SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
SlowS98
SlowS98 is on a distinguished road

Default S series timing

I have a 97 S series with the DOHC engine. I suspect one of the valves may be burned (or a ring is gone), though I haven't confirmed it yet. I'd like to get it back on the road as cheaply as possible; it's a daily beater, so I don't want to spend more than absolutely necessary.

Is there a way to pull the head without removing the timing cover and re-time the car properly? I know the crank pulley has a timing mark, so could I simply remove the cam gears and then reinstall them when I put the head back on? It seems like as long as I can confirm that the crank is in the 3 o'clock position, I'm golden. Of course, if the timing chain is stretched I'll end up taking off the timing cover, anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlowS98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlowS98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlowS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: S series timing

Pretty sure you have to pull the cover to reset the tensioner

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, you do have to remove the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

With OTC 6685 you can hold the cam gears in place and replace the camshafts without changing the timing. I remember people making custom versions of it for far less than the $200 I see it currently going for.

Even if that tool lets the head clear the gears it'll be super amazing awesome taking off with the timing cover in place; the cover is RTV'd to the block & head and I believe there's a couple of alignment pins that combined with the cover being in place will only let the head come straight up so no chance to get leverage against the RTV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
With OTC 6685 you can hold the cam gears in place and replace the camshafts without changing the timing. I remember people making custom versions of it for far less than the $200 I see it currently going for.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160333

cant tell if that thread has pics because most are blocked at work

Isn't #3 exhaust the valve that usually burns? Or is it #4? Compression test?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowS98 View Post
I have a 97 S series with the DOHC engine. I suspect one of the valves may be burned (or a ring is gone), though I haven't confirmed it yet. I'd like to get it back on the road as cheaply as possible; it's a daily beater, so I don't want to spend more than absolutely necessary.

Is there a way to pull the head without removing the timing cover and re-time the car properly? I know the crank pulley has a timing mark, so could I simply remove the cam gears and then reinstall them when I put the head back on? It seems like as long as I can confirm that the crank is in the 3 o'clock position, I'm golden. Of course, if the timing chain is stretched I'll end up taking off the timing cover, anyway.
No. You have to pull the timing cover to remove the cylinder head.

If you suspect a burnt valve or dead cylinder, then you should perform a compression test.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote