SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Gadweller
Gadweller is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default power steering leak/steering rack question

I had my 02 SL1 in for service. While I was in there, I mentioned that during cold weather and rain, I hear a rubbing noise while turning. It sounds like it is in the column. The mechanic, an ASE Master, found a small power steering leak but told me that if the noise is not bothering me and the car is steering ok, to hold off on it because they likely will have to replace the rack as part of the resolution to the leak. He quoted me $200-$300 for that. He told me that it was not urgent at this time and for me to save my money.

Anyone have a comment about this? Obviously the guy is not trying to cheat me since he told me that I could wait but would a power steering leak cause the noise I described (too bad I can not record it and post it.)? The noise is sporadic.

Thanks..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gadweller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gadweller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
cazzylee
Advanced Member
cazzylee is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: power steering leak/steering rack question

Keep an eye on it, but don't let your power steering fluid drop too low or you'll be looking at a pump replacement too.

Madness takes it's toll: Please have exact change.
SES light + unplugged sensor = testicle ownage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cazzylee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cazzylee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cazzylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Rubber on metal rubbing noise? If so then it is coming from the rack. The only way that we have succesfully gotten rid of the noise is to replace the rack. It is an irritation thing not a safety thing.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
ringed1
ringed1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

$200-300.00? Is that just for the part or the entire job? I ask because I was quoted $950.00 by the dealer to replace the rack on my SC2 (five years ago).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ringed1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ringed1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ringed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Gadweller

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
Rubber on metal rubbing noise? If so then it is coming from the rack. The only way that we have succesfully gotten rid of the noise is to replace the rack. It is an irritation thing not a safety thing.
That is the noise....you state what the mechanic told me. It does not bother me that much right now and since you and my mechanic do not seem too concerned, I guess I will not be either. Thanks for the second opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gadweller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Gadweller

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringed1
$200-300.00? Is that just for the part or the entire job? I ask because I was quoted $950.00 by the dealer to replace the rack on my SC2 (five years ago).
I believe that is what he was quoting me for the job. Since he did not recommend it at this time, I did not question him further about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Golden Gal
Golden Gal is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: power steering leak/steering rack question

We HAD TO HAVE ours replaced last year as she wouldn't pass her safety inspection in VA. Another expensive cost! I think it was about $500.00. We got the parts from the dealership & another garage did the work.

Best of luck!

Golden Gal, VA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Golden Gal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Golden Gal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Golden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
Gadweller

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gal
We HAD TO HAVE ours replaced last year as she wouldn't pass her safety inspection in VA. Another expensive cost! I think it was about $500.00. We got the parts from the dealership & another garage did the work.
Golden Gal, I have a friend from Chesterfield, VA who just moved here to Georgia. She was quite excited that she did not have to go through safety inspections here, just emission inspections. Did they make you replace it just because it was making noise or were there other problems associated that required them to make you replace it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Bring that mechanic some cookies for the holiday.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
Gadweller

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Bring that mechanic some cookies for the holiday.
You know, I believe I will do just that. Thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!