SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
dandres87
dandres87 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default SL2 Subframe

The tire shop said I needed to replace my subframe. I checked it out and it was battered up a nice bit. They told me 2k+ for everything I needed and I just smiled and left. So I'm going to replace it myself. Anyone have some steps and advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dandres87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dandres87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dandres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: SL2 Subframe

This is a cut and paste from the How To section posted by Woflman.
2k sounds high and unless they are trying to gouge you I'd guess they quoted for other replacement parts like the control arms.

Cradle removal: (abbreviated but easy enough to follow)

Jack up the car and support it with jackstands. You MUST get the car (measured at the frame) AT LEAST 16 inches off the ground.

Remove both front wheels and inner splash shields.

Remove the front (engine) splash shield from under the radiator

Seperate the tierod ends from the knuckle (both sides)
NOTE: This is NOT 100% necessary, BUT it can help to make removing the steering rack to cradle bolts easier, so I recommend you do so.

Seperate the ball joints from the knuckle. LEAVE the knuckles with brake componants, drive axles and struts still attached "hanging"

Support the engine and transaxle from ABOVE using a couple of appropriate length 2X4's layed accross the upper radiator support to the firewall upper portion and some STRONG rope/chain/cable through the lifting eyes. MAKE SURE that the engine/transaxle WILL NOT drop down when the cradle is removed from beneath them. ("Hanger" MUST be TIGHT before proceeding)

Remove the three nuts holding the exhaust down pipe to the manifold and the bracket and/or rubber hangers just forward of the catalytic convertor. Allow the down pipe to sag down (no need to remove it)

Remove the two bolts securing the steering rack to the cradle

Remove the LOWER engine dogbone mount and LOWER transaxle to cradle mount.

Tie the radiator SECURELY to the upper radiator support with some STRONG twine.

Break loose, but DO NOT REMOVE the 4 cradle to space frame bolts. ENSURE THAT NOTHING IS NOW ATTATCHED TO THE CRADLE! (except the lower control arms and sway bar) THEN remove the REAR cradle bolts FIRST. Support the FRONT of the cradle with a floor jack and THEN remove the front cradle attaching bolts.

SLOWLY lower the cradle making SURE that the RADIATOR does NOT come down with it and that NOTHING else is still attached or interfering with it lowering.

Drag the cradle with the sway bar and lower control arms still attached out the FRONT of the car, OVER the still attached exhaust pipe.

Install is reverse (LOL) DO NOT FORGET to use the front cradle alignment holes (mentioned in a post above) to align the cradle BEFORE tightening the bolts.

Hope that helps (and that I did not forget anything)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!

We are GM. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
dandres87

1997 SL2

thx, takes a couple of days i assume?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dandres87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandres87 View Post
thx, takes a couple of days i assume?
Couple of hours if you know what you're doing.

If you don't, shouldn't take more than 6 hours.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
dandres87

1997 SL2

so i dropped the subframe np. When i searched pikapart

http://www.pickapart.com/pickyourpartparts.php

for pricing it gives me 2 prices, which one is correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
so i dropped the subframe np. When i searched pikapart

http://www.pickapart.com/pickyourpartparts.php

for pricing it gives me 2 prices, which one is correct?
Someone else's! I take it you typed "subframe" into the search, right? How can they just puke out a price, without reference to make, model, year, whether they have it, etc.? And a $20 core? WTF would they want with a core subframe? Not to mention that the lower price is ouchy high (I would expect $50-100), and the higher price must be for a gold-plated one.

Try http://www.car-part.com . You can search by distance from your home, brand, model, year (and it knows what other models/years match).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
dandres87

1997 SL2

pick a part is the the best bet here in CA for pulling parts, it's not a saturn specific part place or watever. I just go and pull my part and pay for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
pick a part is the the best bet here in CA for pulling parts, it's not a saturn specific part place or watever. I just go and pull my part and pay for it.

The Pick-n-Pulls out here charge $29.99 for it.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote