SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Azimzim
Azimzim is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2008 Saturn Vue key stuck in ignition

I bought a 2008 Saturn Vue about 6 months ago. Occasionally the key would become stuck in the ignition. It would become stuck on accessory. I could wiggle it or wait a couple of seconds and it would release. But this has started happening more and more often. Sometimes I can pull the key out with no problem. Sometimes I'm sitting in my car for 10 or 15 minutes before it will release the key. This has become incredibly frustrating. I have tried greasing the key, jiggling the steering wheel, ensuring the car is in park, and turning the car off and back on. At first I had thought that any of these were solutions, as sometimes it worked! But now I'm convinced these were just flukes. This also happens with the spare key. Does this mean I need a new ignition cyclinder? Or is there something else I am missing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Azimzim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Azimzim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Azimzim is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
LaboysToy
LaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really nice

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: 2008 Saturn Vue key stuck in ignition

There is a recall about the GM ignition lock issue, Check
https://my.gm.com/recalls?eVar18=IS_websiteto see if you have a recall on your Vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimzim View Post
I bought a 2008 Saturn Vue about 6 months ago. Occasionally the key would become stuck in the ignition. It would become stuck on accessory. I could wiggle it or wait a couple of seconds and it would release. But this has started happening more and more often. Sometimes I can pull the key out with no problem. Sometimes I'm sitting in my car for 10 or 15 minutes before it will release the key. This has become incredibly frustrating. I have tried greasing the key, jiggling the steering wheel, ensuring the car is in park, and turning the car off and back on. At first I had thought that any of these were solutions, as sometimes it worked! But now I'm convinced these were just flukes. This also happens with the spare key. Does this mean I need a new ignition cyclinder? Or is there something else I am missing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LaboysToy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LaboysToy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LaboysToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If both keys are worn, they can prevent the lock cylinder from operating. Most here suggest having new keys made by GM since they use Vin for key code info. Worse case scenario is replacing the lock cylinder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
RLTherio
RLTherio is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my key not being able to remove it from the cylinder lock. My problem was the button on the shifting lever did not fully release. Check to make sure that the button isn't still pressed in.

Hope this helps

Bob T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RLTherio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RLTherio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RLTherio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
balexander87
balexander87 is on a distinguished road

I had an 09 Cobalt that had a the key stick in the Run position. I could pull the fuel pump fuse and then disconnect the battery to shut it down. Then hook everything up and turn the key to start, but couldn't go to ACC or Off. Sort of opposite the typical Cablet ignition lock issue.

Dealership that did the (warrantied) repair said the lock cylinder just "fell apart" and locked up. A perk of this failure was that I got an updated lock cylinder several years before the recall hit...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to balexander87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help balexander87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
balexander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
well485
well485 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I futzed with this type of problem for about a year. I have an '07 VUE and found that after inserting the key, I put upward pressure on the key while turning (either starting or turning off), there is no binding and the key pulls right out without any drag. No money spent, just had to change my mindset while turning the key.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to well485's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help well485 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
well485 is offline   Reply With Quote