SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2
Default 2nd gen led dash light question

I can't find the old 2nd gen dash thread, all the links are dead, and all my other searches came up empty.
It seems like I can just replace the lights in the instrument cluster with any wedge leds that fit, more or less. Is this true? 98 sw2 if it matters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2nd gen led dash light question

Yes and no. The base must be correct and do not replace the odometer bulb with an LED if you have the digital odometer.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154964

List of all bulb colors that have the BEST results and if you read to the end I list the bulb type from superbright that fits best and does not tear up the foil, high output T1.5 bulbs. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=136986&page=3

All you need to know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

So the analog odometer is ok to replace with an led?

Also I've been hunting for this information before and had no luck, thank you ^ .^

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, the mechanical odometer should function fine with an LED. The problem is the digital odometer has a solid state dimmer circuit that is always active and is also controlled electronically for a lights on dim condition and is not controlled by the dimmer bus. The LED does not draw sufficient current for it to function correctly and it eventually fails to either full 12v bright or zero. If you change al bulbs to LED you will have a lifetime supply of incandescent odo bulbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you change al bulbs to LED you will have a lifetime supply of incandescent odo bulbs.
lol, never thought of it that way

Don's bulbs is no longer active and Don retired, but I posted some info a while back on the difference between 73 and 74 incandescent bulbs from his site. Post 8, in this thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184447

The 74LL was rated at 500 design hours. Other sites show the same hours
http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewSI...1355/item.html

Quote:
Rated Average Life
500 hrs
I changed my odo bulb back in 6/2010 with a 74LL
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154888

Thought I would have to be changing the odo bulb again soon, but the bulb is still going strong after 7 years (conservatively estimated over 1,500 hours)

So yeah, at that rate . . . if I convert to LED on the SL2, that is definitely a lifetime supply

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

Just asking to be sure since I saw it was mentioned in the other thread, would the bulbs be the same for earlier gen2, like 96?

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

These bulbs work in Gen 1 and 2...

Comes with the bulb base/socket...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...panel-led/709/

You must remove the old bulb from the base, and reuse the base...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/228/

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomimi View Post
Just asking to be sure since I saw it was mentioned in the other thread, would the bulbs be the same for earlier gen2, like 96?
The T-1.5 or the PC74 in first link above will both work. Look at the base diagrams with dimensions on the Superbright site, the base interchanges. That T-1.5 specifies a bulb shape, or used to, now it is just diameter and length. The PC 73 or 74 specifies a base and a bulb shape, or used to. Then look at he beam angles and lumen intensity. Keep in mind that every single one of the white letter an general lights have a blue diffusion shield and only the 6000K white LEDs will work without hot spots and very low output.

Yes, either works in a 96.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I ended up buying incandescent bulbs from Amazon. It was cheap. Downside: what if they only last another 18 years?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
Grungi
Grungi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2007 AURA XR

I am replacing my gen2 IP bulbs too. Thank you for the on going discussion about this topic.

I ordered the colored PC74 leds as suggested in other threads. Odometer bulb will remain as incandescent. I may replace it with new while the IP is out.

I have to concern some so far. The red indicators (brake, battery, seatbelt, etc.) illuminate as expected using the red PC74 led but have a slight glow afterwards. I do not like the effect.

The gauge backlights seem to have soft spots using the white PC74 when inspecting the effects around sunset. If had to do it again, I may have chosen 74 led for the greater light pattern - 3 leds vs 1 led).

I had to replace the column switches because the hazards and the Hi beam contacts wouldn’t switch to verify the Hi Beam indictator turned on. The intermittent wipers were also more intermittent and would only turn off when the car was turned off the circuit dissipated regardless of setting. The wipers remained on whenever the car was turned right away. Spent an hour at Pick n Pull for parts. The connector to the turn signal switch was melted. Thankfully the car has been parked with the battery disconnected for a year.

I noticed the AC, recirc, and lighter indicator bulbs do not illuminate. More to come with that later.

'98 SL - 299k
'99 SL1 - 211k
'07 Aura XR - 121K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Grungi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Grungi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The t-1.5 and the PC 74 LEDs have different current characteristics and that is what causes that slight after glow. The hot spots are caused by a narrow beam angle go for the wide angle. The t1.5 only have an dim after glow on ABS and sometimes the battery light

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #13
Nigey
Nigey is a jewel in the roughNigey is a jewel in the roughNigey is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XE
2002 SL2

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but..... a quick question: I replaced my odometer bulb with an LED on my 2002 gen 3, and I seem to recall I read it came equipped with an LED -but it is a digital odometer. When I replaced it, I never really looked at the old bulb to see if it was LED or not.

Are gen 3 odometers OK to have LEDs?

2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Probably, there is a rather lengthy post regarding the gen-3 cluster, I would read that for confirmation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #15
Grungi
Grungi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2007 AURA XR

I had a chance to view the instrument panel at night for the first time. The soft areas are only visible during the day. Once I figure out how to upload the picture from a mobile device, I will post it. The car is on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC895F4A-059B-45F8-90E8-F1677372D2FF.jpg (85.2 KB, 22 views)

'98 SL - 299k
'99 SL1 - 211k
'07 Aura XR - 121K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Grungi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Grungi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

It's so pretty o .o <3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 AM   #17
Catch-TwentyTwo
Catch-TwentyTwo is a jewel in the roughCatch-TwentyTwo is a jewel in the roughCatch-TwentyTwo is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
These bulbs work in Gen 1 and 2...

Comes with the bulb base/socket...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...panel-led/709/

You must remove the old bulb from the base, and reuse the base...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/228/
Will they work in a 3rd gen 2002 SL2? I want to change the original lights to the blue LED's on that website. Also with the original lights, are the bulbs in color (red for the parking brake)or are they all white?

How many lights are needed of each type?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Catch-TwentyTwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Catch-TwentyTwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Catch-TwentyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #18
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-TwentyTwo View Post
Will they work in a 3rd gen 2002 SL2? I want to change the original lights to the blue LED's on that website. Also with the original lights, are the bulbs in color (red for the parking brake)or are they all white?

How many lights are needed of each type?
Uh... "The definitive guide to Gen3 S-series instrument cluster bulb replacement"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote