SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
jacobsstcg
jacobsstcg is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Buy Aura XR or MazdaSpeed6 GT

Hey Everyone. I am looking at retiring my 94 SL2 and getting something new and I think I have decided on getting either a Aura XR or a MazdaSpeed6 Grand Touring. I test drove a Aura XE and it just seemed lack luster performance wise, which is to bad because I liked the price. My 2 current Saturns have been rock solid and I have never had any problems with them, which is one of the biggest reasons I am looking so hard at the XR. Plus the Saturn is built in the US which is a huge plus for me. But the MazdaSpeed6 has the AWD and more power which is really noticeable when compared against the XR because of the 300 pound weight advantage the Mazda has. The Mazda steering and traction felt tighter also when compared to the XR. My wife also thought the Mazda's rear seats have better support and felt overall a little more comfortable, which isn't huge but is something. On the minus side the Mazda does take premium fuel, you can't fold down the back seats, and I have heard of some cars having problems with the Turbo unit. Anyways I trust the opinions of the members of this forum so I wanted to get everyones opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacobsstcg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacobsstcg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacobsstcg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Buy Aura XR or MazdaSpeed6 GT

SOunds like your looking for a bit more performance than the XE can provide.
The Mazda does handle better than the XE and probably the XR on the OEM tires.
If you want better acceleration than the XE or Mazda you have to go for the XR.
It is capable of 0-60 in 6.0 (one magazine got 5.9 ). The 6 speed lets you find and use the right gear when your having fun on mountain roads and can get you (me) 30 MPG on the freeway @ 80 MPH. Your mileage may very.

I think to get the handling to come close to the Mazda6 you only have to change the tires to something like the Goodyear F1's of other HI-Perf tire.

I love my XR, in case you were in doubt, because of the reasons I mentioned and the fact that the DIC says I am getting over 14000 miles between oil changes.
Oh, Check out the factory rebates. I looked a few days ago and you could get $2500 off for the Saturn Aura V-6's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

ms6=awd turbo. end of story.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
freelancer
freelancer is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

So, lets see if your comparing Apples to Apples.

07 MAZDASPEED6 vs. 08 Saturn Aura XR

Price alone says no. The MAZDASPEED6 is 6k more.
Drive train says no. The MAZDASPEED6 is AWD & Manual

I looked at the SPEED6. I loved it, but for the money they wanted for it vs. what I paid for the Aura I had to take a pass (I do get an employee discount from GM) Is the Mazda dealer offering you a fantastic deal on the SPEED6? Cuz if they are take it.

08 Aura Carbon Flash/Black Leather XR
05 Pontiac GTO YellowJacket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freelancer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freelancer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
SATURNSTPAUL
SATURNSTPAUL is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

I love love the Aura XR. But... I am secretly a Mazda freak, owned a few in my day. all I have to say, looks, AWD, 276hp 280tq DISI engine, 6 speed manual, no contest. As far as reliability, I think most of the bugs where worked out in 07. I have heard of the turbo seals going out, and a loose bolt in the rear diff. Other than that, its been pretty solid. And from what I have heard, dealers are giving those things away. I had a buddy pick one up for around 22k. Which is about the base price of a 4cyl Aura. Just my 2cents, cause I enjoy the XR very much, im just more of a enthusiest.

2002 Honda S2000 (summer car)
2002 Saturn SL Sport (daily grind)
1999 Saturn SL1 154k miles SOLD
2002 Nissan Maxima SE SOLD
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege SOLD
1993 Ford Probe GT SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNSTPAUL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNSTPAUL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SATURNSTPAUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
jacobsstcg

2007 AURA XR
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The Aura XR I am looking at is a '07 for $26,995 with 0% APR. The MS6 GT with pretty much that exact same options (no onstar/nav) is going for $30,320 with $4,000 cash back and a 3.9$ APR, so the Aura is a little cheaper but not by much. No doubt the Aura has some definite pros on its side like the extra rear seat/trunk space, onstar and the tried and true reliability. But the AWD seems like it could be worth the extra money and all though I have never owned a Mazda the people who I know that do seem to speak highly of the build / mechanical quality. Tough call, at least for me at this point. It is always nice to have other opinions though so I appreciate the feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacobsstcg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
cisco0623
cisco0623 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Tough call. I was also looking at these two cars as well, but was able to get the XR for much cheaper due to GM employee discount.

You do not get any snow in Fresno, so AWD is less of a necessity. - just a luxury. FWD will be fine. The Mazda may be more fun, but it would depend on your situation. (kids, kids in near future? etc)

Based on the numbers you gave me your monthly payment will be similar for the two cars and I think insurance will be close as well.

Aside the financial benefits, the interior of the Aura really hit me where as the Mazda had a more plain cheaper feel to it, but thats just my opinion. I know that 0% apr is nice! I think you would be happy with either car. Def. test drive each one and let us know how it goes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cisco0623's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cisco0623 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cisco0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
ms6=awd turbo. end of story.
I don't get it, but I am an old man.
The Speed6 is slower than the Aura XR, gets worse MPG than the Aura and costs a lot more. If it's a Turbo 4 sedan you want, the Subaru Legacy GT spec.B is even quicker (0-60 in 5.7, 1/4 mile in 14.1 @96MPH) and gets better MPG (20/26) than the Speed6.

I appreciate and respect your opinion, but I don't agree that it is "end of story"

Now bring up a turbo 4 four door sedan that gets over 30 MPG, does 0-60 in under 5.7sec and cost under $25000, then I'll agree with "end of story"

I love Turbo 4's and v6's and really appreciate what they bring to the game, but I don't think it is what Jacob was considering here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
cisco0623

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
The Speed6 is slower than the Aura XR, gets worse MPG than the Aura and costs a lot more. If it's a Turbo 4 sedan you want, the Subaru Legacy GT spec.B is even quicker (0-60 in 5.7, 1/4 mile in 14.1 @96MPH) and gets better MPG (20/26) than the Speed6.
Its funny you bring that up! These are the exact cars I was looking at (well the Accord as well - it was between an 07 Loaded V6 Accord or the XR as I broke it down) but the Spec.B is the car I really wanted. Its just that it goes for $35k. Over 10k more than the XR can be had for. I couldn't justify it.

And now that you mention it I do believe the XR may be faster than the Speed 6 based on the specs and numbers I see on the net although I have never opened up a Speed6 nor have I really even had the chance to do it to my XR (But I will once the weather permits!) But seeing that the XR is faster than the Mazda, its really about what car you like better, and which one is the better/cheaper deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cisco0623 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Well, the Aura XR is an up-level Euro-quasi-luxury sedan while the MazdaSpeed 6 is a factory tuned performance car. They don't compare, really. One is comfortable, roomy and has enough power and features to not be an embarassment to its owner, the other is a high strung, stiff riding performance sedan built to go faster than most sedans do. I'd buy the Aura, the Mazda is too extroverted, swoopy, spoilery 'boy racer' and it won't look near as fresh a year from now as the understated, stylish Aura will.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Reading between the lines, you want the MazdaSpeed6 GT. Go for it - there cannot be a valid comparison between the XR the MazdaSpeed6 as they are two different cars built for different appeals. The XR won't get you there as quicklly as the MazdaSpeed6 GT (although its not slow by any means) but it will get you there more comfortably. You can't have both (at least, not at that price range).

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

This is how opinions come into play when someone asks for one. All replies are really good. We could even bring a few more cars into the discussion, but what has been brought to the table and the viewpoints do a great job for the discussion.
I will admit that my preferences differ from a lot of others because of who I am and my background.
I have raced cars on tracks and roads. I have built cars for racing and for fun (see avatar). They all have their place. I have an XR because it is very comfortable to drive for long periods (10 hours or more) and it is great fun in the stop light Grand Prix we have down here in the SoCal desert. I come up to signal lights next to every imaginable mega dollar sports car/sedan.
When one of these 60-70K dollar cars decides to beat me to the next light I know I can come close to matching them for a fraction of the cost
I live in a country club where my max speed is 25 so I don't need anything, inside the park faster than my golf cart.

For me. the styling and luxury (nearly) ride was important. My background says I must have a very quick car. and I haven't worked in 6 years so I need an economical car. The Aura XR (previously owned) hit all the marks for me and my wife.

Now you understand why my opinions are what they are.

Good luck and enjoy what ever you buy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post

I appreciate and respect your opinion, but I don't agree that it is "end of story"

Now bring up a turbo 4 four door sedan that gets over 30 MPG, does 0-60 in under 5.7sec and cost under $25000, then I'll agree with "end of story"

I love Turbo 4's and v6's and really appreciate what they bring to the game, but I don't think it is what Jacob was considering here.
My mechanic always says, AWD means more parts to break. If you don't care about the cost to repair if/when it breaks, then it doesn't matter. I say "when" because everything eventually breaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffmaloney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffmaloney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmaloney View Post
My mechanic always says, AWD means more parts to break. If you don't care about the cost to repair if/when it breaks, then it doesn't matter. I say "when" because everything eventually breaks.
Thats exactly what I was thinking about the turbo. Your current car is 14 years old. How long do you plan to keep this one?

Hambone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

My 2 cents:

The Aura (and far too many other cars, for that matter) doesn't offer a manual trans. That is a deal-breaker for me, it may or may not be a factor for you. Also, I think the Mazda 6 (non-Mazdaspeed) is one of the most beautiful cars built today. The Speed6 is (to my eyes)a far less successful iteration due to it's hood bulge, grille, etc. Also it would potentially be more reliable, but not as fast. As stated earlier by SteelerXR, it sounds like you really want the Mazda, so if you can afford it I say get it.

Oh, yeah and the AWD is a great performance enhancer on dry or rainy roads so the post about you not needing it doesn't hold water with me. Lastly, we have seen a bunch of Auras, Outlooks, Relays and VUEs with numerous electrical gremlins so GM seems to be having the negative impact on Saturn's build quality we feared would happen.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
jacobsstcg

2007 AURA XR
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Wow, I was at work all day and didn't keep an eye on the thread and when I got back home and read all the great posts I was blown away. SteelerXR's perception is right on. At the time of the post I was deffinitely leaning towards the MS6. I just got back from the Satty dealership and test drove a XR with black leather (vs grey) and it just felt a lot more luxorious. So the dilema continues. The 0% APR deal on the XR ends on Friday so I've got to figure out something fairly quickly. I'll keep you posted on how it ends up. Thanks everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #17
cisco0623

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
My 2 cents:

Oh, yeah and the AWD is a great performance enhancer on dry or rainy roads so the post about you not needing it doesn't hold water with me. Lastly, we have seen a bunch of Auras, Outlooks, Relays and VUEs with numerous electrical gremlins so GM seems to be having the negative impact on Saturn's build quality we feared would happen.

Good luck!
Great performance enhancer? What is the typical driver going to be doing on these roads that he will need AWD as compared to FWD or RWD? Especially in Fresno's climate? I have never had an issue in rain or snow with a FWD car. RWD can be bad in snow, but for dry or rain - again I have never had a problem. Putting on a good set of rubbers makes the most difference in bad weather.

Yes, I know AWD has benefits over FWD or RWD, but the benefits of AWD you speak about are not going to be seen in a $30k Speed6, they are going to be seen in a Porsche. Even then world class performance machines use RWD as well. (Porsche GT2 for example - their highest performance car) I think at the classes of cars hes looking at, and the fact he lives in a climate where snow is NOT a factor why not save and skip AWD? At least in the XR you can try to do a front wheel spin out

The manual vs auto depends on the driver. I prefer stick - its fun. But in daily traffic.... I have no complaints with the XR and its auto . I've been stuck in 3 hours of bumper to bumper with a stick as well. I'm indifferent to it because it doesn't phase me, but my left calf sure appreciates it. The XR was just a better deal when I needed to buy, but I def don't regret it over the Speed6.
Jacog needs to decide which car is more for him!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #18
jacobsstcg

2007 AURA XR
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You know I have been thinking of the '07 XR that I have been looking at and the dealer is really trying to get us to buy before Friday so we can get the 0% APR. That made a lot of sense to me, but I was just thinking what in the world are they going to do with these cars if they don't sell them with the 0% APR by Friday? It seems like to me they would have to do some pretty deep discounts on them otherwise they would just sit in the show room while everyone buys the '08 models. Does anyone have any experience or inside knowledge of this, or do you think 0% APR and $26,695 for a leather XR with sunroof is as low as it goes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #19
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Well, Saturn is offering a 2500 dollar cash incentive on 2008 Aura V-6's right now, or 3.9%.
Also offering $3000 of on remaining 07 Aura's or 0%
Are you sure the 0% is the best deal? What would the interest be if you took the cash offer?
See offers at
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/tools/offers.jsp?current=2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 AM   #20
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

To the OP, I dont see how you ended up choosing between vehicles that are just so, so different. In my opinion, it's a recipe for dissatisfaction no matter which car you settle on. Choose the Aura and you just wish you could hear the whine of the turbo, and the "ppppfffft" of the blow-off valve while fighting off the torque steer. Buy the Mazda and you just may wish you would have spoiled yourself a bit with with a ride in the lap of luxury. If you road-tested the Aura , you KNOW what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
Lastly, we have seen a bunch of Auras, Outlooks, Relays and VUEs with numerous electrical gremlins so GM seems to be having the negative impact on Saturn's build quality we feared would happen.
Gimmie a break! This statement is just total BS.
"Electrical Gremlins" ?? LOL
You obviously dont know what you are talking about. The Mazda's have a LOT more electrical problems than anything Saturn (or GM) produces.
Go visit THEIR forums if you dont believe me.
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote