SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
havok
havok is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Saturn Vue Greenline AC

This questions pertains to my 2007 Vue Greenline with 170,000 miles.

So, living in Vermont, I very rarely use my AC ... turn it on once in a while to keep it lubricated, etc.

With the weather in Vermont the last week or so, (100 and humid) I've been running the AC a fair amount ... sometimes with the recirc on, sometimes fresh air. All has been working fine and the AC has been appropriately cold (keeping in mind that the Vue turns off the compressor when at a stop light if the AC is on "green" and not "orange").

So, today, temp is about 86-89 with humidity of about 65% and I was running the AC on a 30 mile drive, up into the mountains and back down. About halfway back to my office, the AC stops blowing cold air. I turned the AC selector off, turned the recirc off and turned the blower off.

I then turned the blower back on, turned the AC selector back on (snowflake) and I hear what sounds like something hitting the ground under the Vue (I did not see anything in the rearview or sideview mirrors and could not stop). No matter what setting I used, I could not get cold air to blow again.

Any ideas? Could I have iced something up, which that ice then fell off and was the source of that noise? If that is the case, will leaving the car sitting for a few hours allow the temp sensor to reset? I'm going to take the Vue to my favorite independent service center on Monday but am curious as to what could possibly have happened ... especially with that noise of something falling off and underneath the Vue.

Thanks to anyone for any ideas!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to havok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help havok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
havok is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue Greenline AC

If you can, look under the hood for anything unusual then crawl under and look again. If you can't do this and the Vue is drivable, it may be wiser to visit a repair shop sooner rather than wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
havok

Thanks for the very sage advice ... the Vue was drivable ... made it the last 20 or so miles back to my office and then the 25 miles back to my house with no issues whatsoever ... except for the lack of AC.

I did stop at my usual place for service and they will look at the vehicle on Monday. I had a OBDII device that I plugged in to see if there were any codes set (the cat is barely below efficiency so I often have the CEL illuminated). There were no codes ...

It was all very odd ... my only thought is that the drive belt has been chirping occasionally (had it checked and no glazing or cracks) so I'm presuming that I blew out the compressor clutch ... which makes sense given the age. I'm just not sure about the odd noise when I turned the AC back on to test ...

Regardless ... thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help havok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have seen several compressor clutch outer plate be come loose and fall off. (green line only)
The clutch plate is splined to the compressor shaft and held in place with a small bolt. Because the compressor shaft is also damaged you'll need to replace the compressor

also check for the AC condenser leaking (oil stain) from low corners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
havok

Thanks for that ... that is very interesting and sounds plausible.

I did as fdryer suggested and took a quick look around with the engine running and not and saw nothing amiss. The vehicle runs exactly the same ... albeit with no cold air with the AC turned on.

I will make sure that the garage checks the condenser for leaking oil.

I greatly appreciate your experiential-based advice!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
havok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
I have seen several compressor clutch outer plate be come loose and fall off. (green line only)
The clutch plate is splined to the compressor shaft and held in place with a small bolt. Because the compressor shaft is also damaged you'll need to replace the compressor

also check for the AC condenser leaking (oil stain) from low corners
so ... great deductive work!

i relayed your suggestion about the clutch outer plate / cover possibly being what i heard falling off and, sure enough, that's exactly what it was!

a little bit of dye on the low pressure side by the switch ... they think it's just the seal where the line connects to the switch.

so, the big question is ... and i welcome all opinions ... do i replace the compressor? it's just over $200 from rockauto.com plus about 2.5 hours of labor (around $200). we don't use it much at all but i wasn't sure if the defrost required the use of the compressor. the Vue has almost 180,000 miles on her! what a great vehicle!

thanks for everyone's opinions and suggestions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This can be an inexpensive fix with a junk yard clutch plate, bolt and washer shims to the expensive repair of replacing compressor and drier first. If a leak occurs afterwards, more repairs follows. Defrost uses ac to help dehumidify air when temps are above 40F. Below 40F ac is automatically disabled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote