SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Default Getting ready to hop out of my Ion and into...

A new-to-me '15 Buick Verano Turbo; I pick it up tomorrow after work. My Ion's been a great car for more than 10 years - commuting, driving for pleasure, hauling items for work, schlepping co-workers home during snowstorms and it's helped me move three times. I enjoyed its exclusivity as a 2.4L with a manual and I will miss the plastic fenders and doors.

However, as recent repairs and parts availability have illustrated, the car's on borrowed time. It runs fine now but I wanted to sell/trade it while it still had some value and hopefully it will go to someone who has the time, knowledge and funds to keep it running.

I've wanted a Verano Turbo since 2013, when they debuted. Ideally, I wanted a stick shift in that too, but I've read more than one unflattering report on the F40 transmission and coupled with my commute, age and other factors, going automatic was the best choice this time. I'm very happy with the car I bought and can't wait to bring it home.

To keep my stick shift fix going, plan B is to start saving for either a '04-'06 Ion Redline or a '06-'07 coupe with the 2.4L and 5-speed manual as a second car for weekends/joy riding, etc. I've driven Saturn sedans since 1991, so it's way past time to try a coupe.

Until I buy that next Saturn, I'll become a more infrequent visitor to this site. I wanted to thank everyone on this board who has helped me diagnose issues with my Saturns through the years. This was the first chat site I joined and I think it is one of the best.

Tethys

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Getting ready to hop out of my Ion and into...

Hope you're enjoying the new ride! I miss my ION and all its quirks. I'm currently laying the groundwork to acquire a 50th anniversary Camaro. Gonna take some time to save up first, but I miss having a coupe.

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zosozeppelin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's engine size for this turbo? 4, 5, 6 speed auto? Expected mpg's?

I had the pleasure of driving an '09 Caddi CTSV 6-speed w/supercharger. Since it wasn't mine and I was permitted to test drive it locally (rural Pa.) before hitting the highway to home (partially as I wasn't interested in rowing gears in NYC traffic, I was impressed. I didn't try to open it up to feel the boost as it was an over cast day with light rain showers, negating any chances to really drive it. Being a little rusty with rowing gears, I was amazed not stalling the engine in first gear. I think it had a lot to do with something like 550 HP/500+ ft-lbs of torque that wouldn't let me stall.......... Nice car even though I don't care for Caddi's. Since I was informed this CTSV has a corvette engine and dual clutch system, other than a slightly heavy pedal and engagement near the top of pedal travel, it seemed to drive like any manual. I asked for another day at a local long closed large airport in NYC to try the engine/xmission at moderate acceleration with plenty of room to lose traction without anyone nearby or lamp posts suddenly appearing out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure I won't be trading up and may have the opportunity to borrow it once in a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

So far, I do enjoy my Verano. It's very quiet inside, it's full of firsts for me and it's quite quick. I have to remind myself I don't need a key to open the doors or to start the engine. The safety gadgets and electronic entertainment center were a bit overwhelming at first but I've adjusted.

Fdryer, it's the old LHU 2L turbo (250 hp/260 tq) mated to a six-speed automatic. Car's rated for 21 city/30 highway. So far, I'm averaging 25 mpg.

Maybe it's a whiff of nostalgia but I see and feel remnants of my grandparents' and mother's Buicks in my car; the slight transmission whine on deceleration, the smooth ride and the options.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote