SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
anderson95sl2
anderson95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Remote key less entry

We have a 1998 sl2. we have had it about 2 years. we do not have the remote
Recently the locks started clicking on there own. I have looked on this site and have seen where others have reprogrammed their remote and solved the problem.

Is there a way to disable the RKE to eliminate this?
I have looked but am unable to find the answer
Thanks in advance
Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anderson95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anderson95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anderson95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Remote key less entry

It wasn't programming the RKE, it was the door switch. Some have pulled a fuse, apparently, as a temporary stop (no personal experience)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158132

You can buy a remote control (RKE) fob off ebay for $20 or less, and program it yourself

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ghlight=remote

For a 1998, one of these numbers will work

16245100-29

AB01502T

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
anderson95sl2

I have pulled the relay and I can still here a clicking at the rear wheel well where the RKE is located.
Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anderson95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson95sl2 View Post
I have pulled the relay and I can still here a clicking at the rear wheel well where the RKE is located.
Kevin
Wait, I thought it was the locks themselves (in the door) that were clicking. If you pulled the relay, there should be no power.

So, you are hearing a clicking sound in the rear wheel well? Right side?

Try unplugging the RKE right at the module
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLf1cTmL1Wc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKE components.jpg (117.1 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
anderson95sl2

had to take battery out temporarily for another car. when reinstalled no more issues. if the RKE is unplugged at the wheel well, will that interfere with any thing else?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #6
sedativechunk
sedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura about

Just wanna say +1 on a broken lock/unlock button on one of the doors. I used to use mine constantly on the drivers door and press it damn hard like I was bashing an arcade game button in. Eventually it broke, would get stuck in either position makes the doors constantly lock/unlock.

Anything that you frequently use related to the doors, switches, locks, etc. could cause this issue. As for the FOB; not all Saturns had it. Mine does, and I ordered a switch on ebay many many years ago. Works great to this day, only the trunk doesn't always wanna open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson95sl2 View Post
had to take battery out temporarily for another car. when reinstalled no more issues. if the RKE is unplugged at the wheel well, will that interfere with any thing else?
It may depend - on how it was last programed, and whether you have anything else going on. Take a read here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183598

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203618

used fob with new 3 button case for $9.50 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-GM-Keyl...UAAOSwAata6kRP

$12 for four button case
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-W-OEM-F....c100005.m1851

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the clicking/chattering is coming from the door lock/unlock switch on the door panel, then you need to replace those switches. As cheap goes I have not seen anything cheaper designed than those lock switches. Instead of a spring to keep the toggle switch vertical, Saturn use a piece of foam. Sadly, this foam over time disintegrates and when it does it does not keep the toggle switch vertical and away from the contacts. The result of this is that the switch droops, makes contact with the contacts and you get chattering as the door is trying to open or close. It also drains the battery.

The ONLY solution is to replace those door lock switches. I have to do it on my son's 2002 SL2 as he was getting the chattering.

Luckily those switches are only about $20.00+/- to buy and easy to replace. Here's a video I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPaxeq4q8w

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote