SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Don't you hate aluminum wheels?

I am getting my 99 SC2 ready for use as my winter car - and noticed bad tire wear on front. Either excessive tow in or undercamber.

No problem. I go steal a set of tires on one of the parts car - which like the 99 are steel wheels.

The SO drove the donor car into the ground 4 years ago. (Body rust and low compression.) It has been sitting outside on the ground ever since.

The tires still had 20 psi air pressure.

Stupid aluminum rims go flat sitting for two weeks.

I love steel wheels.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Don't you hate aluminum wheels?

Amen! Steel all the way.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nah, I 'adore' aluminum rims for their distinct advantages. When clear coat or paint peels/chips, corrosion begins immediately and spreads under the clear/paint area until the rim looks horrible. Once corrosion begins by the bead area, corrosion works into the bead and lets air out slowly. The best tire replacement occurs when the tire hockey uses steel weights crimped onto aluminum rims...... to begin the corrosion process. He doesn't know not to use steel crimp on weights. And last but not in the least, 45 and lower series tires are terrific in potholes - damaging aluminum rims. Miracle workers sometimes somehow remove the tire then heat up bent rims and bend, hammer, smash them back to shape (YouTube).

I'm on a second set for my '03 L300 because the factory set was getting old and lost its chromy look after the plastic chrome wore off. A wagon with aluminum rims leaked from corrosion around the bead. Top secret info only aluminum rim owners have privilege to; keep rims from scratching on curbs otherwise damaging clear coat or paint results in eventual bead leaks. I think BMW was one company to epoxy paint their rims but still relied on owners avoiding curb rash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Amen! Steel all the way.
+1. When I bought my SW2 new, I insisted they swap out the alloy rims. The dealer was incredulous, but hey, they've held up and buying a set of replacement plastic hubcaps on eBay to deal with curb wear was a bargain!

IIRC, there wasn't a lot of weight differential between steel and aluminum rims.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

In my day 99.9% of all cars had steel wheels and it was cool to buy aluminum aftermarket wheels for your car to soup it up. ...and now it has become the opposite.

Don’t get me started on alloys painted black. Are they going for that ‘someone stole my hubcaps’ look?

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
jbuenavides
jbuenavides is on a distinguished road

For me, the use of aluminum wheels for my car is just fine. I did a couple of research between using aluminum and steel and it seems like Aluminum has the upper hand with regards to the wide variety of design, the balance of performance, and cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbuenavides's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbuenavides reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbuenavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamor View Post
This is a tough question, but I did conduct some research and have seen these 5 cars on the list:

Kia Sportage
Mazda CX-5
Honda Fit
Subaru Impreza
Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuenavides View Post
Kia Sportage
Mazda CX-5
Honda Fit
Subaru Impreza
Ford Focus

An old list, I have never used any of these cars but it's the one that shows up on google results.
From another thread - I think we have a post copying spambot. Please report!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
In my day 99.9% of all cars had steel wheels and it was cool to buy aluminum aftermarket wheels for your car to soup it up. ...and now it has become the opposite.

Don’t get me started on alloys painted black. Are they going for that ‘someone stole my hubcaps’ look?

Most likely they want to cover up the corrosion...

I got good results with Rustoleum hammered finish silver......

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post

I get good results by not looking too closely.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post

Darn! and I just bought Rustoleum Metallic Titanium Silver paint for my wheel caps.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #11
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Funny thing about the aluminum rims - especially the three hole pattern from 95-96 - the paint on the scallops is almost indestructable. I sand blasted one set - and that paint survived intact...

If only they painted the whole rim with that paint - the suckers would last forever...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
I-4
I-4 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Steel for general use and much better in winter with salt and road sand and its sandblasting. I will admit that I have one set of each now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help I-4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
I-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

I am trying to find a pair of 15-inch steelies that are silver but since I live in an apartment I can't really store my awful aluminium anywhere. I don't understand why they look so awful, other cars with aluminium alloys look like they've faired way better than the Saturns.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Did you read post#3? I wasn't kidding about aluminum wheels. I like them but learned over the years about the good and bad issues. You can search for more info if you don't believe me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
^ Did you read post#3? I wasn't kidding about aluminum wheels. I like them but learned over the years about the good and bad issues. You can search for more info if you don't believe me.
I know why they look awful. I should've clarified, why do Saturn aluminium alloys look way worse than anything else at this age? I can go to the junkyard and while other aluminium alloys aren't perfect, they are in way better condition than any of the Saturns in the lot.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Aluminum is aluminum in bare form. If you're aware of bare aluminum storm doors (unpainted) or other uses for untreated aluminum, normal weathering from oxidation turns it dark from finished appearances. Whether polished or left natural from processes, bare aluminum simply corrodes over time. Steel rusts from iron. Aluminum doesn't rust but does corroded from reacting to air, moisture and salt. WWII airplanes were either painted against salt water corrosion (Navy dark blue with green anti corrosion paint on the inside and still used in aviation today to treat aluminum against corrosion in most commercial airlines). The Air Force never fully painted their aircraft but the Army Air Force did with drab green paint. More for the beginnings of camouflage than just distinguishing themselves with markings. Saturn may have not used thicker clear coat or left aluminum wheels bare after polishing.

All you need to know is that unless aluminum is anodized (chemically etched on the surface with tinted color) or epoxy painted, bare aluminum will corrode, period. Polished and clear coating may be difficult to see against an uncoated polished wheel. And using anti oxidizing clear coating may be a special paint to last a little longer to reduce but never eliminate yellowing as sunlight wears down coatings. WWII aircraft polished to a mirror finish aren't clear coated and for appearances to the public. You never see what labor is involved keeping these airplanes polished as this is a labor of love to keep them in flying condition and for the public to enjoy. Planes weren't polished during WWII since combat tends to destroy what's used where priority is given to maintenance than polishing skins.

Once clear coat is chipped, corrosion begins on bare aluminum. Polishing bare aluminum wheels isn't seen in public but those not wanting any clear coat will spend hours polishing aluminum to a mirror finish. And repeat this as often as necessary. I'm not interested in polishing my wheels when they're already painted and need washing to remove grime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #17
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
I know why they look awful. I should've clarified, why do Saturn aluminium alloys look way worse than anything else at this age? I can go to the junkyard and while other aluminium alloys aren't perfect, they are in way better condition than any of the Saturns in the lot.
Our bolts/nuts seem to rust up more than I've seen elsewhere too. I think GM speced cheaper materials in some places. Probably a cheaper clear in our case. Factory rims usually aren't just polished, they've got a clear coat on them. Or it could be that people saw our Saturns as mostly non-special and ran them until they didn't.... lots of gas and go people out there.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

I'm sure they spec'd cheaper materials in some places, why wouldn't they? It's all about profits and if the cheaper material will hold up just as long as it needs to get it out of warranty that's all they care about. I can't argue with that, I don't like it, but can't argue. Is the average consumer going to pay more for something like that, even if they tell you it will last longer? No. Maybe we will, but then again most of us on this forum are not your average consumer, are we? And really would you even believe them if they told you they were using "higher quality materials that would last longer" I wouldn't, I'd deal with it when it happened. But's that just me, YMMV.
They are not into making cars that last forever, they are into manufacturing and selling cars. Why do you think there is always one bolt that you need to get too, is covered by 15 other items you need to remove just to get to it? They aren't into "ease of maintenance" that's the dealers job, and they support them buy making that one bolt that has to have the engine come out just to get to, but at the end of the day they are in the manufacturing business, that's their job. And just to clarify, it's not only GM, it's every auto manufacturer out there, no matter how much advertising crap they throw out at the consumer. At the end of the day, it's one sentence and one sentence only, " How much more profit can we make if we. . . "

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

Last edited by lilwhitetruck; 10-24-2019 at 12:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #19
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
I'm sure they spec'd cheaper materials in some places, why wouldn't they? It's all about profits and if the cheaper material will hold up just as long as it needs to get it out of warranty that's all they care about. I can't argue with that, I don't like it, but can't argue. Is the average consumer going to pay more for something like that, even if they tell you it will last longer? No. Maybe we will, but then again most of us on this forum are not your average consumer, are we? And really would you even believe them if they told you they were using "higher quality materials that would last longer" I wouldn't, I'd deal with it when it happened. But's that just me, YMMV.
They are not into making cars that last forever, they are into manufacturing and selling cars. Why do you think there is always one bolt that you need to get too, is covered by 15 other items you need to remove just to get to it? They aren't into "ease of maintenance" that's the dealers job, and they support them buy making that one bolt that has to have the engine come out just to get to, but at the end of the day they are in the manufacturing business, that's their job. And just to clarify, it's not only GM, it's every auto manufacturer out there, no matter how much advertising crap they throw out at the consumer. At the end of the day, it's one sentence and one sentence only, " How much more profit can we make if we. . . "
But that ain't Saturn.

I have worked on cars for 45 years - foriegn and domestic and I can tell you that Saturns were built by guys who had worked on cars. They KNEW what a PITA some jobs could be - and designed a lot around making it easier.

Try working on a 71 MGB and you will see how much easier a Saturn is to service.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
I'm sure they spec'd cheaper materials in some places, why wouldn't they?...."
Your rant is missing my point. My observations lead me to believe that the Saturn S-series uses cheaper materials in some places than I'm used to seeing in other vehicles. In other words I'm not pointing out the status quo, I'm observing what I would consider to be less than the status quo.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote