SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Vehicle wont start... Is battery dead?

My L300 wont start today. The lights come on and all but when turned over, no sound... just click. I hear a slight whining sound from the engine before turning over but there is nothing when I turn the ignition. Just a click... Is this a battery issue? How do I solve this? The car is at home when this happened... thank god for that. Otherwise, I'd be terribly lost. I dont even have jumper cables.

On a side note, I noticed that the change oil soon light came on yesterday well before the 3000 miles interval. Perhaps this has some bearing on what happened today? This whole mess got started when I had hot water drop on the car between the hood and the front windshield.. Perhaps that hot water went inside the engine compartment thru the holes in front of the windshield?
I dont know... sounds like my car is finally getting old. It has 92k miles is more than 4 years old.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmaduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmaduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Vehicle wont start... Is battery dead?

Are Battery terminals tight? Just a thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
2001L300
2001L300 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would bet on the battery. The water probably doesn't matter -- think how much water falls between the base of the windshield and the hood when it rains or when you wash your car. Only had 2 suddenly-dead batteries in my life, and both sound like what you describe. Lights and stuff work, but the engine will only click. And after 92000 miles and 4 years, its probably time for a new one anyway.

2001 L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2001L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2001L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2001L300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I vote for the battery too...definitely if it's still the original. The whine noise you heard before cranking was probably the fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yup.. its the battery alright... fixed it today and everything is just hunky dory now. I want to be a little proactive and get the fuel pump changed too... Dont want to be stranded with fuel pump malfunction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmaduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmaduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote