SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default how does a/c work

It has been a long time since I ran my a/c.
Like, a couple of years.

Anyway, before I try kicking it on this year, I would like to know - if it does have a leak, will using the a/c make it leak more/faster?

In other words, should I check for leaks before running it?

Guess I need to also re-familiarize myself on how to clean the drain line.

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~76K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: how does a/c work

What's the difference? Either it leaks or not. If it leaks you have to evacuate the system to fix it anyway so it doesn't make much difference how much it leaked.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Do you damage components by running below a certain pressure?

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~76K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

No, there is a pressure switch so that if pressure is too low, it is disabled.

So if it is below pressure, you can't turn the AC on and damage anything.

By coincidence, just posted a link to the AC drain video this morning
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234845

edit: couldn't find a definitive answer, but sometime around '99-00, S-series would run the compressor when you turned on Defrost in the winter

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 06-21-2018 at 01:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Thread title made me think of this representative diagram (color coded)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207909

gas (the Freon) cools as it expands in the evaporator, and your AC system blows air over the cold evaporator in into your car.

The Freon gets pumped and compressed by the compressor and pumped through the condenser, where airflow from the car moving, or the fan blowing, cools it off, then is pumped back to the evaporator where it is allowed to expand, cooling off again

and this actual Saturn diagram (not color coded)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231580

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Melissa_M, you have nothing to lose by turning on ac. Either it works or doesn't. There's a mid point between where it works but not enough cold air comes out the vents. The pressure switch is a go/no go point where too much refrigerant is lost and pressures drop too low when this pressure switch tells the engine computer to disabled power to the as compressor. This protects the compressor from destroying itself because refrigerant moves lubricating oil. Compressed refrigerant becomes a liquid and a liquid moves oil better than when its a gas. No refrigerant, no oil lubrication. If allowed run workout refrigerant, the compressor won't have lubricating oil and destroys itself so a pressure sensor determines when too disable compressor operation when too much refrigerant is lost. This is the leak no one wants to find but will ruin to the store for refill kits to refill.........a leaking system.

Turn on ac, set blower speed to any setting and either the compressor engages (the center portion turns) or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_M View Post
It has been a long time since I ran my a/c.
Like, a couple of years.
From what I've read and heard, this is not good. I've been told to try and run the A/C every few months to keep things lubricated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
From what I've read and heard, this is not good. I've been told to try and run the A/C every few months to keep things lubricated.
Yup, I know. Saturn told us that at the owners orientation.

I engaged it but I think I'm out of luck.
Didn't hear that lovely twang noise, and looking at the compressor, the center part isn't turning.

The compressor was removed/moved when my water pump was done. I see that the elec. connector on top is clicked on (I didn't wiggle it). Are there more?

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~76K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

98% of vehicle ac problems are due to a leak in a sealed system meant to hold refrigerant that's always under pressure whether or not ac is used. Like tires, ac holds refrigerant and a lot of it so gas has pressure. A leak occurs from normal wear and tear. Try keeping a refrigerator running in a car and see how long it runs before it fails. Refrigerators use copper, a much stronger metal than aluminum and stands in one position for most of its life.

Two ways to verify a leak - bypassing a pressure switch with a paper clip or buy an inexpensive uv blacklight to find the source of the leak. A paper clip will simply check and verify compressor operation (or not) and verify a leak occurred. A uv light simply shows where the leak is. Once a leak is found, you can determine whether or not you can make repairs to replace parts then decide if you can perform the advanced portion using gauges and vacuum pump to finish and restore ac function or pay a shop to perform this task at much lower cost than having a shop make all repairs. Finding the source of the leak is simple. Replacing parts is simple. Using refrigeration gauges and vacuum pump are advanced skills not everyone is capable of.

The simplest repair may be a leak from one or both service valves requiring valve stem replacement. Examples of dye may be seen in one or both valves and glow under uv light under shade, dusk or night time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote