SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
bifurcatedchaos
bifurcatedchaos has a spectacular aura aboutbifurcatedchaos has a spectacular aura about

Default After a short period of harsh shifting, got P0732-P0734 and stuck in park

I started experiencing reverse slam about five weeks ago. I'd been periodically checking the transmission fluid and it seemed to be okay, so I put off doing a filter and fluid change as per the guides on this forum due to inconvenience. The problem was not getting better although it didn't seem to be getting worse.

Fast forward to last weekend, on a long drive, I was suddenly experiencing bad behavior in forward gears, with noticeable jerking in upshifts, growing worse and worse, until eventually I could not upshift at all without redlining the engine. I limped home in first and (unfortunately) parked in an inaccessible place. The next day I tested the OBD faults and found P0732, P0733, and P0734 (plus P0410 and P0446 that I already knew about). The car seems to be unable to shift out of park at all now, and when I looked at the fluid it was very low, burnt-smelling and had bits of grime. While the engine ran a hot steam would escape from the fluid filling tunnel, and to the best of my observation there was a small puddle of unidentifiable fluid underneath where my transmission is...where the car is parked makes it hard to see underneath it. I tried putting in new fluid but there was no change in behavior.

So I guess the question is, how screwed am I? What is the likely cause of the problem, what should I look at first?

Also, looking for advice on how to safely move a car that is stuck in park so that I can work on it...or possibly have it towed to a shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bifurcatedchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bifurcatedchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bifurcatedchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: After a short period of harsh shifting, got P0732-P0734 and stuck in park

Are the shifter and cables broken, preventing shifting from Park to Neutral? This part is all about shifter, linkages and connection to the xmission to mechanically move the park pawl locking tab from a detent in the xmission gear box (preventing the xmission/front wheels from moving) and unlocking it to shift into RNDL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: After a short period of harsh shifting, got P0732-P0734 and stuck in park

Fwiw - the only time my '95 got stuck in Park, it was due to a faulty Brake Switch which disabled the Shifter Lock Solenoid. I wound up removing the console and disconnecting the locking mechanism so I could get the car home and replace the Brake Switch. You may have bigger problems based on how you say the fluid looks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Try turning the key to ACC (NOT to RUN), then see if you can shift out of Park. If you can, it's most likely your BTSI - brake transmission shift interlock. Not in play until you turn the key to RUN. If not, it's more likely the ITSI - ignition transmission shift interlock. That's a cable that runs from the key cylinder down to the shifter that prevents shifting without the key. The BTSI is a driver safety feature and the ITSI is (supposedly) an anti-theft feature. So it's an ITSI-BTSI problem.... (sorry....)

Those are issue external to the transmission itself, however; your P-codes point to a problem within the transmission, or possibly the trans range switch (TRS).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:45 AM   #5
bifurcatedchaos
bifurcatedchaos has a spectacular aura aboutbifurcatedchaos has a spectacular aura about

I should have clarified a bit. The shifter moves between gears just fine, it's different than the lockout you get when you try to shift out of park without the brake depressed, that causes the shifter to be locked in place. It's just that the gears aren't actually changing. There is no noticeable change in revs between any gear, no noise or shifting feeling in the transmission. With the brake and e-brake disengaged, the car will not move when I shift to neutral, even though it is parked on a mild incline.

So my first thought was that something physical in the transmission (the valve body? those solenoids?) that converts the signals from the shifter into physical movements of the clutches must've gone to lunch. I hadn't considered that this might be a different kind of mechanical failure in the shifter or the cables that caused gears to slip and slam. I'll have to look up how to check those linkages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bifurcatedchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

OK, since its not the shift linkages or Park pawl/lock issue and shifting is normal except no gears engage, this seems to be related to valve body issues and/or electrical connections to the valve body. This coupled with almost empty xmission fluid and a smell of burned xmission fluid suggests possible pressure control valve fault along with extremely low fluid. If extremely low on xmission fluid, aeration may add erratic hydraulic pressures when solenoids are powered with aerated xmission fluid in passageways. You might have more than one problem here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifurcatedchaos View Post
With the brake and e-brake disengaged, the car will not move when I shift to neutral, even though it is parked on a mild incline.
Are you saying that with the Shifter in Neutral, you can't even push the car? i.e. like the Parking Pawl is in fact engaged?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^ Pivotal question. It's possible it's something as simple as the cable from the shifter to the transmission has become disenaged or has broken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
bifurcatedchaos

Thank you all for replying. I have been without internet at home for two days and have been busy.

I looked at it again by putting even more transmission fluid inside. After that, I managed to get it into reverse and drive, though the slam is worse, and now my forward gears slip like crazy. On what little drive I dared go on, it would go all over in gears...it wouldn't slam into gear but not stick in place either.I guess I upgraded my Saturn to a CVT?

This seems to suggest that my valve body is dead, right? Now that the car can move I can work on it but I don't know if I'm up to replace a valve body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No, no, no.....say it ain't so (CVT ). A pox upon anyone uttering the words continuously variable transmission unless its in the Vue forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
This seems to suggest that my valve body is dead, right? Now that the car can move I can work on it but I don't know if I'm up to replace a valve body.
I suspect your initial problem, the P0732, P0733, and P0734 codes, was caused by low ATF level. This would cause low pressure to the clutches and therefore slipping which then causes burnt fluid. Hard to say how much damage was done to the clutches. I think I would first change the fluid and filter, see how much debris comes out, and then see what codes you still have. Here's some info on checking for proper ATF level . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

PS - you want the Wix 57101 and make sure you get plain old Dex III - NOT Dex VI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #13
bifurcatedchaos

Update on my progress: After taking a long bus-riding day trip to buy what I needed (some Dexron-III compatible ATF and a WIX 57101, plus tools I didn't have like a 1/2" drive socket wrench and a belt-style filter wrench), and watching richpin's AT filter change video, I started working on draining the fluid. Unfortunately the transmission drain plug seems to have rusted on, so I sprayed some WD40 and will attack it again tomorrow. Unfortunately it's been storming on and off and I have to wrench in an open parking lot. I got quite wet today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
bifurcatedchaos

This stuck drain plug is killing me. The WD40 isn't really doing anything and it looks like I'm slowly rounding the screw through my efforts with the 1/2" wrench. I don't think there is enough clearance with my jackstands to use a breaker bar on it even if I had one. I don't want to plunk down money for all that I'd need to use an impact wrench on it. This is going to take a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #15
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

WD40, unless its the special penetrant blend, is useless for unsticking stuck bolts. It's great for lubricating moving things so they move easier but useless for getting stuck things moving.

I seem to remember the drain plug being 14mm...not 1/2". There's enough of a difference to round things off...nearly everything on the S-Series is metric hex not SAE. Personally, I won't use 12pt sockets/wrenchs unless the hex requires it or I can't find a 6pt equivalent for sale. All they do is grab the points of the hex, not good for torqued on bolts/nuts.

Another thing you can try after getting the right size 6pt wrench on it: use 1 hand to stabilize the wrench (in the middle) and use the other give it a few sharp wacks (on the far end) with a hammer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
bifurcatedchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
WD40, unless its the special penetrant blend, is useless for unsticking stuck bolts. It's great for lubricating moving things so they move easier but useless for getting stuck things moving.

I seem to remember the drain plug being 14mm...not 1/2". There's enough of a difference to round things off...nearly everything on the S-Series is metric hex not SAE. Personally, I won't use 12pt sockets/wrenchs unless the hex requires it or I can't find a 6pt equivalent for sale. All they do is grab the points of the hex, not good for torqued on bolts/nuts.

Another thing you can try after getting the right size 6pt wrench on it: use 1 hand to stabilize the wrench (in the middle) and use the other give it a few sharp wacks (on the far end) with a hammer.
I assumed that WD-40 was good at that, dang. I'll have to go buy some PB Blaster then.

I used a 15mm because richpin's video said it was 15mm. I didn't try 14mm, I'll have to check it. This was with a 6 pt socket.

I did try a little bit of hammer action, but the only hammer I had at hand was a massive pein hammer that I could not leverage due to the cramped space available under the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #17
bifurcatedchaos

It took a lot of effort and back-and-forth buying tools (I had almost none of my own because I was relying on borrowing other's and now I can't do that)...but I finally broke the drain plug out and drained the fluid. I was surprised at how little fluid there was. It didn't fill my 7 qt. drain pan even halfway. The fluid looks darker than the stuff I put in by quite a few shades, and has a mild burnt odor to it. No metal bits that I could see though.

I'm stuck on trying to get the filter changed now and will attack it again tomorrow. The bolt holding the air filter assembly to the body is in a bad way, and trying to force it has only rounded the head even worse, so I need new tools to get it out. I don't see an easier way to get at the transmission filter than removing it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I was surprised at how little fluid there was. It didn't fill my 7 qt. drain pan even halfway.
Sounds like it was a tad low - usually about 4 qts. come out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #19
bifurcatedchaos

Got the bolt off...now stuck at the filter itself. It is badly pitted and dinged from when my brother tried to remove it by accident while changing my oil a while back (thought it was the oil filter). My Fram oil filter wrench is having no purchase on it, it falls into groves that have been smoothed down too much. I guess I need to buy a different wrench. Anyone have suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

This is my favorite oil filter wrench out of the handful we own:

http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-gar...rs/141500_0_0/

You could try the free method: pierce the filter through with a long screw driver and turn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote