SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
meseville
meseville is on a distinguished road

Default Drain on battery?

I search the postings and saw that this was a common problem but did not find a solution. 1998 SC2 has a dead battery about once a month. Alternator would put out about 14.5 volts in car. Took Alternator to autozone and they bench tested it ... good voltage but bad bearings ... I replaced alternator with new alternator. Same problem. I charged the battery with a battery charger and it took a charge ... month later I had a dead battery. Autozone checked battery on bench and said it was ok ... month later the battery was dead. I replaced battery with a 7 month old spare battery, it also was a stronger battery. Took car to Autozone and they checked the entire system in the car ... All checked great ... month later the battery was dead. The signs of an electrical problem include: screwy on/off/dim dash lights; rough idle; poor shifting automatic transmission; sometimes doors won't unlock; of course, slow or no cranking. I am guessing it is some kind of battery drain but I do not have a good approach to locating it. Also I live in Cincinnati Ohio and my daughter has this dead car 90 miles way in Columbus Ohio. The battery voltage reads 12.5 Volts when the car is not running and 14.5 volts with the car running so the wires to the alternator must be connected properly. I also cleaned the battery cables.
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meseville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meseville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meseville is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Drain on battery?

How often is the car driven?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

In the list ,signs of an electrical problem , are you listing symptoms known.
Or are you saying these things have occurred ,on this car ,while in operation?
The trunk lite would be my best guess ,otherwise .
pull down the back seat to see if it is on ,with the trunk shut.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

This may help
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...49#post1146449

Also, make sure that the battery cables are completely tightened as well as clean. Be very careful not to overtighten them.

Check the connections at the other end of the cables as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meseville View Post
The signs of an electrical problem include: screwy on/off/dim dash lights; rough idle; poor shifting automatic transmission; sometimes doors won't unlock; of course, slow or no cranking.
Looks like you've been here awhile: You did replace the original ECTS, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
meseville

The posting referenced above mensioned pluging a device into the ciggerette (spelling) lighter. This might be a possibility since my daughter is driving the car nowdays. I will check with her. I removed the light in the trunk several months ago. Since the battery problem of yesterday, my daughter started the car (no problem) and drove it to her appartment this afternoon. I will retreve the car from Columbus (90 miles away) in about a week and try to diagnose the problem. Seems odd that electrical problems occured yesterday then she was able to start the car today and drive home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help meseville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
meseville

No sure what Dr B is asking about the systoms. Daughter said she was in the car trying to get out when then the door locks failed to open and she was trapped in the car. The brake and antilock started flashing. No other info at this time other than she did eventually did get out of the car and she called me at midnight. Do you think that maybe the electric door lock remained "locking", power on for some reason, that prevented here from getting out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Most cars, with or without electric door locks, still have the lock/unlock tabs/stems by the shoulder portion of the doors, remember? Or else they're buried as a rocker style switch in the door release lever. This reminds me of one of my nephews that grew up with electric door locks. One day the power door locks died and he couldn't open the door and looked at me all puzzled. I firmly stared at him and said "look over your shoulder and PULL UP the lock stem!" Spoiled children. How long do we have to have to hold their hands before they begin to think for themselves?

Does your daughter have a habit of leaving the dome light on or the parking lights on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote