SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default extended warranty??

I just got a mailing from an extended warranty company promoting their product.
I am not huge fan of these as they rarely make financial sense, but as I have an 003 Vue with the famous VTI, I was interested.
After a few minutes on Google, I discovered it was from a company called Ultimate Warranty Corporation from Rocky River, OH.
A few extra minutes uncovered lot of unhappy customers.

Has anybody had any experience with this company?

Is there a good extended warranty company out there?

This letter caused me to think that a little money invested before I hit 75,000 miles might have a good payoff in the end.

Thoughts, ideas?

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: extended warranty??

there are thousand of these companies and many are crap. if you want a warranty buy the real thing. saturn service plan or general motors protection plan (gmpp).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
slasky
slasky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
there are thousand of these companies and many are crap. if you want a warranty buy the real thing. saturn service plan or general motors protection plan (gmpp).
+ 100000

My father was a service manager for 30+ years. He says to never buy any extended warranty except a factory one. The after market ones rarely pay for anything or make you wait until they come down to inspect the parts. He said most of them end up folding before the end of your contract.

I went with the Saturn one when I bought my wife's vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slasky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slasky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Here's a little advice: DO NOT, EVER BUY A THIRD PARTY AUTOMOBILE WARRANTY!

They are not worth the paper their contract is printed on. The only warranties that should be purchased are from the manufacurer. The VTi VUE's had their facorty warranty extended by GM. If GM won't offer you additional warranty for it at a price, do not buy another one and unload the vehicle before the warranty is up.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: extended warranty??

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/askdav...ContentId=8256

Good info there about the EW industry.
Remember, you are getting an EW from someone who plans to stay in business, so after they pay out commissions/taxes/advertising ... then what is left goes into an insurance-style fund.
In the long run, the EW company will collect more than they pay out in repairs ... or they go out of business.
You'd be better off keeping a better-funded emergency fund, unless you don't have the discipline to keep cash in reserve.

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post

They are not worth the paper their contract is printed on. The only warranties that should be purchased are from the manufacurer. The VTi VUE's had their facorty warranty extended by GM. If GM won't offer you additional warranty for it at a price, do not buy another one and unload the vehicle before the warranty is up.
Depends - I've had several InterContinental Warranty Corporation warranties and they have been great. Even the local Honda stealership sells a third party one (of course they neglect to tell you that it is but the profit is much better for them). They cover the same stuff as a HondaCare or GM warranty for less money and they pay for the repairs with their credit card. When I had my LSS a few years back, two window regulators at $180 a pop and it cost me nothing. My local mechanic did the job too - didn't have to go to a stealer to get it done. The ICW is sold through my credit union & it is a government employee credit union with a lot of customers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

all dealers have aftermarket warrantys to sell along with the real thing. finance departments are run by the reps from these warrantry companies. some are bad and some are ok but after 27 years in the car business i feel i can safely saw NO thats right NO aftermarket warranty can comepare to the real thing. when you buy a gm or saturnn waranty they want you to be happy and buy another new car. abc waranty company doesnt care what car you buy next time and only wants to make a profit from the warranty they sold. they are not part of the car company

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post

They are not worth the paper their contract is printed on.
I had a third-party warranty on the wagon, and used it on two occasions for three different repairs that, at the time, would have cost WAY more than the $100 deductible. 'Course, I still wouldn't have bought it. Thanks to a ph@ck-up by another salesman in the showroom at the time I bought it, I got it free.

I wouldn't spend money on one now, just on principle. I forgot to renew our lising on the Wisconsin "no-call" list (we passed a state law before the feds did), and so now we get the occasional telemarketer call. The majority of them are from these warranty companies, trying to sell me an extended warranty on a 12-year-old Saturn (at least I hope they're not trying to sell one for the 25-year-old F150 [or the 32-year-old non-running D-100]). They're the only telemarketers who leave messages on my voice mail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

I am not a fan at all of EW and have never bought one before.
Dealers mark them up a ton for a huge profit.
Most aftermarket companies are fly-by-night with a ton of strings.

My thought was is there any legit firms that a small investment would protect me when/if my VTI finally dies?

Will Saturn sell or extend upon the 75,000 mile VTI warranty?

Any updates on a recall, etc.....

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i work in the car business and have bought a factory extend service contract on every car ive owned since 1990. cars are not cheap to fix even if you work there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!