SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Electrical Issue

The DRL indicator lamp, high beam indicator lamp and right high beam does not work on my 97 SC2. The DRL's are fine as well as the left high beam. According the electrical schematic, the right high beam goes through the DRL relay. I checked all the fuses and DRL relay and everything is OK. I'm thinking the problem may either be in the instrument cluster or possibly headlamp switch. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Electrical Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1
The DRL indicator lamp, high beam indicator lamp and right high beam does not work on my 97 SC2. The DRL's are fine as well as the left high beam. According the electrical schematic, the right high beam goes through the DRL relay. I checked all the fuses and DRL relay and everything is OK. I'm thinking the problem may either be in the instrument cluster or possibly headlamp switch. Any ideas?

The wiring is a bit "messy". The left and right headlight are not feed off of a common feed. GM also turns the headlights on and of at switch by switching the ground to them not the power feed. The power for right headlight does come from DRL relay area but not relay itself but through a fuse that feeds a relay terminal to that power DRL lights too. From looking at the schematic for a while I suggest that you check your common grounds because if one opens up it could cause whet you are seeing. Car schematics are never pretty or striaght forward but this design is really even a bit out of the ordinary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Thanks for the help. I have some schematics from the factory service manual and have tried to trace things down. Are the separate circuits for left and right high beams a failsafe so they don't both go out at once if there is a wiring problem? I'm an automotive electrical engineer and have spent a ton of time reading and drawing schematics but this one has me a little stumped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1
Thanks for the help. I have some schematics from the factory service manual and have tried to trace things down. Are the separate circuits for left and right high beams a failsafe so they don't both go out at once if there is a wiring problem? I'm an automotive electrical engineer and have spent a ton of time reading and drawing schematics but this one has me a little stumped.
Engineer here too (electric but not automotive though principals are the same) but this car schematic is not too clear at times and is not my normal reading. What they appear to have done is tied the positive feeds for left head light and left running light together, and right headlight and running light together and switch the grounds around to power them. My guess too is too is to prevent complete headlight circuit failure by spliting it up. Check the feeds on the right side and the grounds it uses. I find the concept of switching grounds to power them a bit disturbing in design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote