SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
2Lime4U
2Lime4U is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
2004 VUE Red Line
Default 2007 Aura XE brake light problem

Hello! Here's the problem: The brake lights keep coming on as the car is being driven. They suddenly come on and stay on until the brake pedal is tapped lightly. If the pedal is hit too hard, they just flash off, then come back on again. No matter how many times this process repeats itself, it just continues over and over.
Car is out of warranty, so I'm looking for the correct fix. The dealer stated it was the brake switch. We replaced the switch with a new one from the dealership, however the issue continues.
Any suggestions?

'04 VUE RedLine AWD V6
'07 VUE AWD V6

'03 Chevy T-Blaser EXT V8
'67 Ply. Fury III Convert. # matching 383, all original!
'83 Firebird SE w/Hi-perf. SBC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2Lime4U's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2Lime4U reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2Lime4U is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2007 Aura XE brake light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lime4U View Post
Hello! Here's the problem: The brake lights keep coming on as the car is being driven. They suddenly come on and stay on until the brake pedal is tapped lightly. If the pedal is hit too hard, they just flash off, then come back on again. No matter how many times this process repeats itself, it just continues over and over.
Car is out of warranty, so I'm looking for the correct fix. The dealer stated it was the brake switch. We replaced the switch with a new one from the dealership, however the issue continues.
Any suggestions?
I think you are picking up a ground someplace other than the switch. One issue with 07's that has been the source of a lot of frustration and long hours of troubleshooting is a loose fuse block in the trunk. Pull out the felt panel and check to see if the fuse block is loose. it should be solid, immovable. If not, tighten the screws.
Next check the wires at each tail light and center light for a loose connector. Look for loose ground wires attached to the body in the tail light area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

mine was doing that, there is some tsb for that. mine did that under warranty. the cruise kept coming off by itself and the brake lights would turn on for no reason. they put some dielectric grease in the connector to the bcm. there is a connector that gets corrosion in it and it makes the light come on. i don't know if they perform tsb stuff out of warranty or not.

they put a bunch of that goo in the plug and it fixed it no problem. that was several months ago and i have not had it do it since.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 08-05-22-009

Date: December 04, 2008
Subject:
Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamp) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTCs C0161/C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models:
2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx
2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
2005-2009 Pontiac G6
2007-2009 Saturn AURA

Condition

Some customers may comment that intermittently the brake lights do not function correctly. Other symptoms may include extended pedal travel required to shift out of PARK, cruise control does not function correctly, and DTC C0161 and/or C0277 may be set.

Cause

The most likely cause of this condition is high resistance due to terminal fretting corrosion in the body control module (BCM) C2 connector (specifically pins C2-18, C2-31 and C2-59).

Correction

DO NOT replace the BCM for this condition. Disconnecting the C2 connector, adding dielectric silicone grease and reconnecting the C2 connector per the procedure below will correct the high resistance condition due to terminal fretting corrosion.
1. Remove the right side front floor console side trim panel to access to the Body Control Module (BCM).

2. Locate the C2 connector on the BCM.

3. Unlatch the C2 connector and disconnect the C2 connector from the BCM.

4. Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.

5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 (this step cleans up the terminal fretting corrosion).

6. Using the Tech 2(R), verify the brake pedal position sensor (BPPS) voltage is between:

^ 0.88V - 2.11V (for 2004-2006 model years)

^ 0.73V - 1.47V (for 2007-2009 model years)

7. Check for proper operation of the brake lights.

^ If the brakes lights are operating properly, remove the C2 connector again from the BCM and proceed to Step 8.

^ If the brake lights are not operating properly, proceed to Step 12.

8. Apply dielectric lubricant (clear gel) GM P/N 12377900 (In Canada, use P/N 10953529) on the BCM C2 pins (apply with a one-inch nylon bristle brush) on all the C2 connector pins (this will treat the pins against fretting corrosion).

9. Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.

10. Reinstall the right side front floor console side trim panel.

11. Using the Tech 2(R), check that the BPPS ratio is equal to BPPS learned home when the brake pedal is not depressed.

^ If they are equal, brake lamps should be operating correctly and no further steps are necessary.

^ If they are not equal, perform the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration procedure in SI to complete the repair.

12. Check the brake lights for proper operation. If incorrect, refer to SI and perform normal diagnostics.

Warranty Information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
gregh2000

2007 AURA XR

Here is a pic of what the plug looks like I guess with the goo on it. The dealer gave me the tsb sheet.

Mine would just turn on when driving down the highway and sometimes it would turn off for a few seconds and be able to use the cruise again, but they would come on and off randomly. The brake lights don't turn on when the key is out so that is a plus I guess, lol.

Anyway, after the dealer did those steps it has not given me anymore trouble. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143276113.jpg (49.0 KB, 187 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
2Lime4U

2009 AURA XE
2004 VUE Red Line

Thanks for your response!
We'll be using the info you provided to fix this up either tomorrow or Saturday morning...
I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

'04 VUE RedLine AWD V6
'07 VUE AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2Lime4U reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
gregh2000

2007 AURA XR

Hope it helps. That is what the dealer gave me after they fixed it. It says in the instructions that calibration of the brake pedal using the tech2 may be needed. Hopefully just putting the goo on there fixes it otherwise you might have to take it in. You could call and ask since it is a TSB if they would fix it free out of warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
2Lime4U

2009 AURA XE
2004 VUE Red Line

Situation update: We're happy to report the problem is cured.

Last weekend (8-8-09) we followed information in the TSB as provided by gregh2000. We only needed to follow the first 5 steps of the tsb correction steps, plus the addition of some dielectric lubricant to the C2 connector to cure the issue.

Thanks for your help!

'04 VUE RedLine AWD V6
'07 VUE AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
gregh2000

2007 AURA XR

Sweet, glad it worked. Weird that it is so simple, lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
FASTLOUIE
FASTLOUIE is on a distinguished road

11-9-09
Have exact same problem myself, took advice and used lubricant on J2 / C2. This did not solve problen, note lights come on as soon as key is inserted prior to starting vehicle. (note have not had code reset - maight this be what's needed and who can do this the cheapest?)

Also cruise controll will not engage. I'm thinking after some additional research that it may be the brake pedal postiion sensor????

The kicker is I had it at my dealer last week (I'm 2,000 beyond warranty - go figure) and they sent me away saying there were no additional error codes and that they were not sure what the problem may be.

Any help on my easiest / cheapest recorse would GREATLY be appreciated.

Louis
St. Louis, Mo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FASTLOUIE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FASTLOUIE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FASTLOUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Toaad
Toaad is on a distinguished road

Wanted to say that i had the same problem and i followed the TSB instructions and it worked. It's super simple, all you have to do is remove a clipped on panel on the passenger side floor, towards the center console, grab some dielectric grease and i used a clean tooth brush to smooth it evenly over the plug, i hit C1 and C2 which are the two large plugs with the blue latches on them. To remove the plug all you do is pinch in the latch and pop it out.

Saved me a bunch of time and money, thanks everyone! If i get time i'll post some pics

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toaad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toaad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Auranamous
Auranamous is on a distinguished road

I have tried the dialectric grease and it has not helped. I just coated each of the pins. Should I try applying more?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Auranamous's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Auranamous reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Auranamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auranamous View Post
I have tried the dialectric grease and it has not helped. I just coated each of the pins. Should I try applying more?
Unfortunately, the dielectric silicone grease does not fix this issue for everyone. It is an all-too-common issue that the Aura, Malibu & G6 (sister cars) all share. I don't believe that even GM has figured this one out yet considering what I've read about what the dealers are doing to try to solve it. Beside the brake position sensor, they have tried replacing the EBCM, the traction control switch & even the BCM. I don't have any simple answer for you. If you ask me, GM should be fixing this for free considering that it's a huge safety issue having your brake lamps on when you aren't braking & go off when you are. If it were my car, I'd start by calling GM customer service directly & asking them what they are going to do to fix it. Please keep us updated so others can benefit from your experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Wow, all this to save $2 on gold plated contacts.... There is no excuse for this. Sorry, I'm an engineer in the connector industry that makes high quality connectors.

If it ain't broke it's over designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
Wow, all this to save $2 on gold plated contacts...
That would make cars too reliable & manufacturers don't have much incentive to do that. They are incentivized to make them last about three years. Too cynical? I know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Auranamous

I called 1-800-553-6000 and spoke with a Rep who listened to the issue, took down my info, and gave me a case#. She conferenced me with the dealership to arrange repair. She was not able to get the diagnostic fee waived but mentioned one needing to be done so GM can verify the exact problem. The Rep said if it is a safety issue they would "possibly provide cost assistance."

I am somewhat satisfied as long as GM foots at least half the bill. It's the holidays but I'm not trying to look like Rudolph from behind, going down the highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Auranamous reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Having the brake lamps working backwards of their design is a huge safety issue, IMHO. GM is well aware of the extent of this issue. Why there has been no action by the NTSB is beyond me. I guess not enough accidents have been attributed to it yet. My 2 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
2007aura
2007aura is on a distinguished road

i had the same issues with mine...The computer went bad in my car and the pins that plug into the computer went bad too..mine was fixed about a year ago and its been fine ever since

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2007aura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2007aura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2007aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Was this covered under warranty?
If not, how much did you have to shell out?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Auranamous

update:
Took the car to the dealer. Paid $95 for diagnostic. They called back 2 hours later saying thr repair was minor and would be 47.50 to repair the EBCM connector. They called me back 20 minutes later to pick up my car. I have a strong feeling all they did was perform the service bulletin but they did the last couple of steps to adjust the other controls. I called the rep back at Saturn and she was busy with another customer. Monday I expect for her to tell me that Saturn will reimburse my repair cost. It's not a lot of money compared to other dealer repairs. It's just the principle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!