SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Lw300supa
Lw300supa is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Saturn lw300 3.0L v6 radiator leak same positions

Hey fellow saturnfans I am a new member. I have a lw300 wagon and my radiator keeps cracking in almost the same spot. I have two problems.

Does anyone know the proper specifications for a replacement radiator. I wouldnt want to replace with one with the improper capacity.
Also has any one else experienced cracking in the same position. (Replacement came from lkq no leaks before road trip and cracked same position.)

Just a little backstory:
I bought the car no leaks looked as if it was well kept. About 3 months ago (two months after purchase anniversary) i developed a hairline crack or fissure below the upper radiator hose along the passenger side of the fan mount screw in bolt. I replaced it with a second hand from LKQ.(I KNOW ITS NOT THE BEST CHOICE) I recently was lucky enough to find a like new replacement and everything was fine. After a 300 mile trip i had a leak in ALMOST the same spot. Just not extending to the bolted upper fan mount. Is this a common problem.

I hope im not confusing anyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lw300supa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lw300supa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lw300supa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn lw300 3.0L v6 radiator leak same positions

There are four rubber mounts for shock absorption. The two main hoses are shaped with extra length to accommodate engine flexing to prevent stress on the inlet and outlet connections. Did someone use a straight hose or different hose contributing to damage in the same area?

No one has reported this type of damage to their L300s. Mine (hoses and radiator) are original and due for new hoses (105k miles).

A precaution about ther upper radiator hose;

Important
The engine end of the hose is labeled to prevent reverse installation.

The white line on the hose should be installed at the 12 o'clock position.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (42.8 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Lw300supa
Lw300supa is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply. I see all the hoses are premolded and were installed correctly. The white line is at the 12 oclock position.
I have noticed a gap between the fan and the radiator itself. Also there is alot of abnormal moving when it is touched. Could the vibrations cause this to happen.
I replaced the radiator and it seems like the mounts are either the wrong size or worn out. The rubber inside of the frame mount is connected but i see alot of back and forth movement. I am going to include a picture of radiator and fracture line. I want to make sure before buying a brand new radiator that i cover all bases.
This fracture line has happened on the LKQ RADIATOR as well.
I dont think both RADS can be weak in the same spot. I am due to change the front mount near the radiator bottom and when shifted into gear the radiator moves up and down could this be the issue. Can the fan be an issue. Should i replace the rubber mounts when replacing the radiator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator crack.jpg (124.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Lw300supa; 06-12-2019 at 02:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lw300supa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lw300supa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lw300supa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Without more snapshots, my guess, both radiators were fine and the first one may have been replaced before you came into possession of this wagon. The four rubber isolation mounts may be worn out and allowing more than normal movement, possibly contributing to damage in the same area. Dimensions of replacement parts must be the same as originals as well as capacity. Without knowing if parts are exact replacements and if the chassis was bent from damage and repaired but not in factory alignment, mounting the radiator may stress it from chassis misalignment. You'd have to examine the front end carefully for signs of crash damage, bent sub frames, paint over spray, etc, to determine if the radiator fits perfectly or not.

If you like, send me a private message, include an email address (allowing file attachment) and I'll send service manual info about replacing the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rubber Mounts... $7.58 Parts Geek

https://www.partsgeek.com/zg5j57p-sa...Radiator+Mount

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote