SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
orbo
orbo is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Saturn sl1 2002 vibrate idle

Okay so i just bought my sarurn sl1 2002 (184k mi) on Saturday and i knew when i bought it that it would need some work (only spent a grand) but im puzzled. I replaced the spark plugs with ac delco copper (couldnt find ngk) the wires with bosch, the upper motor mount with solid aftermarket, lower motor mount with after market (i dont have the money right now for oem) cleaned the egr valve, replaced air filter, and did an oil change.

The problems im having is the car idles at 2000 rpm when cold and it goes down to 1000 after about ten seconds. Idk if that is normal. I havent had any misfires or negative differences in driving since i replaced all these things so i assume i did them right. The cars driver side mirror vibrates very noticable and so the the steering wheel when siting at a light or when i put in. Any gear besides neutral and park. I thought it was the lower mount but i guess not (same before and after replacement). I hear a rattleing under the car when i go into drive in which i assume it is the converter but i havent gone under to see if its loose. The two front tires and naked so i need to replace them soon. When i drive i can hear a loud sound coming from the front of the car (gets louder with speed) and it stays when the car is switched into neutral while going down hill and gets louder when i turn right (im assuming bearing on driver front). I want to check the o2 sensor and see if that is somehow causing high idle but im not sure. I dont have fancy tools. So i canr do bearing by myself but im hoping i can fix the other problems. The oil is in operating range, the trans fluid is pink and clean and wheere it should be, the person i bught it from used green coolant instead of dex so im going to flush it soon with one of those hose hookup kits from oreileys. Power steering is ok and i didnt see any problems with my break pads or the hubs.

Any advice would be nice. Im just trying to save money and get this car running better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
orbo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Saturn sl1 2002 vibrate idle

Welcome to the club!
When you mentioned the rattle upon starting off in drive, I think of the serpentine belt TENSIONER. The case may be cracked open and causing the noise.
It's not a bad type of repair at all.

I dealt with this last month and finally used the ACDelco tensioner, the part # is 21007465. The OEM tensioner from Amazon will fit ALL our cars and is $84.54 with free shipping.
I had made the mistake of using aftermarket tensioners and for 3 years I replaced that Autozone tensioner with another one from them because it was cheaper than OEM and came with a 1 year warranty, but never lasted on my car.
Only OEM will last consistently for years..... and put a new Dayco belt on it for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

On cold start, idle in the 1800 rpm range for a few seconds is normal. It will quickly settle down to around 1000 until the temperature gauge starts to move, at which point normal idle is around 800 rpm.

There are a total of 4 engine mounts. The upper mount, two dogbones (one at the passenger side end of the engine and one at the transaxle side) and a transmission mount. Sounds like you have done two out of the four. If strapped for funds, give priority to the transmission mount.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
orbo

2002 SL1

How do i know for sure the belt tensioner is bad (like is there a test or the way it looks when on) so im not spending money i dont have to yet. And for the mount one. Yes i only replaced the dogbone and top mount on passanger side but i didnt know the driver side had a lower mount. Is the tranmission mount what would cause the vibrating? And is it hard to replace.

Ps.
For the transmission mount, i cant find oem. Do you know a good oart number i can google?

Last edited by orbo; 06-26-2014 at 06:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

After driving for an hour or two following the spark-plug&wires replacement ...
remove each plug and examine for deposits. If one looks markedly different from others , that cylinder may be misfiring.

If a plug fouls, that cylinder misfires , and the engine vibrates.

My transmission mount ('97SW) was shot , but there was little/no vibration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
orbo

2002 SL1

What do you mean by foul? Like dirty or like burned?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orbo's Reputation
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
orbo

2002 SL1

Ok the spark plugs look fine but still trying to figure out posible problems with my car before i go and just buy parts that may not be the real problem. Ty for the replys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orbo's Reputation
Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

For the issue with the Belt Tensioner, an easy way to test it is to remove the Serp Belt, and then spin the Tensioner pully by hand. If the pully is rough to spin or tight or does not spin freely then it will need to be replaced.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^^ OR, if the case is cracking open as 3 of mine were.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
orbo

2002 SL1

If i buy a hub assembly to fix my bad wheel bearing problem, does it come put together and just need to be put on or do i still need a press and stuff?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orbo's Reputation