SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

Default 95 SL2 just started running funny.

When I got about a block from home tonight on my way home from work my 95 SL2 started to run a bit funny.

It seems to run fine when I tried to accelerate, but when I pressed the gas just enough to keep the engine running at the same speed I was traveling (around 35 mph in 4th gear) it seemed like the engine was loosing and regaining power.

The check engine light has not turned on yet, so there are no codes. Also the engine now dies when idling. The temperature was just below 1/2 on the gauge. I pulled the plug wires and they weren't wet or oily. The engine was hot so I didn't remove the plugs yet to look at them. The ECTS was replaced a few years ago before the car was mine and before I knew the difference between the plastic and brass ones. It was obtained from a Saturn dealer for $19.

I'm about to go remove the plugs to take a look at them. The auto parts stores around here are closed right now so I can't pick up new plugs and wires until tomorrow.

Any guesses as to what might be wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Re: 95 SL2 just started running funny.

Disconnect the EGR and if the problem goes away you have identified the source! Make sure you drive it to normal operating temps so it goes out of open loop mode when you test it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
oseberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic torpedo View Post
Disconnect the EGR and if the problem goes away you have identified the source!
I should have thought of that. Good idea. I'll give it a try.

I removed the plugs, and 3 of them are covered in a thin coating of black soot. One is white. The black ones look like they're either fouled or getting fouled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
oseberg

I regapped my plugs and reinstalled them, and it ran exactly the same. Then while it was running I went and unplugged the EGR and there was no change. Then I reved the engine up to 2000 rpm. It slowly dropped down to 1200 and ran much better. As it warmed up it gradually dropped down to 900 and continued to run fine.

So I guess it's time to start cleaning out my EGR valve.

Boy do my plugs look bad, I'm supprised they're not the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
kornphlake
kornphlake is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

In other car forums the first suggestion would be to replace the fuel filter, if that doesn't help or if you know the filter is fairly new I'd start looking for vacuum leaks, Saturns are weird though when it comes to sluggish or surging accleration, people never seem to have the problems common to other vehicles, it's usually some sensor completely unrelated to fuel delivery, oxygen intake or spark but the PCM goofs up everything else because the one sensor is giving incorrect information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kornphlake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kornphlake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
adhsc2
adhsc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
but the PCM goofs up everything else because the one sensor is giving incorrect information.
welcome to saturn! even odd ball fuses that are not in line with many things can make lots of things stop working.

1995 Saturn SC2
Screw engines...I R HAVS A POWER MODULE!
Member of: Saturn Tuners Club - Southeast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhsc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhsc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I like the chime fuse. Who'd have thought that one fuse would stop the radio, the dome light, and the rear window defogger.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm > Plastic Torpedo
Disconnect the EGR and if the problem goes away you have identified the source!
Additionally, though, if there is any small pieces of carbon, lodging open the central pintle, disconnecting the EGR will not absolve the issue.

It would be better to take the unit off, and examine it -- while at the same time, cleaning it.

I am somewhat surprised that the SES light did not come on, thus setting a code into memory [#39].

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
oseberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Additionally, though, if there is any small pieces of carbon, lodging open the central pintle, disconnecting the EGR will not absolve the issue.

It would be better to take the unit off, and examine it -- while at the same time, cleaning it.

I am somewhat surprised that the SES light did not come on, thus setting a code into memory [#39].
I believe something caused my EGR valve to stick open. Removing the cable didn't do anything since it was still stuck open. Revving the engine seemed to break it loose, so now it's shut so that the engine can idle fine.

The EGR is still disconnected and the engine is running fine, but now the SES light is on.

Of course the problem isn't solved. It has just been isolated to the EGR valve. And of course I'll be removing and cleaning it as soon as I get a chance. Also while I have it off I'll be cleaning out the ducting in the head and intake manifold as best I can.

In any case, now that I think about it, if the EGR were permanently lodged open, removing the cable to it might have had no effect incorrectly leading me to believe that the EGR was not the problem. Luckily that wasn't the case or I might have wasted a ton of money and time replacing my plugs, wires, and every sensor in the engine trying to locate this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!