SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2
Default liftgate support replacement

I'm now the proud owner of a pair of 6x9 boxes that I'm planning on securing to the liftgate in my 98 sw2. My plan is to just hack away the plastic panel and screw directly into the existing speaker screw holes, shouldn't be too hard. I'm thinking this will add an appreciable amount of weight to the liftgate though, and since I just did the hood strut mod, struts are on my mind. Can I replace the liftgate struts with something stronger or will I need to repurpose the hood support rod?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: liftgate support replacement

McMaster-Carr has tons of strut options, you'll have to measure the open/closed lengths and then get the appropriately rated struts. Oh, they're not "Struts" they're "Gas Springs"

https://www.mcmaster.com/#struts/=1d3ftws

I don't remember how the hatch struts attach to the car, should be the standard eye-bolt but could be something custom just for Saturn too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Is there a better spot to put the speakers on ... like on atop both fender well covers instead? They are sturdy plastic and wiring to them would be tons easier...plus not having to modify the tailgate at all.
Those back struts would last a lot longer without additional weight....it would probably save you life as the hatchback lid would not someday come crashing down on your head or torso.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

fetchitfido, thanks, I'll do some digging. the attachment seems to be the standard 3/8 ball stud that's common everywhere.

I do a decent amount of hauling and people moving, so I want to retain as much functional space as possible. I'm going to spend some quality time with a JY wagon and see how much space I can create behind the wheel well as an alternative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote