Edmonton AB to Winnipeg MB - about 1000KM or 600 Miles - it cost us $500.00 - but that was MUCH better then flying to pick it up or having someone drive it and rack up the KMS.

Sean

2008 - Saturn Astra XR
2007 - Saturn Relay
R.I.P - 2005 - Saturn Relay (It died a brutal death)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seankiely's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seankiely reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seankiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
GM Sky Man

2008 Astra XR

seankiely - thanks for the update. I am not sure I'd like to pay to have it trucked. I think I would be OK with it if I knew that it was beign driven with all the protective wrapping on it (inside and out). In addition to getting the car, I am looking at buy some accessories and getting a complete set of 16" steel wheels with TPM sensors for my winter tires that I have for the car. Soif I dont have to spend $500+ dollars on trucking that would be a good thing. This is never an easy process is it? I will tell you that I am adamant that the car does not have any permanent dealership badging on it. I do not mind a license plate frame, but you stick a label on "my" car, you are going to remove it, period. I can feel the excitment and tension building.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Soulblighter
Soulblighter will become famous soon enough

mine was 200 miles away, and i got somebody from the dealership to drive and bring it in. saved a bunch of money that way. i made sure to tell them to follow the break in procedure in the owners manual, and they assured me that they did so.
I can understand getting winter tires...but does changing the wheels change the way Stabilitrack works? is it tuned specifically to a vehicle config with a certain center of gravity assumption? if not i guess i will follow your lead and get the 16 inch steel wheels also .Mine has 17 inch alloy wheels on rite now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Soulblighter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Soulblighter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Soulblighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
OneHeadlight
OneHeadlight is on a distinguished road

Cool Re: New Engine Break In Procedure?

I have seen LOTS of Astras at the dealerships in michigan. You're telling me that no dealer in michigan has the car you want?

Why can't you arrange drive it back from the dealer who has it? It's not like the Astras are selling that quickly right now, they'd be happy to accomodate you just to make a sale in today's economy! But to just "hope for the best" is a joke, it's YOUR money, why waste it on someone who really doesn't care? I would never allow 300 miles to be put on a new car before I got it, ever!

When I mention to dealers I'll go get it myself, your driver can come with me but I'm driving otherwise no sale. They caved and said no problem on other cars that I've wanted to buy. so check that out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OneHeadlight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OneHeadlight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OneHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:

Request the car be transported on a flat bed. Be firm. My sisters SC was flat bed delivered with no additional miles.

My SC was driven 400 miles when I bought it. It's still on the road with over 200k. It used oil from day one, but I credit that characteristic to the 1.9L engine.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I haven't worried about this since I did the initial break-in on my Mazda. Simply put, just avoid hard acceleration if you can in the first 500 miles. Varying RPM and speed helps, but highway runs wont hurt it.

Most oil analysis on modern engines don't show a stabilization of wear metals til beyond 10,000 miles, so its still sort of breaking in until then, and really the major break-in occurs in the first 20 to 100 miles.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
GM Sky Man

2008 Astra XR

All - thanks for your comments on this concern of mine. I am figuring that if I allow the dealer to save a few pennies and drive the car back to MI, I can forcus my attention to obtaining the best deal possible. What I have not dropped on the dealership yet is my trade in and what it IS valued at. If they cannot meet my requirement for the trade (by the way, still the price I want allows the dealer to make over 2K profit on my car) then I will walk away. I did manage to secure the dealership salesman in OH to have the car shirnkwrapped again like it had just arrived off the loading truck. This should protect the car from accidental stone damage during the commute.

OneHeadlight - That is what I am saying there is NO dealshipin SE MI or within 300 miles on SE MI that has the Astra I want with the options I want. Check it out. 2008 XR5 with a MANUAL trans, moonroof, heated front seats, and advanced audio. No leather, no stabilitrak, no performance suspension. I'd also like the car in a light color (white, silver, or sandstone). Try to find it and let me know.

Soul - That is why I want a car WITHOUT the 17" tire and wheel package. I want to be able to swap the 16" All seasion tires and AL wheels for my set of steelies and snow tires in the winter. I know the ABS, Speedo, and traction control will all be cal'ed correctly if I go from 16" to 16".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
Soulblighter
Soulblighter will become famous soon enough

Why arent you going for stabilitrack? wont hurt since you can always turn it off if you dont want to use it. I think you can get the vehicle with stabilitrack as an added option, without the sport suspension... i guess i need to get 17 inch steel wheels for winter then. thanks for the idea!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Soulblighter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Soulblighter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Soulblighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
GM Sky Man

2008 Astra XR

Soul - I am not opting for Stabilitrak because I generally do not need electronic "nannies" to interupt my driving. I have never run into a situation that could not be overcome be either proper driving skills, good tires, and proper planning. Remember, long before Stabiltrak, ABS, traction control, corner braking control and other electronic features, people learned to drive in the mud, snow, slush, rain, and ice without these features. I am such a driver. I am confident in my driving abilities as well as the big dollars I shelled out for Hakkapeliitta snow tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

u need to run at various speeds & rpms. what u are doing is seating the rings & the valves.
in 1970, i ordered a new chevelle malibu 2dr ht with a 350v8 - 300 hp. i asked the service manager about breaking in the engine. he stated to drive from day one the way i normally would. i actually raced a guy the first night. my top speed was 80 mph. a month later, top speed 130 mph. that engine never caused me any problems, used no oil but i did change oil & filter every 2000 miles.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote