SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #81
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Well darn, my '99 SL2 laps oil like a BMW

Pitcher, see my 4/29/2019 post above this thread that addresses your question of "or something else that cleans that is fairly thin? Or even some DexIII?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #82
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Pitcher, see my 4/29/2019 post above this thread that addresses your question of "or something else that cleans that is fairly thin? Or even some DexIII?"
You mean "3/29/2019", there is no 4/29/2019 post.

Yea, I know that. Just running it by NW as an option for him. He experiments & mixes just like I do.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #83
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005

If you have a Tractor Supply Co nearby it is on sale for $8.99

Then get your rebate.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...f-mobil-delvac

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #84
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

If you can get a hold of Kreen, try a Pint of it in your oil.

Significantly improved my '98 SC2 oil burning from a quart of oil every 250 miles to, well, you can see for yourself:

40,000 miles later & it's still using WAY less oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:51 AM   #85
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Just picked up 6 gallons of Delvac Super 15w-40

Plan to use it for short runs immediately after Chemtool flushes.

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #86
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Cool, NW!

Yes, Kreen significantly decreased my '98 SC2's oil burning (in my old thread)
about 40,000 miles ago (as well ).

Started burning a bit more since I stupidly put in Havoline PRO-DS.

Now switching it over to Rotella T5 Diesel oil to see if that helps.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:22 AM   #87
NWSaturn247

1999 SL2

http://pqiadata.org/Mobil_Delvac_15W40_732018.html

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Com...vac-1300-Super
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DelvacSuper.jpg (181.9 KB, 7 views)

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 11-06-2019 at 02:32 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #88
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Nice oil!

I like the added Zinc (ZDDP) & more in-line to the Saturn recommended viscosity of the Rotella T5 10w-30.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%20201...llatT51030.htm

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2019, 02:35 AM   #89
NWSaturn247

1999 SL2

Gahhhh OCD kicking in, must resist! Too early, but so much oil stashed.

Click link for a tasty BITOG nugget.

chemtool

Plan to alternate chemtool flushes followed by Delvac, followed by M1, rinse, repeat.

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #90
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

The Chemtool really does clean well. It got a lot more crap off my pistons on the top end soak than I thought even existed. It could have been also getting some carbon off the tops of the ring set, but without a boroscope I couldn't really tell.

I think if I do it again I'll alter the procedure some. First a basic soak to get out what I can, done the same as last time. Then take each piston to TDC on the compression stroke and use air pressure to push the Chemtool through the ring package.

Follow up the top soak with a lower flush short term, and then an early oil change after the lower flush.

But as with anything related to this car, subject to change. The clutch is almost gone, and I've got a wheel bearing, support bearing, or possibly a strut mount making noise. And though I could easily toss the 500-600 at it and drive it for years and years more, it's becoming more disposable every year. But I've told myself that for some 15-18 years now too.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #91
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2
Checkered Flag Re: Well darn, my '99 SL2 laps oil like a BMW

I just did a Lubri-Moly Engine Flush.

You should see the BLACK Oil & CR@P that came out!!

Just ran a double-dose of Redline SI-1 in the Gas too.

Red Hot turned into The Incredible Hulk!!

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #92
cantom
cantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
That sounds great, how about mixing that awesome thicker oil with a little MMO, which is about a 5W, or something else that cleans that is fairly thin? Or even some DexIII?
I have a 2001 SL1 SOHC. It is going through oil...

Would topping up with a litre of Dexron III do any harm?

Any chance it'd clean out the gunked up rings and thus promote less oil use?

95% of my driving is highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cantom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cantom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #93
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantom View Post
I have a 2001 SL1 SOHC. It is going through oil...

Would topping up with a litre of Dexron III do any harm?

Any chance it'd clean out the gunked up rings and thus promote less oil use?

95% of my driving is highway.
It may clean slightly, but going to a high-end oil or a Diesel oil may clean more.

Mine recently started using more oil as soon as I put in Havoline ProDS, so I started adding Rotella T5 10w-30, then changed it all out at 4k.

Ran Liqui-Moly Engine Flush idling for 10 minutes right before I changed the oil.

Filled with all Rotella T5 and so far, it is not burning any near as much as before the Engine Flush.

Rotella T5 - now on sale! https://www.amazon.com/Shell-ROTELLA...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Liqui-Moly Engine Flush: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20...=thedrive09-20

There ya go.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #94
cantom
cantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1

I'm not changing my own oil at this point. I went to the Quicki Lube place and got the car oil sprayed and oil changed to 5W30 for $99.

And the oil is going away.

Read on this or another thread that Saturn engines had defective piston design, something about no holes for draining oil from the ring grooves.

Not wanting to get into too much but if topping up with a litre of Dexron III might help free up the rings...and won't cause or promote wear.

The car only has 120,000 km on it, pretty low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cantom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #95
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I actually tried this on my '99 before the rebuild. Oil consumption did not improve. After the rebuild it uses ~no oil.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #96
cantom

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I actually tried this on my '99 before the rebuild. Oil consumption did not improve. After the rebuild it uses ~no oil.
This thing is really eating the oil...worst I've had of the 6 Saturns. And at only 122,000 km.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #97
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Read on this or another thread that Saturn engines had defective piston design, something about no holes for draining oil from the ring grooves.
Could also be: valve stem seal, PCV valve, valve cover gasket, or a worn oil drain plug gasket.

Most likely a combination of two or more of the above. But given the low (75k) miles, I would check the valve cover gasket by the rear driver side corner, and look under the car to see if any oil drops are hanging off the oil drain plug.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #98
cantom

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Could also be: valve stem seal, PCV valve, valve cover gasket, or a worn oil drain plug gasket.

Most likely a combination of two or more of the above. But given the low (75k) miles, I would check the valve cover gasket by the rear driver side corner, and look under the car to see if any oil drops are hanging off the oil drain plug.
This car already had the valve cover seal fixed (it was leaking)

No sign of oil pools in the driveways, have kept an eye out for it. Appears dry.

No clouds of blue smoke either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #99
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
This car already had the valve cover seal fixed (it was leaking)
If the valve cover itself is warped and was not replaced, a new gasket could temporarily fix the issue only for it to appear again, or the cover could have warped. Checking is free and easy, takes a few seconds (use clean paper towel to wipe area, should be dry).

It's common / normal to rule out new parts or things that were recently serviced, but search around and you will see that sometimes the new part was faulty out of the box. My approach to troubleshooting is usually start with the cheapest methods / likeliest things
Quote:
No sign of oil pools in the driveways, have kept an eye out for it. Appears dry.
I don't know how rapidly you are losing oil, but a drop of oil every few hours may not leave a pool or puddle but over the course of a week can add up, especially when added to the normal oil-burning you get from driving highway speeds.

Quote:
No clouds of blue smoke either.
That's good news.

Is it the original OEM PCV valve, and does it rattle when shaken? I've never had a problem (replaced the PCV with a fixed orifice one in my 98) but some threads have shown the PCV to occasionally be the cause of inexplicable oil burring. A few folks have said that the current PCV valves sold will fit but have a wrong spring rate or something.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #100
cantom

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
If the valve cover itself is warped and was not replaced, a new gasket could temporarily fix the issue only for it to appear again, or the cover could have warped. Checking is free and easy, takes a few seconds (use clean paper towel to wipe area, should be dry).

It's common / normal to rule out new parts or things that were recently serviced, but search around and you will see that sometimes the new part was faulty out of the box. My approach to troubleshooting is usually start with the cheapest methods / likeliest things
I don't know how rapidly you are losing oil, but a drop of oil every few hours may not leave a pool or puddle but over the course of a week can add up, especially when added to the normal oil-burning you get from driving highway speeds.

That's good news.

Is it the original OEM PCV valve, and does it rattle when shaken? I've never had a problem (replaced the PCV with a fixed orifice one in my 98) but some threads have shown the PCV to occasionally be the cause of inexplicable oil burring. A few folks have said that the current PCV valves sold will fit but have a wrong spring rate or something.
Thank you. I will go down this list in the am, check each item. New PCV valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!