SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Default Lemon Law experiences anyone?

For the third time my Aura is in the shop for power steering problems.

One failed attempt to fix noise coming from the steering (TSB for the steering shaft).

Another failed attempt to fix the noise (replaced entire shaft, noise still occurs, plus now steering has lots of play and is loose).

So it's in the shop for the third time because now it has a power steering leak (the reason for the looseness in the wheel, which did not occur until after the previous attempt to fix the noise, which is still there I might add).

Based on my reading of New York State law, I may be able to make some lemonade soon. Anyone ever have a car bought back by the manufacturer or used lemon law protections before?

At least I got a nice Mazda6 rental car. Sigh.

Last edited by MJD112379; 01-17-2008 at 10:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
peterd2007
peterd2007 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Lemon Law experiences anyone?

MJD..sorry to hear your about your problems. I have also had issues with the power steering. My problem was resolved on my first visit. Replaced intermediate shaft and power steering hose. But I also have had similiar issues with others such as:
chirp at cold start (not resolved yet)
rattle in front suspension (strut?, not resolverd yet)
warped rotors (replaced under warranty)
build quality issues (misaligned rear bumper and trunk lid. (dealer fixed trunk lid, but didn't want to tackle the bumper issue)
and let see what else?...lol. It has tested my patience.. But I am not sure if
I am going to call it a lemon just yet.. No MAJOR problems.
I am sure that they have resolved most of the issues for '08 AURA and Malibu. At least I hope they have.
In spite of all this I really like my AURA. I have no regrets with my purchase.

2007 AURA XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peterd2007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peterd2007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peterd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

All states have their own laws but essentially have the same guidelines
* The car must either be a safety problem or has significantly decreased in value
* The manufacturer must be made aware (not just the dealer). For you to have a chance, you must get the manufacturer involved now as prior visits do not really matter
* The manufacturer has a fixed amount of time to either resolve or respond. Usually this is approx. 45 - 60 days

I had a car with a suspension problem (VW) a long time ago. They fought me. They thought I would go away. When they determined I would not, they offered to swap me into a new car rather than having me use the Lemon Law. I was obviously quite pleased.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
MJD112379

I have the cold start chirp, too, by the way. It's a quick high pitched noise right as the engine is starting, right? My front rotors were resurfaced at 1,500 miles, too.

On the plus side, I REALLY like the rental car I have while it's being fixed. For my next vehicle I think I might buy something on the same platform (6/Fusion/Milan/MKZ). Could just be I'm not used to having a car that steers normally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd2007 View Post
MJD..sorry to hear your about your problems. I have also had issues with the power steering. My problem was resolved on my first visit. Replaced intermediate shaft and power steering hose. But I also have had similiar issues with others such as:
build quality issues (misaligned rear bumper and trunk lid. (dealer fixed trunk lid, but didn't want to tackle the bumper issue)
I am sure that they have resolved most of the issues for '08 AURA and Malibu. At least I hope they have.

2007 AURA XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S. is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd2007 View Post

2007 AURA XR
Yes they have (resolved issues in my '08 Aura at least), but MY GOODNESS?! I'd call warped rotors and rattling suspensions major probs on a less then 1 model year old vehical! What are we American consumers used to, when we consider these things not major? What's MAJOR?? Blow outs due to faulty tires and rolling over to our deaths?..... Air bags that decapitate?.....I guess if there is no death involved, then we're happy to drive sub-standard American Quality vehicals. Too bad I think, cuz I won't lower myself to buy the BETTER Quality Foreign P.O.S..... Don't give up on demanding to resolve ALL your issues, and sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly we will convince Detroit and the rest of the world that WE can make and deserve better.

And by the way, I think my '08 Saturn Aura XR is a pretty-damn good quality vehical (based on "Initial New Car Customer Satisfaction", I have only 1200 miles to compare) compared to the 15 or so vehicals (foreign and domestic) that I have owned thru the years.

and my signature includes the "6" that was included in the last post

#@ck yaa, it's a SATURN

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to B.A.S.S.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help B.A.S.S. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
B.A.S.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
vintagemerlot
vintagemerlot is on a distinguished road

My 2008 XR is my fourth Saturn. Our '96 and '03 had an average of 225,000 miles each and still looked and ran to my satisfaction. No major issues. My 2002 was only a year old when hurricane took it out. I fully expect this '08 Aura with the 100,000 mile warranty to hit at least 250,000 without major problems. Be cool. Saturn has a great car. Karma...Karma...Karma

New Orleans
08 Aura XR
04 Thunderbird
03 Saturn L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vintagemerlot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vintagemerlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vintagemerlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Flip94ta
Flip94ta is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

It does vary by state, one part of our state law says that vehicle maybe be replaced by one of a similar value or they may pay you for the current value of the car. That last one would be a loss to the consumer as the car has depreciated since purchase. Look it up online, most states have it posted on the web. Contact Saturn Customer Service and inform them that you are considering a lemon lawsuit. They may open a file and give you a reference number and may take care of dealer problems for you.

1994 Trans AM, Supercharged, Heads, Cam, etc. 540hp at the wheels
2004 Buick Rainier CXL
2001 Maxima SE
2007 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Flip94ta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Flip94ta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Flip94ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
MJD112379

I already called Saturn before I brought it back to the dealer and they put me in touch with the service manager there. The dealership people are very nice, no problems with them personally, but when it takes this long to get something fixed, and it keeps happening again and again, it's extremely frustrating. There were other issues with this car that I had fixed previously, too that should not happen on a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
It does vary by state, one part of our state law says that vehicle maybe be replaced by one of a similar value or they may pay you for the current value of the car. That last one would be a loss to the consumer as the car has depreciated since purchase. Look it up online, most states have it posted on the web. Contact Saturn Customer Service and inform them that you are considering a lemon lawsuit. They may open a file and give you a reference number and may take care of dealer problems for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
Flip94ta
Flip94ta is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

There is a time spent in service section to our law, like 45 days in a year or 30 days out of 90. I'm not sure if it counts weekends. Our car spent its first two weekends in the service department. I was wondering if they were going to split the first payment with us. I dont kow that you can count time they were working on other problems too. Like the body panels.

Its a shame, it will probably never give us anymore problems though the first 100K miles but it really got off on the wrong foot.

1994 Trans AM, Supercharged, Heads, Cam, etc. 540hp at the wheels
2004 Buick Rainier CXL
2001 Maxima SE
2007 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Flip94ta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Flip94ta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Flip94ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Lemon Law experiences anyone? - OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.S. View Post
Too bad I think, cuz I won't lower myself to buy the BETTER Quality Foreign P.O.S..... Don't give up on demanding to resolve ALL your issues, and sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly we will convince Detroit and the rest of the world that WE can make and deserve better.
In the contemporary world, I don't see that the distinction between a car from the USA and "furrin cars" makes much sense. There are far more important distinctions to make. For example, I'd be leery of buying a car- or anything for that matter- from China. The happy scenario is that "opening them up" encourages them behave in a reasonable manner in other respects. What with China selling nuclear gear to the Iranians, exploding satellites, (thereby jeopardizing our communications and, uh, surveillance satellites) and exporting Asian brown haze, that somewhat escapes me. I also don't care to give my dollars to a company from a country like China whose government is a dictatorship and that tolerates theft: e.g. Chery essentially stole a GM design (think they eventually settled for some paltry sum). Finally, I don't want to buy from a country where people like me, who tend to be critical of the status quo and might want to be able to speak their mind, are locked up in loathsome prisons and tortured or summarily executed (after their organs are removed). I think our extensive trade with China may perpetuate their corrupt, oppressive system more than it "opens them up" and encourages them to adopt our values.

But Japan or South Korea- even France- are different beasts. Now those countries don't exactly don't exactly meet the highest standards of laissez-faire capitalism, but then the US is not exactly perfect either. But those countries are democracies that respond to the collective will of the people, their citizens are free to speak their minds and worship the way they choose. If their citizens are willing to work for less than UAW wages and provide me with a well-designed vehicle, I am happy to buy their products.

Need I point out that GM is busy expanding their operations in China, thereby giving money to corrupt, repressive dictators? Or that the new Saturn you buy may be designed and assembled in good "old Europe" (home base of the French)? Or that Honda has made extensive investments in the US of A, not only in manufacturing, but also in design and development? I suppose GM is still more American than Honda, but both are world-wide corporations with all phases of their business distributed throughout the world. Moreover, I'd submit it is wrong to refuse to do business with someone simply because of his nationality. And it is morally wrong to care more about the fate of strangers in Detroit than in Yokohama or Ulsan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Your best bet would be to get a LemonLawyer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S. is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwool View Post
Moreover, I'd submit it is wrong to refuse to do business with someone simply because of his nationality. And it is morally wrong to care more about the fate of strangers in Detroit than in Yokohama or Ulsan.
When I'm in Rome, I buy Gelato from Romans. When I'm in America, I do my BEST to not contribute to the pending collapse of OUR Economy, and support our companies. Maybe if more felt the same, We wouldn't need the "$150 Billion 'shot in the arm'". Go buy some "French"fries...

#@ck yaa, it's a SATURN

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to B.A.S.S.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help B.A.S.S. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
B.A.S.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.S. View Post
Go buy some "French"fries...
Do you mean "Feedom fries", bub?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Would those be FreedomFriesBub, BubFriesFreedom, BubFreedomFries, FiesBubFreedom, FreedomBubFries ... and do the French have any idea what FrenchFries are, or would they be FrogFries?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Buy American,.... and Japanese cars built in America don't count
Would you buy an Astra (in principle)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchappell View Post
Would you buy an Astra (in principle)?
Umm... If anyone thinks that the Aura is American as Mom and Apple Pie, I have some waking news for them. Of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder but, the European connection to the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra is undeniable. Anyhow, how many cars are TRULY unique to a single country?

I have had experience with Lemon Laws - be prepared for a long and unsatisfying uphill battle. Rather get a dealer to fix your car
(perhaps not this one).

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD112379 View Post
Anyone ever have a car bought back by the manufacturer or used lemon law protections before?
Have you read about eric.brown's problems, just a few lines below your post in the Aura forum? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109840. Read the last page and his comments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
MJD112379

Yep, I have. The difference in my case is the dealer is trying to fix the car. I'm hoping to get it back fixed THIS time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Have you read about eric.brown's problems, just a few lines below your post in the Aura forum? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109840. Read the last page and his comments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #19
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerXR View Post
Umm... If anyone thinks that the Aura is American as Mom and Apple Pie, I have some waking news for them. .
The Aura was designed, engeneered, and built in the USA. Many think it came for Europe but it didnt. I know I worked on it.

HEyMO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBone View Post
The Aura was designed, engeneered, and built in the USA. Many think it came for Europe but it didnt. I know I worked on it.

HEyMO

Really? So, the appearance of the Aura and these Opels are purely coincidental?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote