SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Which rebuild kit to get SC2

2002 SC2 manual

I took my car in to get the engine rebuilt and the dude gave me some line about he can't get the parts because they aren't made anymore. Which I don't really believe. Maybe I should just do it myself.

I know there are rebuild kits out there. What should I get if I decide to do this myself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Which rebuild kit to get SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
2002 SC2 manual

I took my car in to get the engine rebuilt and the dude gave me some line about he can't get the parts because they aren't made anymore. Which I don't really believe. Maybe I should just do it myself.

I know there are rebuild kits out there. What should I get if I decide to do this myself?
Was this the car you lost your virginity in? Its much cheaper to just junk it and get another Saturn with less miles.
If you want to rebuild it, its a labor of love but won't ever make financial sense.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I did not lose my virginity in my Saturn but I found the rebuild worthwhile.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898

You just need a better machine shop. Run, don't walk away from the current one.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I did not lose my virginity in my Saturn but I found the rebuild worthwhile.

You just need a better machine shop. Run, don't walk away from the current one.
I saw your pictures. What the heck did you do? Looks like you grafted the tail of a V tail Bo on the body of a Cherokee.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:33 AM   #5
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Was this the car you lost your virginity in? Its much cheaper to just junk it and get another Saturn with less miles.
If you want to rebuild it, its a labor of love but won't ever make financial sense.

-Robert
Yes I know this. I'm an accountant.

Now about those parts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I saw your pictures. What the heck did you do? Looks like you grafted the tail of a V tail Bo on the body of a Cherokee.

-Robert
It's a Sonex Waiex.
https://www.sonexaircraft.com

If you read the threads besides mine, some people use Cleggs.
https://www.cleggengine.com/engine-r...urn-1-9l-71341

The machine shop got me an enginetech kit. I specified silv-o-lite pistons.
https://enginetech.com

Rock Auto also has parts, probably including a full rebuild kit.

My engine rebuild was $1400. Not hard to get a good return on an engine rebuild, assuming you mean to keep it. A friend had his rebuilt and paid for all the work, and that was $5000. Ouch!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
It's a Sonex Waiex.
https://www.sonexaircraft.com

My engine rebuild was $1400. Not hard to get a good return on an engine rebuild, assuming you mean to keep it. A friend had his rebuilt and paid for all the work, and that was $5000. Ouch!
Check out LKQ too. I bought an engine from them for $800 and have about 100,000 on it now. Runs through a quart about every 2,000 miles which isn't too far from factory original

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I'll second Clegg.... great folks to work with

Highmile
"95 SL1 693k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Thanks for the info guys!

Clegg's looks like the way to go since they seem to make everything easy to put together.

I see they have overbore options.

Has anyone tried that with their S-Series?

Aside from a decrease in fuel efficiency are there any downsides to going .20 over?

Does it deliver any appreciable increase in power?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Mine was bored up one size. No noticable change in power or economy.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Before you buy parts you should take it apart and have the block and crank professionaly measured. The reason you work through a quality machine shop is that they will get the correct parts for you at a lower cost then you can do this yourself IF you are going to do the final assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Your center thrust bearing is likely to be scored and out of tolerance. You can find GM replacement crankshafts, but they are pricey. I paid $463 for just my crankshaft.

Find a better machine shop. Usually when they give you a line like what you have been given, it translates to "I don't want to deal with your engine/car."

Just an FYI, GM dealerships hate dealing with Saturns as well.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #13
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

I don't know if it would be more economical than that $463, but crank surfaces can be welded and ground for repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:11 AM   #14
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I figured they were giving me a line.And I do plan to go through a machine shop. I probably will not do final assembly myself for two reasons 1. I haven't got the experience or equipment to do it right the first time ( and I don't want there to be a second time) and 2. I don'wanna.

I may do the engine pull and install myself. Though I don't want to do that either.

Not sure how to find a quality machine shop since I can't trust online reviews from consumers, since consumers generally don't know squat about squat.

Any suggestions on finding a quality machine shop or recommendations in my area?

I'm in SoCal near Pomona.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

A good used crank is about 125.00 and in most cases all it needs is polished, or you could grind it if you wanted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If your car was never run low on oil, and had regular oil changes, the crank is very likely fine. My cylinders ended up needing a bore up a size. No more oil consumption with my new pistons.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
A good used crank is about 125.00 and in most cases all it needs is polished, or you could grind it if you wanted.
Looks like I can get an Enginetech reman for around $200 if I needed to.

Now I see the need for a good machine shop. I need someone who has the skill and tools to measure the crankshaft. Then once that is all measured and if necessary properly grinded, order parts to fit the crankshaft.

Is that correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Measure the block and if still good bore for new cylinders that will fit your new pistons. All aluminum should be boiled out so you start clean. Use Silv-O-Lite pistons and silicone-aluminum bearings, molly rings.

These threads are NOT identical and the info in them catn turn out to be very critical. Some of the part recommendations regarding timing sets are no longer valid.

Head replacement and chain remove-replace
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168496

Complete overhaul
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170045 ehunter
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145250 cboss
3rd gen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
I need someone who has the skill and tools to measure the crankshaft. Then once that is all measured and if necessary properly grinded, order parts to fit the crankshaft.

Is that correct?
Exactly! Also the cylinder bores.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Always have the block boiled out so you find out if any liners are loose BEFORE you rebuild it and fill the crankcase full of antifreeze.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!