SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
jslaymon
jslaymon is on a distinguished road

Default Power Steering Comes & Goes

I have a 2005 ION. The power steering light came on and the power steering went out. Go tto my destination and checked the fuse which was ok. Started car back up and power steering was working. Driving home it went out again, but came back while driving. Any ideas or thoughts? Not familiar with electric power steering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jslaymon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jslaymon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jslaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
jslaymon

Default Re: Power Steering Comes & Goes

So, do any of you know about reparing the EPS? I've been told that it is probably a control board in the steering column and the entire column must be replaced at a cost of at least $800. Any ideas if this is true or can the controil board be replaced by itself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jslaymon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the ones that fail fail from the control board or motor going, so to avoid yo ending up with the other going bad, they don't produce the seperate parts, so for now at least, the whole column needs to be replaced.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
jslaymon

I would think it would be the board over the motor. If the motor was bad, I doubt that I would have any power steering. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

my point was both are failure prone, the motor overheats and trips the temp sensor, either way, good luck

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
my point was both are failure prone, the motor overheats and trips the temp sensor, either way, good luck
Figured I'd bring this thread back.

Decided to "top off", Recharge/Check, my 6/7 year old Battery today. So I started it (worked fine after 4 days in single digits +/- Zero) it "Topped off" in just a few minutes and several Alternator checks using a "Smart Charger" suggested everything is A-OK.

Went to back the vehicle out of the Garage (where I moved it to to do the chargind since it was -2F and windy outside) and my Power Steering was not active... Figured I might have blown the PS fuse(s), but as I had properly connected to the POS Jump Terminal and used the nearby Strut Bolt/Nut as a Ground I figured that wouldn't have been it. After some experimenting in the driveway the PS came back...

So based on this thread I'm wondering if I might be in for a "failure prone" PS system or if this is more likely a combo of the COLD,my "top off" charging, and maybe some other unseen issue(s)...

Any "testing" that one can proactively do as a preventive measure to see that the PS system is A-OK? I'm thinking my Battery can make another season so I'll save the near $100 and put it toward a possible future PS repair or testing...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

are you saying you jumpered the EPS to the terminals under the hood? checking the fuse would have been easier and just as effective, not to mention not potentially devistating to the EPS. Also, did you do this before or after you noticed the failure? cold does not affect the EPS, I've had mine in down to -23 degrees and it worked fine, also removing the battery would not cause this, either, only the things I've previously mentioned

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
are you saying you jumpered the EPS to the terminals under the hood? checking the fuse would have been easier and just as effective, not to mention not potentially devistating to the EPS. Also, did you do this before or after you noticed the failure? cold does not affect the EPS, I've had mine in down to -23 degrees and it worked fine, also removing the battery would not cause this, either, only the things I've previously mentioned
I reread my post and I think it's fairly clear... My EPS (Electric Power Steering) stopped working for a few moments AFTER I'd performed some battery Preventive Maintenance (using the under hood POSITIVE Jump Terminal AND grounded to the Strut Bolt/Nut and NOT the Negative Terminal of the Fuse Block (which as I understand it would risked blowing the PS Fuse...)).

Reading your post it seems to suggest I might have "bypassed" the PS fuse or something... (like shoving a Penny in a Fuse Socket) I did nothing like that... just noticed it not working and was concerned it was caused by something I was doing.

I've been to town today and my EPS appeared to work just fine... I haven't checked my PS fuse(s) yet... but that probably wouldn't be a bad idea... if it's weak (partially fused) or loose I suspect it might have caused the temporary failure...

Good to know cold weather shouldn't be an issue with the EPS... I've used my ION in temps below -10 without issues (other then a "weaker" startup).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

"Went to back the vehicle out of the Garage (where I moved it to to do the chargind since it was -2F and windy outside) and my Power Steering was not active... Figured I might have blown the PS fuse(s), but as I had properly connected to the POS Jump Terminal and used the nearby Strut Bolt/Nut as a Ground I figured that wouldn't have been it. After some experimenting in the driveway the PS came back..."

that's exactly what I got from it, and you wouldn't be the first person on here who tried to re-engineer the electrical system on one of these cars, so I was just making sure. If the EPS control module is going bad, it could fail quite intermittently, and I doubt your motor is over heating since it happened after your car sat a while. you might get lucky and this may never happen again, but plan on needing to replace your steering column soon.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
"After some experimenting in the driveway the PS came back..."

that's exactly what I got from it, and you wouldn't be the first person on here who tried to re-engineer the electrical system on one of these cars, so I was just making sure. If the EPS control module is going bad, it could fail quite intermittently, and I doubt your motor is over heating since it happened after your car sat a while. you might get lucky and this may never happen again, but plan on needing to replace your steering column soon.
Dang words come back to haunt me!

That "experimenting" left plenty to the imagining... when it was simply me fighting my steering wheel to turn left/right while moving back and forth. It only took a few moments and it "kicked in"...

Might just talk it over with my Saturn Dealership next time I'm near and see what they think... Probably think I was "experimenting" with the Fuse Block, but they might also have some clues to what might be happening and have a steering column ready and waiting for me... Just outside my Extended Warranty too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

definitely choose your words well, IMO, your column is going, it's just a matter of time, but hopefully you get lucky and don't have to replace it for a while.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
definitely choose your words well, IMO, your column is going, it's just a matter of time, but hopefully you get lucky and don't have to replace it for a while.
Had my Dash pulled about 4 year ago (had jammed Vent Doors, and squeaky fan fixed). They had some cowling they didn't replace properly after that and they had to fix (sounded like a Window was open in the dash)... Any thoughts on if they might have loosened or screwed up the steering column with that operation?

Regardless I'll talk it over with Saturn see what I may need to expect now that I'm outside my warranty. ("Well you see EVERYTHING is bad on your ION now... how about a new Saturn?! We've got a ton of them to choose from...")

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, when the power steering fails, it only seems to fail in the two manners I've mentioned, it's all contained in the steering column, so it's all pretty hard to mess up on accident.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

Did an error come up on the DIC? If not, it is not your motor/board.

Word!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

there's this thing called reading, you should try it some time. if you read the original post, you would see that the power steering error came up

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
there's this thing called reading, you should try it some time. if you read the original post, you would see that the power steering error came up
Its called a rhetorical question jack*****.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #17
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBone View Post
Did an error come up on the DIC? If not, it is not your motor/board.

Word!
So to bring this back on topic. In my case were the PS went out (for a brief moment) without a light could mean it was just a fluke and not foreshadowing a future failure?

Or it could be and just isn't noticed by the system yet...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

cars chech things at intervals, if the EPS goes out for less than that interval, it wouldn't see the problem.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Well that "interval" was longer then just a moment... The vehicle did do it's usual light "test" and I did get to "play around" in the driveway for what I'd think is a significant time before the PS came back... Of coarse if it only did a check every minute or so... then next time I might just stop (Good Idea when ever your Power Steering is out and you are going to hit the road) and give the system a minute or two to "test" the system before trying to "drive it out".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!