SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
ELRJ2
ELRJ2 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 2003 Saturn L300 Code P0300

I have a 2003 Saturn L300 with a constant misfire which is most noticeable at idle. My scan tool displays P0300 and B3B03 codes. When I view data stream there are no current misfires, only history misfires with cylinder #5 only counting crazily from 0 to 256 misfires, or some number between them. I have other data that is out of range as well, ie. Spark: -64 degrees, ECT -40 F, Battery Voltage 9.53V, long term and short term fuel trims at -100%. I replaced the ICM for bank one and all the spark plugs., swapped #5 and #2 injectors, but my scan tool still shows history misfire in cyl. #5. Hope you might have some ideas. Oh, I was told by the dealer the ECM was replaced before I purchased it, but it looks like a used one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ELRJ2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ELRJ2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ELRJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn L300 Code P0300

1- There's no such error code as B3B03. The P0300 is for general misfiring. Each cylinder misfire will have its cylinder number; P0301/cylinder #1, etc..

2-If you are sure of this reader seeing only 9.56 volts, either this reader is faulty or the battery is dead/dying. Batteries last on average 5-6 years and all die at the end of their warranty. How old is your battery? Is it fully charged when these problems appeared? Store testing car batteries is best to determine when to replace one. Electronics relies on power so batteries are more important than ever. This includes a properly operating belt drive system to ensure the alternator is outputting between 13 and 15 volts.

3-If a dealer warranty exists, return the car for warranty repairs. This may prevent out of pocket repair costs when a warranty should guarantee a working car when driven off the lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You are right, there is no such B code, but my scanner keeps popping the same two up after clearing. The battery is 4 months old, and when reading V at battery, it shows 12.58V w/ engine off, and 14.8V after starting. Vehicle warranty expired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ELRJ2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, by measuring battery voltage and verifying a good battery leaves the reader in question, whether or not its working correctly or somehow giving erroneous data. When a car problem occurs and an unknown reader is used (no mention of previous reader use with reliable data), its best to not trust a reader until its proven itself in other cars; reading and displaying data that relates to actual data like coolant temperatures, intake air temperature, etc.. Correlating actual info like outside air temps and displayed intake air temps should be close and not 10-100 degrees apart. The same for coolant temps; initial coolant and air temps should be very close as indication of two sensors operating correctly and a reader displaying similar numbers with a few degrees difference. Readers should not be suspect but until you can ensure this reader is a working one, this may be a distraction.

What's mileage on this car? Parts replaced during your ownership? ANy previous history of car maintenance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #5
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I scanned 2 other vehicles and they both showed correct data. It is a Marco determinator with system 5.0 installed. There is 114000 miles on the vehicle with only the parts I have listed replaced. I have only had the car a few months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELRJ2 View Post
.... My scan tool displays P0300 and B3B03 codes. When I view data stream there are no current misfires, only history misfires with cylinder #5 only counting crazily from 0 to 256 misfires, or some number between them. I have other data that is out of range as well, ie. Spark: -64 degrees, ECT -40 F, Battery Voltage 9.53V ....
Well, 9.53v and -40F are incorrect. How would you explain measuring correct battery voltage while your reader is incorrect? While it may work on other cars, its giving incorrect info on your L300. Separating misinformation from a reader and actual symptoms can be difficult despite having an aftermarket reader. If I had access to this Matco scantool and see incorrect info (temperature and voltage in this case) and I know coolant temps are nowhere near -40F or 9.53v, I would suspect the scantool and try another scantool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Couldn't find another scanner w/datastream, so I called the manufacturer(OTC) and they told me I needed a different cable to get correct data with system 5.0. Will be getting a new cable this weekend and diagnose further. Thanks so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Maybe this is too simple, I don't know, but why not just call in one of the autostores and get them to check the OBD with their scanner for free. It gives you both a 2nd opinion on the fault and also the accuracy of your own OBD Reader.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Sad Re: 2003 Saturn L300 Code P0300

I tried pep boys, AutoZone and O'Reilly auto parts where I live and all three Don' have data stream available on their scan tools. Only cheerleading and they wouldn't allow me to use their scanner. Back in IL where I used to live, they would have let me use it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELRJ2 View Post
I tried pep boys, AutoZone and O'Reilly auto parts where I live and all three Don' have data stream available on their scan tools. Only cheerleading and they wouldn't allow me to use their scanner. Back in IL where I used to live, they would have let me use it.
I am presuming datastream is a higher level of OBD diagnosis with a more specialized reader. That said, you initially stated you had 2 codes, one of which another poster said didn't exist.
My suggestion was to use the regular Check Engine Light facility that the auto stores offer for free. That may be a more basic level than your datastream, but at least it tells you whether their codes are the same as yours. Have no clue what you mean by cheerleading.
As a non expert the OBD reader merely points you in a direction. The more sophisticated readers will point you in a more precise direction. Bit like a road map in small scale and large scale. But at the end of the day they only point, they don't fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sorry, should have proofread my post. I meant "code reading", not cheerleading. Kinda funny though, huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The parts stores all read code P0300 and no B3B03 code. The correct data stream should be able to point me more towards the symptom causing the condition. I went ahead and performed a vacuum test with a result of 15" of mercury at throttle body. Kind of low. Did an exhaust backpresure test, showed less than 1 psi. there, so no exhaust restrictions in either manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...What's mileage on this car? Parts replaced during your ownership? Any previous history of car maintenance?
If over 100k miles, a compression test may help with troubleshooting. Fuel pressure? Spark plugs replaced every 100k miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Fuel pressure was perfect and no leakdown after 15 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Compression test good. All cylinders 120 psi. on first hit and 210 max. psi. I replaced plugs one week ago, but I have no service history other than the supposed exam replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ECM I mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2015, 02:15 AM   #17
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is it possible the ECM is spewing out false data?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's mileage? Without posting actual fuel pressure, it can be misleading when claiming perfect numbers. As mentioned in post #13, spark plugs need replacement every 100k miles. Mileage is a reference to determine what's recommended for replacement otherwise a general misfire (P0300) can suggest both ignition coil packs, injectors or ecm are faulty. As a rule, injectors and ecm's rarely fail. To prove failure requires more troubleshooting and info.

Without familiarity with a scantool or reader, being misled by information not understood can lead to expensive parts replacement. P0300 means a general misfire condition - the ignition system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #19
ELRJ2

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Still has 114000 miles on car. I only have my history of the vehicle repairs. The 1,3,5 ignition module, plugs and plug boots are recent replacements. I am still working towards getting another scan tool that will read the datastream. The smart cable didn't' help with reading data. OTC says I probably need it repaired or replaced. Fuel pressure was 41psi. running at idwasan dropped about 3 psi. on acceleration.

Last edited by ELRJ2; 09-20-2015 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Additional info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When you're able to connect a scantool and log data, record data after a full warmup for idle. There was one member able to log data and we compared info. Thru comparative data, it was determined his maf sensor was faulty. I logged data for reference purposes as I thought it would be useful. It was relatively easy to compare data as we both owned L300's and were able to share baseline info (idle rpm screenshot).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!