SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Smoke when taking off from stop light

I have an 02 Saturn sc2 if I take off from a stop after sitting for a minute or if I let it idle and rev it up after a minute or two of idling I will get a nice puff of blue smoke. The car has 164,000 the engine supposedly has 120,000 last engine was burned up (ran low on oil).
Compression was great all at 210-212 engine runs good and has no coolant loss. And doesn't smoke when driving.
Is this a valve seal issue or is it an oil control ring issue. I'm sure the engine sat for a little while if it was replaced so maybe the valve seals dried out? Should I just not worry about it or is there anything feasible I can do? I do have the fixed orfice pcv installed as well .
Also unrelated but what is the bulb number for the cluster? I need to get a couple so I may replace them with a blue bulbs but for the life of me cannot remember the bulb number
Thank you everyone!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Smoke when taking off from stop light

Step 1 is always coolant temp sensor

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

The coolant temp sensor is the brass sensor but what does it have to do with blue smoke ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Likely valve seals or guides.
Inspect the PCV system and make sure that it is OK.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

Everything I see in the pcv system seems fine as I said I have the fixed orfice pcv in place I assume that is ok?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
ZuluKono
ZuluKono is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

I've only had my Saturn about a month and a half,
but one thing I've learned is that it burns oil.
I always keep extra oil with me and top it off at every fill-up.

All GM, all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZuluKono's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZuluKono reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZuluKono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #7
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL

Don't waste your time with the temperature sensor. If it's truly BLUE smoke and not WHITE smoke, you have an issue with burning oil. Common with the s series. I suggest you take a good look at this post for some help on cleaning out the piston rings. Not too hard of a procedure: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80118

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:04 AM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Yep. Piston soak may help. Otherwise just get used to adding a lot of oil.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
Also unrelated but what is the bulb number for the cluster? I need to get a couple so I may replace them with a blue bulbs but for the life of me cannot remember the bulb number
Thank you everyone!!
Should be listed on the LED conversion thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152386

Several folks there just ended up (towards the end of the thread) buying regular bulbs from Belmetric or other sources (links and numbers are included towards the end of the thread, I think)

Though . . . since this is a 3rd gen, a Vue cluster with blue lights might be nice. I was thinking of swapping out my Torrent red gauges for the Vue blue

https://forum.sixthsphere.com/forum/...ster-swap-list

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I purchased my '99 in Nov 2018. Usage was about 1200 miles to the quart. I performed a Chemtool B12 engine flush. First I put on a fresh Puro Classic 20195 and idled the old oil and 8 ounces of B12 for 20 minutes. Then I drained and refilled with some Quaker State HM oil and drove 202 miles. Then changed the oil again with Mobil Super HM with a 20% concentration of Marvel Mystery Oil and a PSL20195. Ran that for 2000 miles. Recently changed oil again with ~2.8 qt Mobil 1 TDT + 1 qt M1 HM 5w-20 + 7oz mos2 and a Wix 51516. So far looks like a significant improvement.

I will eventually do a piston soak, maybe in the Spring.

Also, I have noticed on my Gas Buddy app trip logs an increase in acceleration events, ha. Engine is running in tip top shape. I do not drive pedal to the metal. My only speeding ticket ever was in the 90s

1999 SL2 A4 -86k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 10-04-2019 at 01:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

I was considering doing some sort of engine flush + piston soak.

What would be the best chemical to use for a piston soak something that will eat carbon?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

On my old '93 I started out with B12. That stuff will remove any protective film for the pistons/cylinders so next step I sprayed loads of PB Blaster in there for hours. Only then I bumped the engine a few times. Last step was an extended Rislone Engine Treatment soak.

1999 SL2 A4 -86k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #13
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I never had any luck with MMO. I suspect it works when the build up is very light.
I've read some online who claim success with coca-cola.

There was a guy on here who had great success with B-12. Others thought that was dangerous.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #14
NWSaturn247

1999 SL2

^^^member td1238

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196293

1999 SL2 A4 -86k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
I have an 02 Saturn sc2 if I take off from a stop after sitting for a minute or if I let it idle and rev it up after a minute or two of idling I will get a nice puff of blue smoke. The car has 164,000 the engine supposedly has 120,000 last engine was burned up (ran low on oil).
Compression was great all at 210-212 engine runs good and has no coolant loss. And doesn't smoke when driving.
Is this a valve seal issue or is it an oil control ring issue. I'm sure the engine sat for a little while if it was replaced so maybe the valve seals dried out? Should I just not worry about it or is there anything feasible I can do? I do have the fixed orfice pcv installed as well .
Thank you everyone!!
Valve stem seals are shot. It is a common failure in higher mileage twin cams.

I am on my second high-mileage twin cam, and I have the exact same problem.

Just keep an eye on your oil level and keep it topped up.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #16
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
I was considering doing some sort of engine flush + piston soak.

What would be the best chemical to use for a piston soak something that will eat carbon?
Do a soak and you'll risk burning your exhaust valves in the #3 cylinder.

I went through all the rigmarole, with my first engine. The SeaFoam treatment did nothing to curb the oil consumption and I was left with a burnt exhaust valve in the #3 cylinder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

How did the soak burn your exhaust valve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
How did the soak burn your exhaust valve?
I added SeaFoam to my fuel tank, in addition to soaking the pistons.

Piston soak is not going to help you, because you have leaking valve stem seals

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

Well I did the piston soak and put it back together last night and I no longer have any smoke coming out at stop lights or if I let it sit and then rev the engine.....so it's definitely an improvement. I did a piston soak with motor flush and b12 chemtool then ran a bottle of motor flush through the crankcase and then changed oil and plugs .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

FWIW, my chevy Avalanche has 190K on it.
Went to burning oil at about 1-1/2 qt per 800 miles.
It was so bad, whenever I let off gas then accelerated it blew huge blue clouds out the tail.
Desperate, and no $ to do a ring job.
With a fresh oil change, I added 1 qt Dexron IV and 1 qt Hy-per Lube.
Now literally, after 700 miles of the same city/expressway driving it has not dropped any on the dipstick.
This engine has that AFM GM feature that slips into V4 mode from V8 mode but the Hy-per lube does not seem to mess with that function.
Never used this additive before and will post updates if things change better or worse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote