SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Events
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Keyless Ignition killing People

Weaned from using a key, drivers have left cars running in garages, spewing exhaust into homes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...xide-toll.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Keyless Ignition killing People

Thatís amazing..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

I don't think you can blame this on keyless ignition as much as stupidity.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

It's not much different than forgetting to remove the keys from the ignition switch, other than there's no physical item to put in a purse/pocket.

The driver has to remember to push the button to start the vehicle; they should make an effort to add pushing the button again as part of a routine.

While I don't have a garage, I did momentarily forget to shut my current car off a few times during the first week I drove it. After I opened the driver's door, started to get out and heard the engine running, I knew what I forgot to do. I never walked away and left the car unattended while the engine ran. Now, hitting the stop button is part of my shut-down routine.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I read this part and was shocked
Quote:
Mr. Schaub is among more than two dozen people killed by carbon monoxide nationwide
Then I kept reading

Quote:
since 2006 after a keyless-ignition vehicle was inadvertently left running in a garage.
2006 is 12 years ago.

So, averaging two people a year? For me, that fits into the freak accident category.

Here's a 1972 study, well before keyless

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/do...JPH.62.11.1463
Quote:
This paper presents data suggesting that over 500 Americans die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning because their vehicles are defective due to deterioration, damage, or poor automotive design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS350
I don't think you can blame this on keyless ignition as much as stupidity.
I get what you are saying and agree to some extent, but it is really easy to get distracted and miss something, even if it is routine. I came to work yesterday without my wallet.

My normal routine at work is to turn off the car, pocket the key and exit. One time, I had to sneeze or something, put the keys on my lap (where I knew I would remember, and could not get up without them jingling) and hurriedly grabbed a Kleenex.

The keys slipped off my lap and fell - silently - into the Kleenex box. I got out and locked the car, did not realize I did not have my keys until later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys
After I opened the driver's door, started to get out and heard the engine running, I knew what I forgot to do.
Article points out it is more a problem with certain makes (Toyota, etc.) that have quiet-running engines. It had to be really, really quiet for you to hear my Honda running.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

The other half of that is that many of the people in the article were at least middle aged or seniors, IIRC, which coupled with an engine that emits ~50 dB at idle, they did not notice it.

If you can't feel any engine vibration at idle, glancing at the tachometer is a sure way to determine if the engine is still running after you get to your destination but before you exit the vehicle.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ good point, but some auto trans cars don't have a tach.

I always thought tachs were standard equipment but a I think a couple of my minivans didn't have tachs. It was a wtf moment for me

They were Chryslers, so you could definitely hear them running.

The most "wtf, I thought it was standard equipment" was my '96 Pontiac Sunfire. I found out that it did not have a low fuel warning light. And according to the owner's manual, it was "normal" for the fuel gauge to be 1/4 tank off the actual level. I found this out after I ran out of gas, on a bridge, leaving work at 5 pm the day before Thanksgiving to pick up my son at daycare. Car was new to me and I was on my first tank of gas in that car.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
The other half of that is that many of the people in the article were at least middle aged or seniors, IIRC, which coupled with an engine that emits ~50 dB at idle, they did not notice it..
Age doesn't matter. Some vehicles are quieter than others but doesn't change the fact that anyone can be distracted and simply forget the engine's running. Habits die hard while new habits create new distractions like texting and calls while walking. We've all read news of crossing the street while on a cellphone against the red light when the idiot suddenly stops from a car almost running him/her over if it wasn't for a horn blast.

Driving any vehicle into a garage, closing the garage door with the engine running while entering the house and never considering whether the engine was shut off may describe creatures of habits except the old car has a regular ignition key that has to be turned off to remove it. Anyone can adjust to a new routine and simply forget they have to manually shut off the engine by pushing the START/STOP button. And there lies the danger, more so in an enclosed space. I can imagine the same thing can or already occurred in public parking lots, running out the car and never pushing the START/STOP button, leaving the engine running. Some of us are so disciplined and focused that we don't even try to look or listen for the engine sounds and assume we shut off the engine in our rush to get to the train station, shopping mall or store before it closes.....everyday distractions.

I drove a Dodge Journey with keyless ignition and had a situation when I had the key and somehow gave it to one of my nephews. Engine was already running, jumped in and drove about a mile or so to a rental store. As soon as I parked I realized I didn't have the key fob. I called to let my nephew know if I shut off the engine I wouldn't be able to startup. He and other family members came in my car (two vehicle outing) and we exchanged ignition keys. My guess is the Dodge doesn't have a range or timer to shut off the engine. It can be a hazard if a range setting disables the engine when the key fob isn't in the vicinity. There was a rush that day to return rental items and the Journey's SUV holds more than my car can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Had a neighbor had the same thing happen with a Toyota. Iím sure the dashboard must hound you that itís not in vehicle so at least youíd know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Every modern car I have owned (including the Saturn) gives you a warning (chime, bell, etc) if you leave the key in the ignition and open the door (whether the engine is running or not) Why wouldn't the manufacturers have a notification if you open the door that the motor is running?

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
Had a neighbor had the same thing happen with a Toyota. Iím sure the dashboard must hound you that itís not in vehicle so at least youíd know.
No warning, bells, whistles, dinging, alert icons, zilch. Since this was my first exposure to keyless starting with a push button to START and required push to STOP the engine, I was aware of this feature but was caught up in a timeline when I took the Journey for a quick drive to a store without the keyfob. My guess is my exposure to not having the keyfob in personal possession when I was driving away is probably repeated many times. Worse case scenarios like closed garages with the engine running resulting in carbon monoxide poisonings is a hard way to learn not to rely on electronics like many are doing with autonomous driving cars. The news article mentions an elderly man but further into the article mentions a woman's daughter dying from a similar incident, prompting my reply that age has no bearing on how easily anyone can forget to shut off their engine, inside a private garage or anywhere with keyless ignition systems. I drove one without possessing the keyfob. Luckily, my car and family were on an outing in two vehicles so not remembering to take the keyfob didn't cause harm. Thinking back on my short exposure to the new keyless ignition systems and how easy it is to forget to shut off the engine, the news had me thinking about stories not told yet of drivers walking away from their vehicles while its still running. The car manufacturers most likely warn owners of this but ask yourself who reads their owner's manual? After this news report, I'm probably going to peer into some cars when I visit a favorite park with a large parking lot. I've noticed when I walk by some vehicles, they're idling but a quick look shows a driver probably texting and taking a break. Other vehicles don't show drivers so I'm beginning to wonder if these are the ones with keyless ignition and people inadvertently left their engine idling after they leave. Near a major highway, it's a little noisy so a quiet engine won't make noise for anyone unaware of manually shutting off their engine - requiring pushing the START/STOP button since they can simply leave the car, with or without using their keyfob to lock the car.

Since the news makes little mention of car manufacturers incorporating a timer or warning indicator once a door is opened with an idling engine, this isn't the fault of manufacturers. When enough deaths are caused by repeated closed garages with idling engines from keyless ignition systems, with lawsuits attempting to blame manufacturers for driver ignorance, manufacturers may look into modifying software for a safety recall. This now becomes more nanny monitoring that many do not want but in the end who's at fault? My fault for not taking the keyfob was on me and hasn't occurred again where a simple distraction turned my attention elsewhere when I drove without the keyfob.

At the least, when the driver's door is opened and engine's idling on these keyless systems, maybe an annoying new noise attention getter will remind drivers to manually shut off their engines after parking and opening their door. Simple and effective. A flashing indicator too for the hard of hearing, whether flashing headlights and driving lights and/or flashing indicator in the instrument panel. More electronics, more sophistication. What should be a nice feature like keyless ignition may backfire on some with deadly results as reported.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!