SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
fst2011
fst2011 will become famous soon enoughfst2011 will become famous soon enough

Question 04 Vue Power Steering Issue, Please Help

Hello everyone,

My sister recently got a 2004 Saturn Vue and had problems left & right. All problems are currently fixed except for the power steering.

The Issue:
While she is driving the power steering will just shut off (And then come back on) and basically be a car with no power steering which is extremely hard to drive. Sometimes she will get in the car in morning and it will not be working, but as she drives, it comes back on. Sometimes while driving it will be no power steering for a long time and then for no reason it will start working again.

I had car looked at but they cant find the issue. They say unless it stays broken, they cannot find issue. He mentioned he could change 1 of the 2 parts he feels might be problem but there is no way of knowing for sure if thats the problem and he really doesnt want to waste money.

I tried looking under hood for the power steering reservoir but I cannot find it. I read somewhere that Hybrid vue dont have, but this vue is not a hybrid.

Can someone please help us...please. We spent allot of money to get this car safe for my sister and we dont know where to turn. She has Lupus and needs a car for doctor and its very stressfull not being able to fix this.

Thanks for reading this, sorry it might have been alittle long but was not sure best way to explain the issue.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fst2011's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fst2011 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fst2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 04 Vue Power Steering Issue, Please Help

Mike ... welcome aboard.

The Vue has electric power steering. Problems are rare but can be a beast to resolve when they do occur.

There are a few fuses and connectors you could check but I won't mention the whereabouts unless you confirm having a few skills and electrical tools such as meter or test light.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I need to be away from PC for awhile so will attach a few EPS extracts which could be useful to you or a troubleshooting friend or neighbor.

An intermittent condition such as you folks are encountering is most likely caused by a poor electrical connection.

My preferred method of finding bad connections is to test the system (electric power steering) - in either a working or non-working condition - while an associate moves about the vehicle moving each wire and harness (see wiring diagram) while you check results.

A few hardware problems have been reported but not so many I can recall the major failing end-item.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - EPS D & O.pdf (12.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - EPS Schematic.pdf (70.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Poor Return of Strg Whl.pdf (13.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Pwr Strng Connectors.pdf (62.1 KB, 158 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
fst2011
fst2011 will become famous soon enoughfst2011 will become famous soon enough

Hello and thank you for replying. I would have sooner but my sister got sick again & had goto back into hospital. I'm in a bad spot cause the mechanic can't find problem cause it doesn't stay broken & he can't drive car all day waiting for it to lose power steering.

I'm more then willing to try & trouble shoot but need a bit of direction, please. I own a multimeter but have to search garage for test light.

What should I set meter to when checking? What area would you check first? Any other tips would be so appreciated...truly!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fst2011's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fst2011 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fst2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst2011 View Post
Hello and thank you for replying. I would have sooner but my sister got sick again & had goto back into hospital. I'm in a bad spot cause the mechanic can't find problem cause it doesn't stay broken & he can't drive car all day waiting for it to lose power steering.

I'm more then willing to try & trouble shoot but need a bit of direction, please. I own a multimeter but have to search garage for test light.

What should I set meter to when checking? What area would you check first? Any other tips would be so appreciated...truly!
You need to access the EPS motor and control module. They're located behind knee bolster panel under steering wheel.

Once you see the hardware you'll need to penetrate insulation on a couple of wires to monitor for power loss when harnesses are aggressively moved.

There's also a large EPS fuse under the hood and a smaller fuse in the center console fuse box.

I've attached thumbnails for the EPS motor and inline fuse (in small black rectangular box) in large wire.

If you want to proceed - I can provide service manual extracts to access the motor. Send email address by private message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPS Inline Fuse.jpg (158.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg EPS Motor & Cntl Module.jpg (138.6 KB, 123 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
If you want to proceed - I can provide service manual extracts to access the motor. Send email address by private message.
The thumbnails in my last post were not as good as they should have been.

I've attached updated versions to this post.

You could use photo of PSCM and EPS motor with the connector layout - along with the 04 Vue - EPS schematic in post # 3 - to decide where to attach your volt-meter or test leads.

Send PM if you want the instructions to access the EPS motor.

I know this appears complicated - and it is - there are no simple solutions for the DIY'er.

I'd try to eliminate a poor connection as root cause of the intermittent EPS operation. And, if that fails - parts substitution is next step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPS 80A Fuse.jpg (153.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg EPS PSCM & Motor.jpg (145.4 KB, 96 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!