SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
koasterking
koasterking is on a distinguished road

Default To work...Or not to work...At a Saturn Dealership?

Hey guys, I know some of you might help me with this.

I read in the paper that a Saturn dealership is hiring sales people. The dealership is located about 45 min-1 hour from where I am, but I can take a train to it if needed. My questions are...

For those who work at a dealership, is it fun and good?

Hows the pay?

Any other stuff I should be aware of?

I've been looking to get out of where I'm currently looking and have been hopeing to work at a Saturn dealerhsip because I really like the cars

Any info is welcome and thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to koasterking's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help koasterking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
koasterking is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: To work...Or not to work...At a Saturn Dealership?

Do a search in this forum and you'll find a lot of similar threads. To sum most of them up for you though:

Each facility is an independently owned franchise so you'll find things like pay/perks/process will vary so make sure you do your homework on you particular facility prior to jumping on board.

However as someone who has worked with Saturn for almost six years now I can tell you I do not want to be doing anything else. The product we have now is amazing and I'm fortunate enough to work for an owner who cares about her customers and her employess and thus we have an excellent atmosphere at our facility.

Check them out if you have any questions/concerns feel free to PM me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dschrader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dschrader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
trekkerguy
trekkerguy is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The pay is a little different than other dealers. Rather than being paid a commission to sell the most expensive most loaded cars, your paid(At least here in Boise) $500 per new car you sell and $200 per used car you sell. Plus other little bonuses. If you like your local dealer(people are friendly, give good service) and you think you can fit in, then yes, join the Saturn family!

myspace.com/trekkerguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trekkerguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trekkerguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trekkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
beanheadz
beanheadz is on a distinguished road

From my five years selling Saturns, I would say yes, I would go if I were you.
When I left in 2005, the ION was not doing too well, the VUE was doing good, and the L200, etc (nee L-Series) was a very slow seller.
Now, look at what you have! I am so impressed by not one or two, but all of the Saturns out there right now (and esp. the Astra this fall).

Yes, pay rates etc vary, but It is good work. Hard work, but good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beanheadz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beanheadz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beanheadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
koasterking

Here's my dilema:

I currently work for Wal-Mart as Photo Dept. manager, and I've been with the company for almost 6 1/2 years. I hate to leave because of how long I've worked there. But all of a sudden, I'm not enjoying working there and I end up with more bad days than good. I've been looking at new jobs for almost 4 months now and I saw this , and I think I can do a good job.

It's just, I hate to throw 6 1/2 years down the drain, espacially if I'm getting fully vested in 6 months. I'm a little confused, but the more I think about it, the more I would like to work for Saturn.

It's a tough choice.

Thanks everyone for you input, I greatly appreciate it!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help koasterking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by koasterking View Post
.....It's just, I hate to throw 6 1/2 years down the drain, espacially if I'm getting fully vested in 6 months.....
Personally, I would suck it up for six more months. Doesn't getting 'vested' mean you will get a pension from them? Even though it will be small, every bit counts. Shame to throw that away. JMHO

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
beanheadz
beanheadz is on a distinguished road

If 6 more months means some kind of pension later on, then by all means stay for a while. but then get out, and do something you want to do rather than have to do.
It's no fun being somewhere where you feel there are more bad days than good. Why waste more time there?
Good luck with your search!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beanheadz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beanheadz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beanheadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Solareklypz
Solareklypz is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2005 VUE 3.5L

just be lucky you don't live in CA, then you'd have real bad dayz and i'm not just talking about not being able to understand half the people that come in to the store, wait it out...

03 VUE V6 AWD
Black
Sunroof
Leather
Silverstars Head & Foglights
Ghetto Intake
Yellowtop Optima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Solareklypz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Solareklypz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Solareklypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
Exto
Exto is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1998 SL2

Stay with wally world until you get vested, then take what you can & give nothing back. Then go get a job at Saturn. (Unless they aren't going to give you much of anything for busting your hindquarters for the last seven years, in which case, screw 'em.) Just don't stay with a job only because you don't want to 'lose' the last couple of years of work history. I've got a few people at my warehouse who are only staying there because they're vested, and they feel miserable doing their job, and dread getting up for work in the morning. So not worth it if you have better opportunities elsewhere.

I agree with Henry Ford on automotive color options. I'll paint it any color you like, as long as it's black.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Exto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Exto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Exto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Remember...Work to live NOT Live to work. This is the way I look at my job

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I'd stay for 6 months and get vested for sure. That amount of time working for a company - the vesting is the reward you earned and it would be a shame to toss it away with your own choice.

Also, maybe you could strike a deal and try working for Saturn for a day or two on weekends and cover people while still being at Walmart and see if you even like the job, dealer, co-workers, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
koasterking

Thanks, everyone! You have no idea how much this helps. I've decided to stay until I get vested in February. But it's after that we'll have to see what happens next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!