SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
JaeMarie
JaeMarie is on a distinguished road

Default MT fluid for 2000 SL2?

Hey all,
Does anyone know what type of gear oil the manual takes for a 2000 SL2?

Capacity, weight, GL4/5? I don't have the service manual.
Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JaeMarie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JaeMarie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JaeMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: MT fluid for 2000 SL2?

Automatic tranmission Fluid.

I use Mobil 1 ATF. Old nuc has liked another type....crap I forget the name of it haha

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
JaeMarie

Seriously? The manual tranny uses ATF? Wierd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JaeMarie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Amsoil Torque-Drive or Allison/Castrol Transynd. Both are in teh $40.00/gal range but you only have to change it once. You get the Amsoil from your local Amsoil dealer and the Transynd from the truck stop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Yep, DO NOT put gear oil in it. ON uses Amsoil Torque-Drive which is originally spec'd for heavy duty Allison transmissions.

Edit: He even beat me to it

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
JaeMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Amsoil Torque-Drive or Allison/Castrol Transynd. Both are in teh $40.00/gal range but you only have to change it once. You get the Amsoil from your local Amsoil dealer and the Transynd from the truck stop.
thanks, I was about to place an amsoil order so figured I'd ask.
How much do I need? (capacity?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeMarie View Post
thanks, I was about to place an amsoil order so figured I'd ask.
How much do I need? (capacity?)
The manual trans should only take 2.5L and I believe it says on the dipstick (but it will say in the owners manual for sure) I'm pretty sure the smallest quantity of torque-drive you can buy is 1 gallon or 3.79L. You can use the extra torque-drive in the power steering pump (remove as much old P/S fluid as possible from the reservoir with a turkey baster )

1995 Aquamarine SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
JaeMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
I'm pretty sure the smallest quantity of torque-drive you can buy is 1 gallon
you are correct:
h t tp://w w w.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx

guess I'll just hit the store for good ATF. Thanks guys, you rock!
Car's still running strong although it's burning/using more and more engine oil as it gets older. But, we're planning on keeping it till the bitter end so I'm trying to replace as many of the fluids as possible.
Last month I was forced to replace all of the dexcool when the radiator bit the dust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
you are correct:
h t tp://w w w.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx

guess I'll just hit the store for good ATF. Thanks guys, you rock!
Car's still running strong although it's burning/using more and more engine oil as it gets older. But, we're planning on keeping it till the bitter end so I'm trying to replace as many of the fluids as possible.
Last month I was forced to replace all of the dexcool when the radiator bit the dust.
MAKE SURE it is Dexron III ONLY. The newer Dexrons' (they are on VI I think) have a LOWER viscosity than Dex III and they will cause shifting issues when warm. Your best bet is to find some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF because that still meets Dex III's viscosity rating and hardly any (if any at all) "dino oil" based ATF is Dex III only.

1995 Aquamarine SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Seriously? The manual tranny uses ATF? Wierd.
The last five vehicles my wife and I have owned, going back 20 years, all manuals, take ATF. Three Fords, a Saturn and a Mitsubishi. I wonder what anymore, besides differentials in RWD/4x4 vehicles, uses 80wXXX gear oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
JaeMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The last five vehicles my wife and I have owned, going back 20 years, all manuals, take ATF. Three Fords, a Saturn and a Mitsubishi. I wonder what anymore, besides differentials in RWD/4x4 vehicles, uses 80wXXX gear oil.
it's the odd man out @ our house.

suzuki SX4 takes 75W-90 Gl4 gear oil, both toyota mr2's take GL-4 or 5 75W-90 or 80W-90. out of 4 cars, the saturn's the only one that takes ATF.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Buy the gallon of Torque - Drive and you can use the leftover in the power steering. You remove the existing oil in the reservoir and refill, drive for a week and repeat 3 or 4 more times. Beats pulling lines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

2.5 quarts? Crap. I think mine just took 3-4
(goes to check stupidly placed dipstick under ABS module...)

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
suzuki SX4 takes 75W-90 Gl4 gear oil, both toyota mr2's take GL-4 or 5 75W-90 or 80W-90. out of 4 cars, the saturn's the only one that takes ATF.
Guessing the SX4 is AWD or 4WD? and the MR2s are RWD, and madpogue suggested these are what typically use the gear oils

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The type of oil required is determined by the cut of the gears. The gear oils are about the same viscosity as the other oils at operating temperature. The GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils will remove the clutch material from the synchronizers though. That is the very big reason to not use any GL classified oil in a Saturn transmission. Also avoid the GL-1 spec gear oils as they have no additives at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils will remove the clutch material from the synchronizers though. That is the very big reason to not use any GL classified oil in a Saturn transmission..

"Our most popular and versatile ATF, D4 is suitable for use where Dexron III, Dexron II, or Mercon fluids are recommended. D4 ATF is a fully-synthetic product designed to satisfy the improved low-temperature requirements which will be in the new Dexron IV specification, and the improved shear-stability requirements which will be part of the new Mercon specifications.

D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles "

I hope that doesn't apply to the D4 because I just ordered it. Hopefully you can confirm this before I install the fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

A "GL-4 level of protection" is not a GL-4 specification lubricant. They are making an oblique reference to the high film strength of a synthetic lubricant. Royal Purple is a 100% PAO synthetic oil. The D4 will be a good synthetic direct replacement for the plain ATF. If that does not prove satisfactory performance ther are other lubes from other sources that just might.

Of course its all just oil and use what ever you want as its all the same. /SNARK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!