SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
OCMan
OCMan is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
Default clip in plug on alternator

'95 Saturn SC-1. I have changed the alternator recently and it keeps giving me issues saying it is not working when I check the alternator with my tester/jumper. I have noticed that my radio will cut out and that warns me something is up.

I did run an 8 awg cable from the positive port on the battery to the back bolt on the alternator, as that cable had torn at one point. And I have come to understand that the 10 awg cable there might not handle the demands of my stereo. But then the plug just popped off again driving earlier. Is there anything that could be causing that?

It is a brand new alternator. Could it just not have a good grip point for the clip? It was doing this same thing before the 10 awg cable. I just had not realized it until recently.

Thank you for any input.

Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OCMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OCMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: clip in plug on alternator

How many watts draw (actual) is the stereo?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
OCMan

1995 SC1

Honestly I am not even sure, it was put into the car.... about 8 years ago. So I think maybe over time it wore off.

I just cannot figure out why the clip on the side keeps coming loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OCMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Unless you have one of, I think, 3 models of Sony stereos (built in 40w-rms x 4 amp) there's no reason to use bigger than 16awg wiring for it and even that much is a bit overkill.

What actual voltage do you have while the engine is running? If it's not at least 13v the alternator isn't working and if it's under 13.5 it's not healthy.

Better to add a wire on the starter posts rather than the alternator, the starter is not only cheaper but you're less likely to break it by over tightening. The B+ terminal on the alternator is pretty sensitive and easy to break.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you did...if the positive battery cable is broken just replace it rather than trying to jimy-rig a hack to work long term...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
OCMan

1995 SC1

Okay, lets just forget the radio and the wire. That is in no way my issue. My issue is that the wire connection on the side of the alternator, the pins, that clips in with the little clip. The one you should have to lift up on the clip and pull off. This keeps popping off randomly while I am driving, therefor making the alternator not work. I am trying to figure out what I can do to sort this issue out. What I can do to get this cable to stop popping off for no real reason as far as I can tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Zip ties? Glue?
A new pigtail?: https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Co...dp/B01EEP9GK6/ ('91-'97.5 S-Series only use the middle wires; '97.5-'02 use a different plug entierly)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
OCMan

1995 SC1

Well I have zip ties, but no clue as to how one would go about zip tying this plug to the side of the back of the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #8
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

There's a couple of cutouts just below the connector, wiggle a long zip tie under it and then up around the connector (outlined in blue in attachment). Might even have enough of a ledge for a zip-tie to grab onto with the normal plug lock. Neither of these is a long-term fix, they'll eventually break the wires and you'll then be forced to replace the connector anyway.
I suspect a couple of thin spade connectors (normal ones are too wide) and electrical tape would work too and possibly be more long-term than zip-ties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adr0174-3__24596.1560365901.jpg (47.7 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #9
OCMan

1995 SC1

I will take a look at these options. Thank you for the advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #10
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Get a replacement plug at a junkyard. Probably cost you all of $2.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

At a guess, you are not pushing the connector on far enough to latch.
Check the alternator plug plastic for flashing or raised areas.
QC isnít what it used to be.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote