SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
lastcall190
lastcall190 is on a distinguished road

Default Odd electrical issue...

'04 L300, 40k miles, Automatic, runs fine (sans the occasional wrench light...).

I notice that with the windows up and radio off/low, I can hear a strange feedback coming from the speakers that perfectly coincides with the engine RPM. It almost sounds like when my buddy muffed up his stereo install and had a bad ground. The dash has never been off the car, no wires have been messed with, so I'm not sure what it started to happen. Sadly I can't remember if it had happened in the past, or if it's just a case of finally noticing it. Any ideas? Thanks

-J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lastcall190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lastcall190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lastcall190 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Odd electrical issue...

You may have to check the radio connections to be sure its grounded otherwise you may have to hunt down this rf noise. Have the alternator tested. Be sure the battery, battery cables, and connections are clean and free of any corrosion, especially the ground connections.

I had a faulty alternator once; I transmitted a whine along with voice on a CB radio years ago while in a caravan of cars. A co-worker heard my xmission and remarked that the noise was from my alternator. Sure enough I found one of the six diodes had failed and caused the rf noise. Although not likely to occur, its a possibility and difficult to test for as the alternator must be removed from the engine for bench testing. Store tests may reveal a faulty one. I checked mine by hand and was able to find a rebuild factory that had my diode pack. A few hours of work and my rebuilt alternator was good as new. I never heard any rf noise from my car radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
lastcall190
lastcall190 is on a distinguished road

Great I will have a look. I was planning on having the alt/batt tested anyhow, seeing as the car is almost 8 years old and I'm certain they are original. Also having some funny issues with the lights dimming and really getting dark when I use the windows. Thanks for the input.

-J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lastcall190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lastcall190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lastcall190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall190 View Post
Great I will have a look. I was planning on having the alt/batt tested anyhow, seeing as the car is almost 8 years old and I'm certain they are original. Also having some funny issues with the lights dimming and really getting dark when I use the windows. Thanks for the input.

-J
My battery is brand new (2 months old) and the same thing tends to happen with the dimming...One new thing that happened last night in the 20 degree weather: My day-time running lights didn't work until the car had warmed for about a minute...anyone able to explain this??

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyferrari View Post
My battery is brand new (2 months old) and the same thing tends to happen with the dimming...One new thing that happened last night in the 20 degree weather: My day-time running lights didn't work until the car had warmed for about a minute...anyone able to explain this??
did you accidentally have the parking break on for that minute not realizing it? dont know if you mean that the car sat in park while warming up with the P brake on or if you were driving around for 1 minute before the lights came on? toggle the headlights on and off, a messed up stalk switch can stop the DRL from coming on.

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattachuz View Post
did you accidentally have the parking break on for that minute not realizing it? dont know if you mean that the car sat in park while warming up with the P brake on or if you were driving around for 1 minute before the lights came on? toggle the headlights on and off, a messed up stalk switch can stop the DRL from coming on.
My parking brake was engaged at the time, I was on a steep hill. The eventually went on but I don't get how a parking brake would shut them off..

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyferrari View Post
My parking brake was engaged at the time, I was on a steep hill. The eventually went on but I don't get how a parking brake would shut them off..
well i can answer that one lol

Page 115 of the 2000 L series owners manual

Daytime running lamps

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can make it easier for others to see the front of your Saturn during the day. DRL can be helpful in many different driving conditions, but they can be especially helpful in the short periods after dawn and before sunset.

The high beam headlamps bill come on at half the normal brightness when:

* The ignition is on
* The headlight switch is off, and
* The parking brake is released

When you turn on your headlamps, the DRL will switch off and the exterior lights will come on.

When you turn off the headlamps, the exterior lamps will go out and the high beam headlamps will come on at half the normal brightness again. As with any vehicle you should turn on the regular headlamp system when you need it.

To idle your vehicle with the DRL off, set the parking brake. The DRL will stay off until you release the parking brake.

When the daytime running lamps are on, the DRL indicator (top left indicator on the cluster) in the instrument panel is illuminated.

So to answer your question jonny, the parking brake would have EVERYTHING to do with the DRL not coming on.

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote