SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
flanclan
flanclan is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default 2002 VUE BCM Replacement

Hello all --

The BCM on our VUE is dying. Every time my wife successfully starts the vehicle takes one more start away from our quota of starts.

I was able to get the dash apart the other night fairly quickly (when the VUE wouldn't start,) and I was able to do everything except slide the BCM out of the dash. For some reason, I can't make it through that last step because I can't see where it's clipped/attached to its anchoring location. If anyone could give me a tip on how to get that thing out, I'd appreciate it. I was at least successful in getting the OEM part number off the unit, but that's as far as I got. Thoughts? Ideas?

BTW, I did get the vehicle to start (after more than an hour of futile attempts,) and it's running very well (until the next non-starting episode,) but I did order up another BCM so when it happens again, I'll be able to fix the problem instead of treating the symptom. This car needs to last us another 2-3 years, so dumping the VUE is not an option.

Thanks in advance for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flanclan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flanclan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2002 VUE BCM Replacement

Far2grumpy offered the attached - see if it helps . . .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - BCM Rplcmnt.pdf (64.5 KB, 54 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
flanclan

2003 VUE 2.2L

@Chazberry --

I did a search on the threads, and I came across that same diagram. It was helpful to get me to the unit itself. It's those last two tabs that I'm having problems wrapping my brain around. I poked and pried and lifted, but I can't quite see where those tabs are. I think they're where those two tracks are under the unit, but I can't figure how to pry those tabs loose without breaking the unit. I have a unit on order, so I might be able to see how they attach by inspecting the new unit.

I was hoping someone might have some experience in the safe removal/reinstall of the unit. I can use the "brute force" method, but that generally ends up with collateral damage. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/ima...ew/biggrin.gif

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help flanclan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanclan View Post
I can use the "brute force" method, but that generally ends up with collateral damage.
Looks like that's the ticket . . .
http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/4vj...aturn-vue.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
flanclan

2003 VUE 2.2L

Hmmm...I guess I wasn't using a big enough screwdriver then

Thanks for the tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Hmmm...I guess I wasn't using a big enough screwdriver then

Thanks for the tip.
I've played with BCM connectors while adding remote start but never tried to remove one of the silly things.

Just curious - how did you decide the BCM was reason for non-start condition?

We'll all become a little bit smarter based on advice and personal experiences added to forum.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
flanclan

2003 VUE 2.2L

Grumpy --

What first clued me in was the power locks. Their operation was getting very spotty for a few months, in fact, I originally thought it was a bad motor until I started researching the problem on the forum. That's when I read there was a possibility that it could be the BCM.

(Full disclosure: I actually own a 2003 VUE and not a 2002 VUE...once I made the post I didn't want to change it, because these vehicles are essentially the same)

About 2 weeks ago, my wife called me saying that the VUE won't start. The engine has had a couple of issues over the past few months where it felt like the engine was flooded, and wouldn't start; I figured it was that problem again.

I get to the VUE, and I can't get it to start for anything. I noticed, though, that when I turned the key to start the vehicle, the dashboard was dead. After fiddling around with it more (probably because it sat long enough) I was able to get the vehicle to start, but I had no dashboard, no poser locks, and no power steering. I reached for my handy smartphone, because this sounded eerily familiar to a few posts, and I confirmed these were all symptoms of a failing BCM.

The VUE starts and runs now, but I feel as if it's like a spin of the roulette wheel every time I turn that key.

I have a new BCM on order (They'll even program it with the right info,) and I'll swap it out once I get it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I have a new BCM on order (They'll even program it with the right info,) and I'll swap it out once I get it.
Would you mind sharing your source? I believe my BCM is also going south.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
flanclan

2003 VUE 2.2L

Chazberry --

No problem. I went through Auto ECM Warehouse. (www.autocomputerecm.com) Right now, they don't have one in stock for my VUE, but they are looking for one and they claim that they do have the ability to rebuild and reprogram BCM's. In fact they said they could rebuild/reprogram mine if need be.

I can let everyone know if they work out...the jury's still out until I have a good working order product in my vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I can let everyone know if they work out...the jury's still out until I have a good working order product in my vehicle.
Thanks a bunch - we will be standing by. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
flanclan

2003 VUE 2.2L

Update

The kind folks at the repair facility told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the BCM, so they only charged me $75.00 instead of the $160.00 repair charge. I just put it back into the VUE, and it started up as if it had been there the entire time. No issues with the dash, power steering or security system.

The power locks still don't work though with my fob. What's worrisome, though , is that it appears the VUE doesn't recognize the fob. I'm thinking I should try to do a re-program to sync the fob to the VUE and see if that does anything. My wife's fob is somewhere around the house (she didn't want to carry it on her keychain because the locks weren't working, and it was too heavy) so I can't test hers.

I am REALLY frustrated right now, because the VUE has been sitting around the house for a week, and I'm still no closer to the root of the problem.

Any ideas?

Down to one Saturn now...had a '94 SL1 and a '97 SC2...graduated to a Subaru Impreza

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Update

The kind folks at the repair facility told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the BCM, so they only charged me $75.00 instead of the $160.00 repair charge. I just put it back into the VUE, and it started up as if it had been there the entire time. No issues with the dash, power steering or security system.

The power locks still don't work though with my fob. What's worrisome, though , is that it appears the VUE doesn't recognize the fob. I'm thinking I should try to do a re-program to sync the fob to the VUE and see if that does anything. My wife's fob is somewhere around the house (she didn't want to carry it on her keychain because the locks weren't working, and it was too heavy) so I can't test hers.

I am REALLY frustrated right now, because the VUE has been sitting around the house for a week, and I'm still no closer to the root of the problem.

Any ideas?
The following probably does not pertain to flaky keyless entry fobs.

Next time you encounter dead-dash and crank but no start - pop cover to access the center I/P fuse/relay box. Go to fuse in upper right corner (IGN1) and wiggle the little dude.

I had a similar problem on my 05 Vue - happened once or twice a year - but I lucked-out by finding a bad connection on back side of I/P fuse box.

I have photo's and dis-assembly instructions if you determine your problem is in same general area.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
flanclan

2003 VUE 2.2L

Grumpy --

I'll go ahead and try that...since I have to go rescue her right now...car is about 45 miles from here, and it only seems to not start when it's out of the local area.

Is there the possibility that it might not be the BCM? Could it be there's a bad ground somewhere?

Down to one Saturn now...had a '94 SL1 and a '97 SC2...graduated to a Subaru Impreza

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Grumpy --

I'll go ahead and try that...since I have to go rescue her right now...car is about 45 miles from here, and it only seems to not start when it's out of the local area.

Is there the possibility that it might not be the BCM? Could it be there's a bad ground somewhere?
The BCM is minimally involved after engine starts and runs.

It monitors voltage created when you turn ignition key to crank (start) and if voltage matches Passlock threshold stored in BCM it'll send OK to ECM to enable fuel injectors.

If Passlock voltage fails - you could get start and run for a few seconds - until fuel pressure in fuel system drops below minimum required. However, the SECURITY icon should blink - (or possibly remain on steady) indicating ignition cylinder was rotated by something other than correct key.

If Security light is not on, or all IPC dash lighting is missing, or you don't hear fuel pump whine at key on - you could be looking at many things.

My prime suspects for intermittent start in order would be:

Red battery lead from positive terminal to input of under-hood fuse block (UHFB) ... this wire provides power to fuel and ignition but will let starter grind all day even if defective (on 3.0 and 2.2).

An intermittent ignition switch (not the rotatable cylinder - switch hangs on back side of cylinder).

Or, a flaky wiring connection between ignition switch and either UHFB or I/P fuse panel. I'll round up the I/P data previously mentioned and email.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!