SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Default Latest Saturn Aura reliability results

Thanks to the help of this forum, TrueDelta received 111 responses covering 755 months of ownership for the 2007 Saturn Aura, one of the largest sample sizes.

The stat of 87 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.9 per vehicle) is worse than average for a 2007 model, and similar to what has been reported for earlier time periods.

It is possible that reliability has improved with the 2008 model, but not enough responses were received for that year. (We have reported results for other 2008s, including the Outlook and the Vue.) More owners of the 2008 Aura are very much needed!

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

If you haven't already, you can join by following a link on the results page.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Latest Saturn Aura reliability results

How about some detail on that number.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
mkaresh
Advanced Member

What sort of detail are you looking for?

In terms of the repairs, they're nearly all minor things, various accessories not working, trim issues, and such. But this is the case for just about any car these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

How many people respond with out any issues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBone View Post
How many people respond with out any issues?
None. Registered (with True Delta) owners are queeried every month to respond ONLY if a trip to the shop was made. Inquiries about current miles on registered vehicles is made quarterly I believe. The number of registered owners that DO NOT respond actually HELPS to reduce the "average" of owners reporting problems. (Improving the average reliability rating) Both my VUE and Sonata are registered with True Delta...neither has had any reported problems.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
What sort of detail are you looking for?

In terms of the repairs, they're nearly all minor things, various accessories not working, trim issues, and such. But this is the case for just about any car these days.
That's exactly my experience. Two minor things (bad reception on radio, dash/door trim alignment) but that are becoming long-term irritants as the dealer couldn't fix them, even with a TSB ! Made a dog's breakfast of the dash realignment and I have to go back to get it re-crooked

BTW, the service guys at Saturn are really nice and they look like they are trying. My previous dealer (Ford), lived in a constant state of denial and everything turned into a fight. This is much better.

The car is still great but 32K (Ah, Canada !) shouldn't get you a crackling radio and a crooked dash (by half an inch on one side !). This just makes you wonder what else is going to go wrong and saps your confidence in the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
That's exactly my experience. Two minor things (bad reception on radio, dash/door trim alignment) but that are becoming long-term irritants as the dealer couldn't fix them, even with a TSB ! Made a dog's breakfast of the dash realignment and I have to go back to get it re-crooked

BTW, the service guys at Saturn are really nice and they look like they are trying. My previous dealer (Ford), lived in a constant state of denial and everything turned into a fight. This is much better.

The car is still great but 32K (Ah, Canada !) shouldn't get you a crackling radio and a crooked dash (by half an inch on one side !). This just makes you wonder what else is going to go wrong and saps your confidence in the brand.
I wonder if the 2 things are related. The dash hitting something with the radio, putting the dash crooked and causing the radio to crackle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffmaloney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffmaloney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
None. Registered (with True Delta) owners are queeried every month to respond ONLY if a trip to the shop was made. Inquiries about current miles on registered vehicles is made quarterly I believe. The number of registered owners that DO NOT respond actually HELPS to reduce the "average" of owners reporting problems. (Improving the average reliability rating) Both my VUE and Sonata are registered with True Delta...neither has had any reported problems.
I'm afraid that this is entirely incorrect. A response is required even without a repair the first month then at the end of every quarter after that. If there's no repair, the response is only an approximate odometer reading. If this isn't received, the car is excluded from the analysis.

In other words, it sounds like your two vehicles have been excluded from the analysis. I can easily get you fully caught up--will send a PM.

To answer the original question:
111 owners responding, average of 6.8 months each
72 (65%) reported no repairs
25 with one repair trip
12 with two repair trips
2 with three repair trips
0 with 3+ repair trips

This is a very typical curve for a car with average or slighly worse than average reliability. Over the course of a half year, 2/3 will have no repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
WhenenRome
WhenenRome is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I didn't and very likely won't participate in your website's research. Your goal with the site, to me, is muddled by the fact that you link your own personal review of most every car alongside that research. There is this finality and self-indulgence in the writing-style to every review I've read from you, that seems to just eclipse or ignore anyone else's possible perception of a car.

In other words, Aura owners could score their car perfectly in research. But once anyone would read your attached review, that consumer would still end up thinking the Aura was a disappointing, hot mess. And personally, when you add the fact that in your reviews, you've effectively crapped on almost every car I've ever remotely liked - well, it doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy about participating. Sorry, I mean no disrespect. That's just been my honest feeling since I first explored that site a couple of years ago.

Now: 07 Saturn Aura XR 3.6 Black / 04 Olds Bravada Final 500 Dark Cherry (both paid for!)
Then: 02 Olds Alero GLS / 01 Olds Aurora 3.5 / 95 Ford T-Bird LX-V8
In Fam: 05 Buick LaCrosse CXS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhenenRome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhenenRome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhenenRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
mkaresh
Advanced Member

The reviews aren't even on the site itself. And my review of the Aura was generally positive, more positive than most in the auto press. I make it very clear that the reviews are simply my personal opinion. I've written many times that the only opinion that really matters is your own, not that of any reviewer, including me.

If I was amenable to pressure to report what people want to hear, then that's when the research would truly be in danger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #11
WhenenRome

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
my review of the Aura was generally positive, more positive than most in the auto press..
I don't mean to protract this, but that I'm going to disagree with pretty strongly. I'd just read your Aura review for the first time before posting my thoughts. Like I mentioned, I'd visited the site and read other linked reviews before... My first read of your Aura review only affirmed what I'd felt previously, about other reviews I'd read: You ultimately gave the Aura 4 stars, sure. But after all the harsh, seemingly endless critical nitpicking of it, you might as well have just dropped 4 anchors on its hood. I liken that review to the analogy of nearly choking the life out of someone, and then telling him how much you enjoy his company.

I'm not trying to pressure you into changing your opinion. What I'm saying is that your opinions are often written in a way that is so absolute, that they blow any collected data right out of the water. Being a writer myself (don't ever hold me to that on these posts!), I sense what you are trying to accomplish is to be thorough and detailed. But the end result is that, even in spite of the 4 stars you gave it, regardless of whatever comes out of the reliability data, the overall dialog of the review makes the idea of driving an Aura sound like a teeth-pulling experience. To me, this is a common format of your auto reviews.

I know you said you've stated numerous times that your opinion isn't the end all, and I appreciate your being magnanimous. However, your reviews are indeed, while hosted on a different site, clearly linked alongside the entries on your TruDelta site. The average visitor is going to look to that review beyond any data they read... And, as I alluded to before, the style in which you write your reviews often makes these cars seem more like a huge headache one has to cope with - as opposed to, say, a car they may enjoy driving. So for me, it's like, ''why bother contributing my experiences, when your test drive seems to have it all covered?'' To me, it's just a bit of a bummer - that's all.

Now: 07 Saturn Aura XR 3.6 Black / 04 Olds Bravada Final 500 Dark Cherry (both paid for!)

Last edited by WhenenRome; 02-23-2008 at 04:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WhenenRome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
mkaresh
Advanced Member

My reviews are not puff pieces. I do my best to highlight both the strengths and weaknesses of any car. I'm also not sure how a review would be written to take a less strong stance without then being wishy-washy. At least that's how the "let's keep the advertisers happy" reviews in the car mags can come across to me. And if you want true fluff, check out the reviews in most newspapers.

Many people like my review style; I frequently get encouraging emails. (Which I find surprising, because I don't spend a lot of time polishing them, and they can be rough around the edges.) Other people do not, wishing for something more positive and less detailed. I think it's a matter of the personality of the reader. People probably most like a review when the personality of the writer is similar to their own.

I think a key variable is that some people see things in black and white, while others see shades of gray. You see this in reviews. I personally prefer reviews that includes both positives and negatives, and distrust reviews that do not. Other people will say only positive things about products they like, and say only negative things about those they don't like, and expect to see the same in others' reviews.

You certainly overestimate the number of visitors to my site who click through to my reviews on Epinions. I doubt it's even ten percent. I can only track incoming clicks right now, not outgoing ones. But my Epinions traffic has not increased significantly while TrueDelta's traffic certainly has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

I find this interesting, you see I just registered my car with your site. That would be my 2007 Saturn Aura, and after completing the registration I was told that there were not enough cars of my model yet and I would be notified to report my repairs once enough Saturn Aura are registered. But when I looked at the report it said there were 111 Auras in the report.

Seems your system has a flaw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
I find this interesting, you see I just registered my car with your site. That would be my 2007 Saturn Aura, and after completing the registration I was told that there were not enough cars of my model yet and I would be notified to report my repairs once enough Saturn Aura are registered. But when I looked at the report it said there were 111 Auras in the report.

Is the flaw the fact that I didn't provide a license plate number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
WhenenRome

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Is the flaw the fact that I didn't provide a license plate number.
Why on earth would that be requested, let alone necessary? Those get blurred out on television for a reason...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

True Delta used to require your car's VIN number. I don't see why I need to give away personal information to "prove" I own an Aura...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Cincy Saturn
Cincy Saturn is on a distinguished road

Heart Re: Latest Saturn Aura reliability results

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenenRome View Post
Why on earth would that be requested, let alone necessary? Those get blurred out on television for a reason...
Yeah right and the next thing your going to say is that 555-1212 is not a real phone number...

The dipstick for the 710 fluid says "ADD"...Where do you buy 710 fluid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cincy Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cincy Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
WhenenRome

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saturn View Post
Yeah right and the next thing your going to say is that 555-1212 is not a real phone number...
Huh?

That's the number for national directory assistance... So I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that analogy - ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Quote:

The message you should have seen was:
If and when this model is included in the Vehicle Reliability Survey, you will receive a monthly email with encoded links to the survey.
A confirmation email should have also said:
Many models are already included in the main survey. Others will be added once enough owners have joined.
Neither states whether or not the Aura is already included, and I suppose this ambiguity can be confusing. It recently became possible for the script to check whether or not a model is already included, and update the message to report this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #20
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenenRome View Post
Because before people complained about the request for a license plate number, they complained that I had no way to verify whether or not the cars being reported on actually exist.

And I'm not broadcasting this information. You won't find it anywhere on the site.

I never asked for VINs, because few people would go through the trouble to get them. As for license plate numbers, they're about as public as personal info gets. And the site doesn't require them unless something seems suspicious about a car. I just don't want any future request to seem like it's coming out of the blue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!