SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
blade1981m
blade1981m is on a distinguished road

Default 98 SL2 wont start, horn wont work and key fob wont work

Having a variety of issues with my 98 saturn sl2. When I first got it, the horn wasnt working, alarm wasnt working, domelight didnt come on when car was unlocked with fob and trunk release on fob didnt work. A couple of weeks ago, the fob stopped working altogether and at the same time the car wouldnt start and the unlock switch on the drivers side door no longer unlocks the driver side door, but does unlock all other doors.

After researching for quite a bit on this site and several other sites, I was led to believe the RKE module was faulty and so ordered a replacement and switched it out. All the above problems still exist, so I am at a loss. I decided I would try and tackle the horn first cause then I should get a horn code when i put the key in which will tell me a little bit about the RKE module's current setting. I found that the horn fuse was blown and tried to replace it, but the new fuse blew right away.

Unfortunately I dont know too much about cars and most of my mechanic friends know more the engine related issues with cars and not the electrical stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blade1981m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blade1981m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blade1981m is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 98 SL2 wont start, horn wont work and key fob wont work

Did you TEST (not just visually check) ALL fuses in BOTH fuse boxes? Always a to-do before spending () money on an electrical part. Particularly test the CHIME and LOCKS fuses. If all good, next suspect is the CHIME module; it's a deck-of-cards-sized box on the BACK (left-facing) side of the interior fuse box. Remove the kick panel from the driver's side of the center console (near the gas pedal) for access. Another possibility is an electrically damaged connection in that junction box. Inspect that back side of the box for electrical crispiness on the connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
T-boneSW1
T-boneSW1 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW1

battery?

1995 Saturn SW1
2001 Suburban
2004 MR2 Spyder
2007 Cooper S R52

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to T-boneSW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help T-boneSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
T-boneSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
blade1981m

Fuse for chime is blown on right side and blows as soon as a new one is put in. Did not know about the left side fuse box. I will check that today and see if i can see anything there.

Battery is good. Had a friend test that first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blade1981m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
blade1981m

Ok, so I thought this issue was resolved. I found that the horn was disconnected behind the front headlight and when I reconnected it I was able to get the car to start. Well, today I was leaving work and found it was back to doing the same thing. Car wont start, key fob wont work and drivers side unlock unlocks all other doors except the driver door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!