SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Turkey_Sangwich
Turkey_Sangwich is on a distinguished road

Default Loss of power at 4500rpm / Various fault codes

Hey there everyone.

I've had my 08 Astra for just about a year now with no issues until about a month ago and was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar.

Issues began with an intermittent ABS light coming on for seconds at a time. Over time it started showing showing up more frequently, caused the odometer to stop working along with the fuel economy tracking in the center screen. After that, a check engine light, and now the brake warning light which took out the speedometer as well. Car pulls codes P1793, C1221, both for the LF wheel speed sensor, and U0122 for the Stability control.

I had ordered a hub assembly and sensor, while waiting for that to arrive issues cropped up with a loss of power. Anything over 4500rpm and it refuses to accelerate. The car also feels extremely jerky at low RPMs. Had the codes read today and found nothing out of the ordinary.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Wanted to start here before I go hunting for mechanics. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Turkey_Sangwich's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Turkey_Sangwich reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Turkey_Sangwich is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Loss of power at 4500rpm / Various fault codes

Sounds dangerous so you need to get this sorted ASAP for health and safety reasons. Get a pro to sort this out ASAP.

Nobody can diagnose from a computer but a few ideas to noodle on in the meantime:

- All those codes simply could be a low voltage problem causing issues in seemingly random places. Get your battery and alternator tested at nearby auto parts store.

- At home you can do voltage drop tests under load. Clean the battery terminals and clamps. Then clean the key positive contacts (e.g. at alternator, starter, to fuse box, etc.) Then clean key grounds (e.g. at alternator, starter, engine block, various body grounds. I outlined some of the body grounds in a recent post so search for that; there are several under the battery box and under the fuse panel. Do another voltage drop test under load.

- For loss of power another issue might be fact the spark plugs need to be changed very frequently on these cars, like every 25k miles, or they kill the coil packs. If your plugs have not been changed frequently you will need new plugs and possibly a new coilpack.

- I suppose you could have some issue in fuel delivery but that seems to be less common of an issue on the Astra.

EDIT - Also hub sensors are quite reliable on Astra so I would not just go swapping that part first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Loss of power at 4500rpm / Various fault codes

Also, ABS/traction sensors generally failing together may be related to bad sensor, bad/dirty connector, broken wire (which may be internal and intermittent), bad computer, low voltage. But you probably know that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote